cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I buy Crosshair vii - Owners please suggest

zebyte
Level 7
Hello people,

So I am building my first Ryzen PC after just returning my Maximus xi along with an 8700k (faulty motherboard). I am very confused regarding which motherboard should I purchase. My only options are Gigabyte or ASUS boards because none of the other brands are available in my country.

Initially I wanted to buy Crosshair vii but after going through some threads here and on reddit, it seems this board has too many issues.
1) Random shutdowns (Most reported problem so far)
2) Fan headers (even cpu fans) turning off randomly.
3) Lan and wireless disappearing when paired with a Corsair Power supply.

The problem is that some of the people who are having the above issues have stated that they are on the latest bios. So I need your help, the current owners of this board

A What do you suggest should I buy this board?
B Are you facing any of the above listed issues?
C Any of these issues present on the latest BIOS?

Kindly help me out, thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

fullerms
Level 7

• What processor do you want to pair the board with?
  • AM4 will be supported until 2020 (Ryzen 4th Gen or possibly 5th if we get lucky). Do you intend to upgrade the CPU as you go along? There is a risk that cheaper boards may not support future generations of the AM4 platform, read here.
  • Or is this is a build and forget it solution? If so, you are better off with a cheaper board based on the B450
  • Do you intend to OC to high levels? If so, you must pair the board with some good quality RAM (Samsung B Die if possible) to extract the max performance. Don't forget to include a quality PSU and case with good airflow.
  • Do you want granular control over every setting, or are you happy to go with preset options which may not be the best?

I bought this board so I can stay with the AM4 platform for as long as possible, and I like it. The system has been rock solid for me, and the only issue has been a dodgy temperature reading which I am trying to fix. My system specs in my profile if you are interested.

fullerms wrote:

• What processor do you want to pair the board with?
  • AM4 will be supported until 2020 (Ryzen 4th Gen or possibly 5th if we get lucky). Do you intend to upgrade the CPU as you go along? There is a risk that cheaper boards may not support future generations of the AM4 platform, read here.
  • Or is this is a build and forget it solution? If so, you are better off with a cheaper board based on the B450
  • Do you intend to OC to high levels? If so, you must pair the board with some good quality RAM (Samsung B Die if possible) to extract the max performance. Don't forget to include a quality PSU and case with good airflow.
  • Do you want granular control over every setting, or are you happy to go with preset options which may not be the best?

I bought this board so I can stay with the AM4 platform for as long as possible, and I like it. The system has been rock solid for me, and the only issue has been a dodgy temperature reading which I am trying to fix. My system specs in my profile if you are interested.

Thank you for answering.
1) 2700X for now and possibly 3700X sometime in the future.
2) Yes I would like an up gradable motherboard.
3) as above.
4) Yes i do intend to overclock as much as possible, Unfortunately I already purchased RAM (which i was using previously for my intel system) its GSKILL 3200mhz RGB ram, I do not think it is a B DIE.
5) I am fine with presets as long as they are not damaging / overheating my machine.

So you have never experienced Random shutdowns? Network adapter disappearing? Fans shutting off randomly? or any other such issues?

zebyte wrote:
So you have never experienced Random shutdowns? Network adapter disappearing? Fans shutting off randomly? or any other such issues?

No issues, except some wierd temperature reading issues with HWInfo.

zebyte wrote:

No random shutdowns experienced.

No network adapter disappearing.

I have experienced fans going wacko, this was UEFI 0702/0804, which had bad implementation of ASUS WMI. UEFI's prior and after non issue. ASUS WMI fixes an issues where when multiple programs access Super IO chip is does not go wacko. But for it to work UEFI must have it and SW must use it, or else you could run into issues. Some of the ASUS SW AFAIK still needs updates to use ASUS WMI, I know I no issues with HWINFO, SIV, AID64 and CPU-Z; even when multiple instances run concurrently.

IMO cracking board. Only yesterday on OCN, an owner of Gigabyte X470 was asking how he can lower SOC voltage, stated has only access to limited options (link). The C6H/C7H got a lot of stick around the web IMO, but I had zero issues with it really and which did rear there head got solved within reasonable time frame IMO. I believe to eek the best out of HW ASUS did nail it on these boards.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video