Did you mean: 

Connecting H115i Pro Fan Header to proper AIO/CPU Fan on ROG Maximus XI

Playmaker729
Level 7
Hi all, this is my first post here. I recently purchased:

-Corsair H115i Pro RGB Hydro Series Cooler
-ROG Asus Maximus XI Motherboard
-Intel i9 9900K

I already have other components (case, DIMM, fans, SSDs, PSU, etc.

My question is: When I'm connecting the H115i Pro pump tach cable to I connect it to the CPU_Fan header or the AIO header? The manual for the motherboard and the new H115i seem to contradict each other? I just want to make sure I get it right.

Thank you in advance!
Michael
5 REPLIES 5

Johnyt
Level 9
I would follow the instructions of the Corsair H115i Pro

The fan header connection on the 115i is only really there to satisfy the motherboard that there is cooling applied to the CPU. The power for the AIO is drawn via the SATA connector which is relayed to the fans themselves via the wires that come out of the pump assembly. The speed of the pump and fans is controlled by the iCue software that connects to the AIO System via the USB connector.

I connect mine as stated above, i.e. to the CPU header

You probably could connect to the AIO header but I'm not sure you could actually control the pump speed directly as the connector lacks the control wire. Also, you would have to configure the BIOS to state that the CPU fan header will be left open - you would have to look up how to do this.

davemon50
Level 11
I agree with the comments above. For error free operation connect the pump to the CPU_FAN header. This has been my experience in two builds.
Davemon50

I have the same contradiction between AIO instruction and Motherboard, the only difference will be if you connect to AIO header you can't control pump speed, it will always run at full speed. Pump speed is not a critical factor unless your trying to avoid a particular pump sound.

Thank you all for the advice and help! 😃