cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8-Pin Power Port & 4+4 Pin PSU issues

1981_Lucian
Level 7
Hi,

I'm in the process of designing a couple of different options for a new gaming PC. I have three ASUS motherboards I'm looking at and they all have an 8-pin power port. All the PSU's have 2 power cables (4+4). How do I solve this issue since no PSU's have the correct connection for this 1 x 8-pin port? I'm hesitant to use an adapter and risk frying the board. What have people done to solve this issue?
9 REPLIES 9

JustinThyme
Level 13
Even if the PSU doesn’t come with the cables you want there are plenty available aftermarket. I’ve not used what comes with even high end PSUs for a very long time. Like you I don’t want to use 4+4 for CPU or 6+2 for GPU. I also want heavier gauge wire for the high current connections.*
Several very nice aftermarket available where you can specify exactly what you want down to the exact length even and they will do a custom order for you. *

What PSU? Corsair makes custom kits for most of their offerings and aftermarket sellers have ready made kits on the shelf as well.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

The PSU i'm looking at is the EVGA SuperNOVA G3-1000-x1 1000 Watt (i might go 850 watt, 1000 seems to be overkill, but it's the same issue either way).

Where do you obtain the after market connectors? I found adapters to existing connections but nothing that would plug directly into the PSU and motherboard.

I'm starting to get really frustrated by this. The only solutions I keep finding online are to basically give my CPU 1/2 the power it's supposed to receive.

I cannot find a cable with a single 8-pin EPS 12V connector that connects directly to the PSU. If anyone knows where to find one of these, please let me know.

Has anyone had any luck fitting a 4+4 into the 8-pin connector on the MB? If anyone has please let me know what PSU is doing that.

Honestly, how hard is it to make a single 8-pin power connector? Do I have to do it myself?

Sorry for the rant, but this is getting on my nerves. A $3.00 connector is preventing a $2,000.00 purchase.

1981.Lucian wrote:
I'm starting to get really frustrated by this. The only solutions I keep finding online are to basically give my CPU 1/2 the power it's supposed to receive.

I cannot find a cable with a single 8-pin EPS 12V connector that connects directly to the PSU. If anyone knows where to find one of these, please let me know.

Has anyone had any luck fitting a 4+4 into the 8-pin connector on the MB? If anyone has please let me know what PSU is doing that.

Honestly, how hard is it to make a single 8-pin power connector? Do I have to do it myself?

Sorry for the rant, but this is getting on my nerves. A $3.00 connector is preventing a $2,000.00 purchase.

Cablemods makes good cables, excellent as a matter of fact but they take a few weeks to get. Lots of choices in material and colors*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Menthol
Level 14
The 4 + 4 pin cables connect together to fit in the 8 pin connector on the motherboard, some motherboards have an 8 pin and 4 pin connectors so power supply manufacturers have designed the power cables to either connect into one 4 pin or together into the 8 pin connector.

I do like the cable mod braided cables, they make a big difference in looks

NemesisChild
Level 12
1981.Lucian wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the process of designing a couple of different options for a new gaming PC. I have three ASUS motherboards I'm looking at and they all have an 8-pin power port. All the PSU's have 2 power cables (4+4). How do I solve this issue since no PSU's have the correct connection for this 1 x 8-pin port? I'm hesitant to use an adapter and risk frying the board. What have people done to solve this issue?

Most PSU manufactures split the 8-pin CPU cable into a 4+4 pin connection because some non-enthusiast boards only have a 4-pin CPU port.

As Menthol said, just use the 4+4 pin connector and you'll be fine.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Thank you all very much. This information is a life saver.

I'll probably go with cable mods if the 4+4 doesn't work. I read a lot of posts where there 4+4 was not fitting properly.

Will the 6+2 PCIe fit the 8-pin GPU? The same concept as the 4+4 I assume?

Menthol
Level 14
Yes, the 6+2 can be connected together for the 8 pin on your Video card

JustinThyme
Level 13
Oh the 4+4 works without a doubt. Most PSUs come with that for adaptability. Like Menthol said you get a 6+2 for the PCIE power because some of the more budget minded cards dont use two 8 pin. Example GTX 1080 uses 8 pin and 6 pin.

Like I said before I order up what I need as I like the aesthetics better and I dont have to wrestle the 2 pieces into one every time Im messing with it. My board the R6E has one 8 pin and one 4 pin header. My PSU came with an 8 pin and a 4+4. On initial build I just left the extra 4 pins tucked behind until I could take an inventory and order excatly what I needed. Try running dual GPUs, pretty much none of them come with enough cables.