cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about XMP

Somethingwhatev
Level 7
First the specs that matter: 8700k @ 4.4ghz all cores synced, asus maximus x formula, gskill trident z's 16gb(8x2).

I had this computer built on ibuypower and whoever set up the bios manually set the cpu to sync all cores @4.4 and I have no idea what other settings they changed. If I set it to XMP to get my ram running at 3000mhz will it override whatever CPU settings they manually entered?

I know they other option is to enter the DRAM frequency manually along with the timings, system agent voltage and cpu vccio, but i'm terrified that i'm going to do something wrong and brick this expensive computer.
6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi, save your current settings under Overclocking Profiles - that way you can always revert back.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

As said above, First save the settings as profile 1..Changing to xmp will change cpu core settings made, but you can change it back to sync all cores after xmp is set..

rjbarker
Level 11
^^^^ When he sets XMP Profile it wont change his clock speed (multiplier or effect his "sync all cores" at all)....some voltages will be changed like VCCIO and SA.and others...if you didnt build the PC and are completely unfamilair with the BIOS take the time to read thru some OC guides...
........setting manual Memory speeds is quite simple......ensure your primary timings (first 4) are set to your default RAM Timings ....leave the Sub timings on Auto....set Ram speed to the rated speed...set the RAM Voltage vDIMM to the rated voltage....thats it..!
BUT do as they said and save a profile before you start playing around....

Alright I just did it manually. 3000mhz, 16-16-16-38, 1.35v. The VCCIO and SA I left on AUTO and they're at 1.21v and 1.18v respectively. Not sure If I need to stress test this but i'm going to run BFV for a while see if it crashes.

Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it.

rjbarker wrote:
^^^^ When he sets XMP Profile it wont change his clock speed (multiplier or effect his "sync all cores" at all)....some voltages will be changed like VCCIO and SA.and others...if you didnt build the PC and are completely unfamilair with the BIOS take the time to read thru some OC guides...
........setting manual Memory speeds is quite simple......ensure your primary timings (first 4) are set to your default RAM Timings ....leave the Sub timings on Auto....set Ram speed to the rated speed...set the RAM Voltage vDIMM to the rated voltage....thats it..!
BUT do as they said and save a profile before you start playing around....

try it... leave OC settings on auto, then set cores to sync all( as in his case) , save. Go back and change OC settings to XMP and see what happens*

rjbarker
Level 11
Good stuff...by setting it manually you havent messed with your CPU OC at all.....best test for ya right there....game on!!! P95 isnt the most exciting thing to play 😉