masterac
Level 8
just if this happened to someone

my computer has been runing fine

1950x
ssd samsung 960 2 to
1080 ti
F4-3600C17Q-64GTZR

but now for no reason i keep getting freeze out of nowhere, you name it, youtube on chrome crash or freeze, moving file or watching movie on vlc use to freeze for 15 second before keeping going ( seem to be a amd driver issue, because last reinstall i didn't use any of their driver and its fine)

but when my pc freeze, its a hard freeze can't do anything
and when i reboot, its either an infinity reboot loop of powering on and off, or if i take out the plug , wait and plug it back in, it get stuck on a code 00 for the ram, and thats it, not even a bios

i hade to restart it maybe 15 time with power cord to get it to boot, this error is new for me, appart from the new install the only thing i did was update my bios to latest 1601, i think i used to run on 0902, so if its the case i will go back to 0902

but could it be that the ram is the reason ? since its no compatible normaly with the 1950x, i have my eyes on the F4-2933C14Q2-64GTZRX if thats the case since now g.skill make ram for amd, but is it a gimmick or does it make a difference ?

thx
10 REPLIES 10

Retired
Not applicable
Maybe it's your overclock causing the problem? Have you tried disabling it and testing the system? 🙂
By the way, how do you know that code 00 is dedicated for random access memory malfunctioning? I'm just curious because I don't have any other Asuses booklets from the past. I wasn't encountering problems back then, so it wasn't in my interest to know them 😛

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Best to check the basics first. 00 typically means no CPU detected.

1. Clear the UEFI

2. Remove the CPU cooler and CPU whilst checking for bent pints

3. Reseat the CPU whilst checking for even mounting pressure on the cooler

4. Reseat memory modules

5. Check stand-off screws are not overtightened surrounding the memory and CPU.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

dejanh
Level 8
I have a similar setup to yours and I can tell you for certain that ASUS broke memory compatibility in all UEFI versions after 1003. They introduced some unknown timing and/or voltage changes that severely impact stability of high speed memory. This appears to have been done in order to make the board compatible with the 2nd generation chips but the issue has had pretty severe effects on 1st gen rigs. I’ve been battling with this issue for months now and am at the end of my patience. You could go for days with a flawless system, then have series of failures as you describe, and then go back to normal. For the past two months I was facing a BSOD after every cold boot due to memory issues. After I give it a warm restart, no problems any more.**If I go back to 1003 things go back to normal, but then I’m stuck on an ancient firmware release. I’m now contemplating to replace this board with the new Alpha board, but I am somewhat concerned I may have a repeat of the same issues as now.*

masterac
Level 8
Running on only 1 stick does the trick, i have been using memtest up to 900 % and ...nothing, all goes well, lucky each of my stick is 16gb so i don't end up with a really slow system, i am really hoping its a bad stick and not the MB

i already tested 2 out of 4, once each is done separatly i will try to combine then to 32 with

1+3
1+4
2+1
2+3
2+4
3+1
3+2
3+4
4+1
4+2
4+3

could it gave me error if i use incorrect ram emplacement ?

masterac wrote:
Running on only 1 stick does the trick, i have been using memtest up to 900 % and ...nothing, all goes well, lucky each of my stick is 16gb so i don't end up with a really slow system, i am really hoping its a bad stick and not the MB

i already tested 2 out of 4, once each is done separatly i will try to combine then to 32 with

1+3
1+4
2+1
2+3
2+4
3+1
3+2
3+4
4+1
4+2
4+3

could it gave me error if i use incorrect ram emplacement ?

This could still be due to poor mounting. I would advise you to check the above, and perhaps test with the motherboard outside of the enclosure if possible.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
This could still be due to poor mounting. I would advise you to check the above, and perhaps test with the motherboard outside of the enclosure if possible.

not possible to test oustide the case, but the pc was stable for more than a 1 year and a half, i don't see why it would be poor mounting.

but from the begining it would sometime give me an infinity boot loop, all tend to point the ram.

lately it would even kick me out of game, the ram is not otherclock

dejanh
Level 8
What happens if you go back to 1003? (To do this, you would need to do a flashback to 0503, then CMOS reset, then flashback to 1003, then another CMOS reset and configure from there.) I ask because I have had nothing but instability with the ZE after 1003 and finally got rid of the board last night, replacing it with the ZEA.

dejanh wrote:
What happens if you go back to 1003? (To do this, you would need to do a flashback to 0503, then CMOS reset, then flashback to 1003, then another CMOS reset and configure from there.) I ask because I have had nothing but instability with the ZE after 1003 and finally got rid of the board last night, replacing it with the ZEA.

i hope its not the solution, replacing the board while it suppose to keep working, its like going to a garage and the only solution is buying another car because the radio in your curent one isn't working

masterac wrote:
i hope its not the solution, replacing the board while it suppose to keep working, its like going to a garage and the only solution is buying another car because the radio in your curent one isn't working

New UEFI out today for the ZE. Worth a shot. AGESA 1.1.0.2 is supposed to somewhat improve memory compatibility. Regarding your specific point, that analogy would hold up if the issue was minor, but I found the ZE board to be problematic per se. I am now running nice and tight timings - CL14 with much tighter sub-timings - on my ZEA with my 64GB (4x16GB) of memory at 3000MHz and a rock-solid 4GHz OC on the 1950x at ~1.28V at full load. I haven't had a single crash, BSOD, problem with a cold start, dropped USB connection, or anything of the like that I used to experience on a fairly regular basis with the ZE. FWIW, I am glad that I replaced the board and still very unhappy that ASUS did not come out of the gate with the ZE as a more solid product. Consumers deserve better when they pay such a premium to start.

Hopefully in time I will be able to run my memory on the ZEA at the rated 3200MHz at CL14, but I can live with the current state for now. Going back and staying locked with the ZE on 1003 would not have been an option, and coupled with all other issues, I just could not take it any more.

Anyway, back to your issue, test 1003. I think you will find that your problems will disappear. Everything that you are describing sounds like the newly introduced memory incompatibility on UEFI >1003 (after adding support for 2nd gen Threadripper).