cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Z EXTREME BUILD - Random Freeze cannot find solution after many troubleshooting

bensasi
Level 7
Hello All,

So I have put a build together since last year end of summer. The built started with:

• Asus ROG Z Extreme x399
  • AMD Thread-ripper 1950x first gen
  • Enermax ELC-LTTRTO360-TBP LIQTECH 360 TR4 I
  • EVGA SC2 1080 ti
  • 64GB (4 x 16GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz
  • Seagate Barracuda 6Tb for all the other files.
  • CORSAIR HXi Series, HX1000
  • 27" BENQ PD series as main screen.
  • 24" BENQ BL series for second screen. both connected via Mini Display

Machine running great and I even added a 2nd 1080ti.
Been using it for more about a year no issues at all and turned on all the time or being used to Render.

So about a year later I decided to upgrade and eliminate that stupid lag that Maya is causing and all the heavy 3D Scenes and speed up rendering.

I first started with adding 2 x 2080ti. when I got them I realized that all 4 wont fit on my case nor fit on the Mobo directly.
So I took the 2x 1080tis out and tests the new ones 2080ti. There were some issues with BIOS& Drivers but eventually I upgraded all that stuff and fixed it and they were running fine mounted straight into the board. PCIE 1 & 3 as recommended by ASUS. Performance was good but some heating issues because they just did and the case did not help. Espeically for the 3 rd lane.

Then I upgraded 4 more Sticks of RAM to hit 128Gb (8 x 16Bb) of G.SKIL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz for Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK. Even tho it says for Intel but they worked fine on my machine that is AMD. Also bought more of the same to keep them all consistent because they were working fine.
Also realized that the Mobo is Quad Channel Memory Architecture but the memory sticks I have bought already are Dual Channel and yet worked fine.

So when I got my self in this upgrade I realized that I had to upgrade my case because I wont be able to fit 4 GPUs sandwiched and directly on the board so have to use PCIE extenders.
So got a new case and got best PCIE extenders to not loose performance while rendering. Thermaltake AC-050-CO1OTN-C1 TT Premium PCI-E x16 3.0 Extender Riser Cable
Also upgrade PSU to EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, 80+ TITANIUM

So now after rebuilding everything on the new case: Hydra VII Modular Tower Case.
I test some GPU performance tests on Redshift and Octane benches and results were great and temps were great.

Updated Build now:

• 4 x GPUs - 2 x 2080ti + 2 x 1080ti
  • 4 x Thermaltake AC-050-CO1OTN-C1 TT Premium PCI-E x16 3.0 Extender
  • 128Gb RAM (8x 16GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz
  • 1 x 1TB M.2 Samsung 970 PRO Series NVMe (Windows)
  • 2 x 500GB M.2 Samsung 960 EVO Series NVMe (All working projects and files on these 2)
  • 1600 T2, 80+ TITANIUM EVGA SuperNOVA
  • 1 x 6TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5
  • Case: Hydra VII Modular Tower Case. Open case.
  • BIOS: 1601 UP TO DATE.

Ran the machine did some tests to see if GPUs work well and I don't loose performance because that's the whole point of this build. to be able to work faster no lags and render fast to meet deadline and also learn without getting slowed down by the machine.

So I was happy and excited about the new machine even tho it took time and lots of money.

Then a random freeze started to happen. The machine just stops working cannot move the mouse. Computer running and i can see my desktop but just full freeze. This freeze can happen right away after Sleep mode or restart. Sometimes takes a whole day or half day for it to happen. So it took me time to test and wait and use it fully. This freeze happens while not using as well. So very random and frustrating.
I would have to restart by pressing the physical button on the Mobo since my case now is open and does not have buttons for restart only turn off and on.

So I started trouble shooting:

• First the GPU's especially the 2080ti. Realized its not them nor the 1080tis because I ran them each individually on different PCIe extenders. So not the GPU's not the Extenders.

• Second: the memory. disconnected the new 64Gb and just used the ones I already have. Issue still there and I ran memory diagnosis on both 64g set up and the 128g set up no errors.
  • I even went ahead and troubleshooted the ones I have been using for a year and still same issue even with one Stick.

• Third: HDD. Unplugged all of them and just used one M.2 x 500gb one. Then I cloned windows from that into the 1 tb M.2 and same issue.
  • Then I formatted that new M.2 and installed a fresh Windows on it. Same issue still happens.

• Fourth: PSU. Bought another PSU and ran tests. Same issue. (I did not switch cables tho and bought same brand just a different Tier. Listed on AMD verified products to use with this mobo since the one I had wasn't on there so thought might be the issue : EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 80+ PLATINUM, 1600W

So now the the Freeze is still happening and for some reason that SATA HDD I had started making weird noises lol. And even this other SATA I bought for backup came in and started making weird noises. So everything just wasnt working.

Now my debate is: Is the GPU's causing this issue because they r not connected straight to the board? Should I plug back the OLD PSU and Mount one of the GPUs back on the board without PCIe Extenders?
Basically bring my machine back to its first build where it was fully stable and NO FREEZE and see if that was still happening.

Can it be the Mobo? Should I go back in BIOS? Please help because I spent a lot of time on this and don't wanna send my board back and have them ask me for all this other things to do or find out it was something minor?

Thank you all in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

ssaa
Level 7
it happens randomly i got this problem too in Z170 HERO alpha with 6700k, tried different psu, didn't work, i have run my new setup z390 extreme 9900k 2080ti for couple days and it haven't had freeze issue. But keep in mind I upgraded the bios in z170, and it happens less than before so I believe its bios problem.
Btw your builds are insane.

ssaa wrote:
it happens randomly i got this problem too in Z170 HERO alpha with 6700k, tried different psu, didn't work, i have run my new setup z390 extreme 9900k 2080ti for couple days and it haven't had freeze issue. But keep in mind I upgraded the bios in z170, and it happens less than before so I believe its bios problem.
Btw your builds are insane.

So I found out that the sleep mode is the issue. I have the poweroptions on AMD Perf and got it set on never put for machine and screen. Left it running for almost a week and no freeze. Then I decide to try the sleep mode maybe its gone but it frooze after coming back from sleep.

So not sure if this is a Windows 10 update of power plans vs Bios update that I had to do after I got the new RTX. Before that machine running well. That;s why I thought the RTX might be the issue. But I think its a bios maybe motherboard + win powerplan.

i attached some photos of the build for u to see if you are curious. 🙂

Issue still happening not sure why!