Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Hi All,
    Great Article DAGMAR, Thanks Its very appropiate for me!!

Recently Purchased the ROG CG8580 - Extreme which came with Win 8 installed with IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) on it!
    BUT, I am going to Install Win 7 Pro x64 on the Original Drives - 1 x Sandisk SSD & 1 x 2TB Seagate HDD. Have Backed up the Win 8 for Later Use
    etc and Both Drives are Now "UNALLOCATED"!! Once I've Set the "SATA Configuration" to "RAID" and the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Screen" comes Up, to Create the RAID Volume (With above in Mind), Should I Set the RAID Volume to "RAID -0" OR should I Set It to Something else???

Having SSD (Sandisk Extreme 120MB SSD) Mixed with the Seagate HDD is What Concerns me, But Guess it works! Also, I Understand that the "TRIM" function is Nowhere to be found!! Maybe someone can enlighten me!!

I had also decided to Download the CG8580 Win 7 x64 "Chipset" & "SATA" files from the ASUS Download Site:
    https://www.asus.com/Desktops/ROG_CG...rt_Download_30

What Concerns me is there is very little Info about What files Should be Installed (No Install Guide, No Readme etc) which help me decide what should be Installed First, ie What dependancies exist! EG Should I Install the "Intel Chipset" before the MEI (Management Engine Interface) etc.,
    and thats just the Chipset Files, Never Mind the SATA drivers etc which SEEM to also included the IRST files. Hopefully Someone can enlighten me with this as well. I have requested tech support from ASUS, But as yet No Reply to what File's should be installed 1st etc. I'm Sure there must be some sequence / Order of installation that need to be Met, But I dont like having to Guess!!!

Anyway I'll Have a Look at the Intel Site & IRST and see what comes out of that, meantime if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would certainly appreciate it!!

Shrike

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Thank you for the kind words mate. Nice to know that it has helped you out a bit.

Let me just clarify some stuff here.

You can not raid your SSD with the mechanical drive you have. So that sorts that out.

May I suggest you post up in the open forum, start your own thread and we can walk you through the whole process. As to a guide, well I did write one but for another place - and in that article I give you a list of what to do in what order from before you even start to install the OS.

Let me see if I can pull it out and post up here for you.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Thanks HiVizMan,

"You can not raid your SSD with the mechanical drive you have. So that sorts that out."

Guess I'm getting Confused as to What's going on With this whole issue of Setting Up the Intel Rapid Storage (IRST) and Windows 7 x64.

I was under the Impression that My New CG8580 with Win 8 installed on Had the IRST Installed on it, and the SSD was was PART of the SetUp for the IRST and Rapid response Technology.

From the "P8Z77-V" MB Manual (Section 4.4 RAID Configurations) and the "RAID – What Is RAID? And Setup Guide For First Timers" article, the RAID Level (Type) required to SetUp the IRST under windows 7 x64, I GUESSED AT "RAID -0". It clearly states in the Manual that "Use of two new identical hard disk drives is required for this setup". Identical Hard Disk Drives is what set off the alarm bell's!!

If I am correct in my thinking, the SSD is used for Caching ONLY and refers to the "Intel Smart Response Technology" and "Intel Rapid Start Technology" (ISRT & IRST), While the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology", Which REQUIRES the RAID SetUp (RAID 0 from what I can Figure Out),

SO HOW DID ASUS MANAGE TO TO SETUP THE "Intel® 2012 Desktop responsiveness technologies" ON THE CG8580 WITH 1 x SSD & 1 x HDD??? THE "responsiveness technologies" IS COVERED IN THE P8Z77-V MB MANUAL AND THE "E7279_CG8580 Users Manual", Chapter 6, "Using the Utilities"/"Introduction to Intel® 2012 Desktop responsiveness technologies".

Seems I'm missing some vital Info here or I'm just really Confused, so back to the Drawing board and will Follow up on your Suggestion to "post up in the open forum" and also read up on the article's you have pulled Up for me!

Your help IS VERY MUCH appreciated - THANKS
    Shrike

Ah right I see what is going on here.

Mate you do not have RAID.

What you are looking for is ISRT - they are two different things. Lets not clutter this RAID thread please so post your own thread.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

New ROGer Array

Can you raid a G74Sx DH73 like this?

You need to have two hard drives to do a RAID I do not know if a HD73 has two hard drives, if you are asking can you do the system cache then again I do not know I would suggest you post your question in the laptop section. I only know motherboards.

ROG Member Array

Hi i have a crosshair v formula with two ssd's in raid 0 and ar planing to putt 5 3Tb hard drives in raid 5 is this possible or do i need to get a raid card? an what happens to a software raid if you change to a new motherboard?

You will need a RAID card. Some of the SATA controllers on the board are third party.

ROG Member Array

Hiv maybe you can stop my confusion, my old pc had a raid 0 on it, 2 drives. Now i got an ssd and mirrored the drives to the ssd. Not knowing how to dismantle a raid i simply went into bios and removed raid function and set it to sata drives. now here is where it gets funky. I was fully expecting to format the drives as i was now running from an ssd but i apparently only had 1 drive installed, when i investigated further the drives were still in raid but everything on the computer stated they were 2 individual drives minus on system.

So i thought must be something still in the bios and forgot about it. Now i changed MB's and plumbed all the drives in, never put anything in bios for raid. When i booted up low and behold the drives are still in raid 0. i can use hotswaps, i can add more drives and they arnt added to the raid, im running my os from a stand alone ssd and hotswap works. Everyone i ask says this isnt possible but tada its doing it ?

im not over fused and to be honest im not wanting to remove it but just cannot understand how its doing it. And i even tested the drives in a mates pc, one drive alone looks blank, both in together and they click into raid and have all data on them.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Henkenator68NL PC Specs
    Henkenator68NL PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 5960X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Graphics Card #1R9-290X
    Graphics Card #2R9-290X Matrix Platinum
    Graphics Card #3HD 6970
    Graphics Card #4HD 5970
    MonitorAcer Predator XB720H 144herz 1ms
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 850 1TB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Watercooled loop
    CaseCooler Master HAFX and Storm Stryker
    Power SupplySeasonic Gold 1250W
    Keyboard Logitech G19
    Mouse RAT 7
    Headset Logitech G35
    Mouse Pad Steel series
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X 5.1 Surround
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Trim support in RAID0, more widely available !

Intel SSD's (like 520 series) are now also supporting trim in RAID 0 on Z87 platforms! You have to use Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) 11.0 or greater and use the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox to activate trim.
    Details can be found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&DwnldID=18455

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast