cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703 brightness setting issue

blazejecar
Level 7
Hi all,

I recently got the strix GL703GE laptop and everything is working fine except I can't change the brightness settings for neither the keyboard backlight nor the screen. The function + key doesn't change the brightness levels at all and if I go into for example AuraCore to change the backlight brightness, I can move the slider but it doesn't change the brightness either and just resets back to default immediately. I could set the keyboard colors and everything properly, but brightness cannot be adjusted, same for the screen, every setting works except the brightness (and also the function for turning the screen off doesn't work).

Any idea on what the issue could be and how I could fix it? Is it a specific driver I have to download? Thanks in advance for any feedback!
11 REPLIES 11

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Reinstall ATK Package

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Reinstall ATK Package

I was thinking that but on asus' website there's no ATK package download for this model...or is it under something else?

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL703/HelpDesk_Download/
my model is the GE with 64-bit windows 10.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Have you tried the "ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver V2.0.2.0"?

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Have you tried the "ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver V2.0.2.0"?

I did and it did not solve the issue
Also I'm not sure if it's a keyboard issue because I can't change the setting manually either, as I described.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
This is the link for the ATK package, if you wanna give it a shot; https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win10_64_VER100050.zip
It's from the GL502VSK support page. The exact same thing you described happens if I don't install this.

This is where my original ATK package installer is: C: esupport/eDriver/Software/Driver/DCH/ASUS/ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver/ from your support page (ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver V2.0.2.0)
There also is a window's store app Asus keyboard hotkeys
At the bottom of your support page is a "hotfix"
Last try to Uninstall then reinstall, windows store app ROG Aura Core; Utilities: Aura Service "(per instructions)"
If none of that works let me know I have one last suggestion.

tap002 wrote:
This is where my original ATK package installer is: C: esupport/eDriver/Software/Driver/DCH/ASUS/ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver/ from your support page (ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver V2.0.2.0)
There also is a window's store app Asus keyboard hotkeys
At the bottom of your support page is a "hotfix"
Last try to Uninstall then reinstall, windows store app ROG Aura Core; Utilities: Aura Service "(per instructions)"
If none of that works let me know I have one last suggestion.

downloaded the hotfix and it did not fix the problem. The store app for Rog AuraCenter also does not work for me, now it doesn't even let me change the keyboard backlight colors so I reverted back to the version I had. This also means that during the process I reinstalled AuraCore as well, so the issue still isn't solved 😕

All those error codes make me leery, don't know what to tell you. The ATK package you should be able to uninstall and reinstall, (ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver V2.0.2.0) Asus keyboard hotkeys driver V2.0.2.0 is your ATK you want to install!!! When you run the exe it should ask if you want to uninstall if it is already installed if not it should just install.
Prior to Asus Utility AuraService_v3.02.23_4_7 there were three pieces of software for the keyboard: The store app; Aura Lighting Service and ("ROG Aura Core Component" no longer available on the support page). Using your esupport folder the location for Aura Lighting Service' and "ROG Aura Core Component" should be C: esupport/edriver/software/Win32App/Asus/ see if you have "ROG Aura Core Component" if you do uninstall everything and start again, installing ATK first.
1. Go to MS store to install the latest version of ROG Aura Core.
2. Download and double click the Setup.exe to install the Aura Core Component app.
3. Download and run install.bat as administrator to install the Aura Lighting Service app.
Make sure you right click and run as administrator on the install.bat file to install the lighting service (AuraService_v3.02.23_4_7)
p.s I'm currently running the old lighting service because the version v3.02.23_4_7 splashes files on my C: drive and I have ocd for that kind of thing.

tap002 wrote:
All those error codes make me leery, don't know what to tell you. The ATK package you should be able to uninstall and reinstall, (ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver V2.0.2.0) Asus keyboard hotkeys driver V2.0.2.0 is your ATK you want to install!!! When you run the exe it should ask if you want to uninstall if it is already installed if not it should just install.
Prior to Asus Utility AuraService_v3.02.23_4_7 there were three pieces of software for the keyboard: The store app; Aura Lighting Service and ("ROG Aura Core Component" no longer available on the support page). Using your esupport folder the location for Aura Lighting Service' and "ROG Aura Core Component" should be C: esupport/edriver/software/Win32App/Asus/ see if you have "ROG Aura Core Component" if you do uninstall everything and start again, installing ATK first.
1. Go to MS store to install the latest version of ROG Aura Core.
2. Download and double click the Setup.exe to install the Aura Core Component app.
3. Download and run install.bat as administrator to install the Aura Lighting Service app.
Make sure you right click and run as administrator on the install.bat file to install the lighting service (AuraService_v3.02.23_4_7)
p.s I'm currently running the old lighting service because the version v3.02.23_4_7 splashes files on my C: drive and I have ocd for that kind of thing.
give me a couple of minutes and I'll upload and give you a link to the original ATK, Core Component and lighting service files from my esupport folder. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EGfmE0YEcEjR7OoHIU_5KS3upfv6WYEw?usp=sharing

THANK YOU! That has solved the issue 🙂