cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would Displayport or HDMI 2.0 to DVI-D let me get 120Hz on VG236 Monitor

Aamar
Level 7
Hi all

I recently upgraded my ancient graphics card to a Asus RTX 2080 Turbo OC, however I have an old monitor (VG236) with no displayport input, according to the manual the monitor is only capable of running 120hz with a Dual-Link DVI cable. Would a Display port or HDMI (output) to a Dual-Link DVI (input) would let me achieve 120hz.

Thank you
Aamar
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
Personally I would be more likely to trust a DP adapter. Unfortunately a lot of the HDMI adapters are only single link even if they have all of the pins. Either way I would try to find something online with reviews and read the reviews to make sure other customers were able to achieve a dual link connection with the adapter.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
xeromist is right, many people had the same dilemma. I had a headache trying to hook up an old 30" QXGA monitor which only has dual-link DVI, ended up using it for my second system with a compatible graphics card.

I haven't tried this cable personally, it appears to be one of very few worth investigating. It probably makes more sense to use that money to upgrade to a new monitor unless you can find one of these for cheap (albeit it needs another mini DP to DP adapter). https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MB571Z-Adaptor-DisplayPort-MacBook/dp/B001IF252C

Aamar
Level 7
Thank you sorry for the really late reply I had a lot trouble logging in my account, I did purchase a new moniter its the alienware 3418dw