Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyflyer View Post
    This has been normal behavior both for the z370 / z390 chipsets from cold boot....If memory serves me correct ...it's part of the memory training process.
    Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think it is because of the memory training as it does the same even with 'fast boot' enabled which should bypass memory training.

Another reason could be that my Z390 Auros master kind of "forgets" some settings when it is plugged out. By forgetting I mean WHEN ERP is enabled all connected USB devices are powered off after shutdown but here is the interesting part, if I enable ERP on that board and turn off PSU and then power on the PSU switch it would start providing power to USB ports and to fix this I would boot into windows and shut down from there and then it would cut down power to USB devices after the shutdown (unless I remove power cord and reconnect it then it would keep providing power to usb devices unless i do a proper shut down again) Maybe Maximus board is doing the something similar? When the power source is removed it forgets "fast boot" is disabled....But to rule this out I checked the ERP thing on this board and it behaves differently, after enabling ERP if I remove power cord and then connect it again it would power up USB devices for a second or two and then disable them (almost like it enforces bios settings as soon as power cord is connected again even when the system is off) so IDK whats causing this but believe me I did some extensive testing on the BIOS my MAXIMUS XI shipped with and it did not do the cold boots. The bios version itself was weird as it is not listed anywhere Luckily I have a photo of it which I just checked the version my motherboard shipped with was 0225
    Last edited by zebyte; 01-17-2019 at 12:50 AM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Phillyflyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zebyte View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think it is because of the memory training as it does the same even with 'fast boot' enabled which should bypass memory training.

Another reason could be that my Z390 Auros master kind of "forgets" some settings when it is plugged out. By forgetting I mean WHEN ERP is enabled all connected USB devices are powered off after shutdown but here is the interesting part, if I enable ERP on that board and turn off PSU and then power on the PSU switch it would start providing power to USB ports and to fix this I would boot into windows and shut down from there and then it would cut down power to USB devices after the shutdown (unless I remove power cord and reconnect it then it would keep providing power to usb devices unless i do a proper shut down again) Maybe Maximus board is doing the something similar? When the power source is removed it forgets "fast boot" is disabled....But to rule this out I checked the ERP thing on this board and it behaves differently, after enabling ERP if I remove power cord and then connect it again it would power up USB devices for a second or two and then disable them (almost like it enforces bios settings as soon as power cord is connected again even when the system is off) so IDK whats causing this but believe me I did some extensive testing on the BIOS my MAXIMUS XI shipped with and it did not do the cold boots. The bios version itself was weird as it is not listed anywhere Luckily I have a photo of it which I just checked the version my motherboard shipped with was 0225
    Here is the thread in which SilentScone@Asus provided info:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...d-boot-XI-Hero
    Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
    Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
    XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
    Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
    Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
    32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
    MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
    (5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
    (2) WD 1TB Black Edition
    Corsair 900 D

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array MrAgapiGC PC Specs
    MrAgapiGC PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Code
    Processor9900K
    Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M4B3600C18
    Graphics Card #1STRIX-GTX1080ti-O8G-GAMING
    MonitorAOC AGON AG2701QX (2)
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 256GB
    Storage #2Kingston Savage 500GB
    CPU CoolerNzxt X74 360mm AIO
    CaseNzxt H700
    Power SupplyEVGA 850 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Asus Spartha
    Headset Hyper X Cloud Revolver S
    Mouse Pad Hyper X Fury S 900mx420mm
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z337
    OS Windows 10 64btis
    Network RouterTpLink Archer C9
    Accessory #1 EKWB FANs all of them

Quote Originally Posted by Xpoint View Post
    Hello there,

I just finished my new Build about a month ago and since then I have the "issue" that my PC restarts two times after pressing the power button and the PC was disconnected from power since last boot. This isn't really an issue since it just delays the first boot of the day by 10 seconds but I wanted to ask if this could be an indicator that something isn't quite right.

I did not overclock anything except enabling XMP of my RAM. I even disabled MCE.
    I just read about someone experiencing power cycles with AURA. I use AURA too. Is this a known issue?

The power cycle always looks exactly like this:
    1. I press the power button and the PC turns on
    2. After exactly 1.5s the PC shuts off.
    3. After another 4.5s it turns back on.
    4. After another 1.5s it turns off again.
    5. After another 4.5s it turns on again and boots successfully.

This behavior is 100% reproducable.

Right before it shuts down it shows code 28 but I can't find it in the manual. Before that it shows 20 which I can't find either.
    Am I reading the manual wrong? What does 19-1C mean for example?

My system:
    • i9 9900K
    • Hero XI Hero Wi-Fi
    • G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB, DDR4-3200
    • Strix 1080 Ti
    • ASUS MG278Q
    • NZXT Kraken
    • EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 750W ATX

Do not worry is normal. that was present even on z270. so be calm do not worry about it.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyflyer View Post
    Here is the thread in which SilentScone@Asus provided info:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...d-boot-XI-Hero
    I have been through all these threads and read the explanations but why did it not do the cold boots on the bios version that shipped with my board.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Phillyflyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zebyte View Post
    I have been through all these threads and read the explanations but why did it not do the cold boots on the bios version that shipped with my board.
    That my friend...I can't answer......all I know is that it's been the norm on both Asus z370/z390 boards.....You always have the option to go back to bios 225.
    Last edited by Phillyflyer; 01-17-2019 at 03:36 AM.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
    Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
    XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
    Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
    Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
    32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
    MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
    (5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
    (2) WD 1TB Black Edition
    Corsair 900 D

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

This is absolutely normal behavior for pretty much every board made in the last 20 years. Silent Scone to my knowledge became an admin on this enthusiast site because he got suckered into it but not an ASUS employee unless thats a new development. He wandered in from OCN one day and never left......Twilight zone. None the less while he and I have had our run ins he is a knowledgeable guy. There are next to no ASUS employees here. The better known guys you see in the Realbench heavy multitasking porting are ghosts here. Shamino blows in a few times a year when he gets bored, Ive seen Elmor post like twice. They spend more time on HwBot. Most Ive seen lately is Raja but he is in marketing. Bahz used to be the main Admin and ASUS employee but he moved on to greener pastures. Cl Albert is an north america CS rep and great guy to help out when you have RMA issues.

None the less, when you remove the 5V standby from the boards everything has to reinitialize It has to load the CPU parameters, VGA parameters, PCIE parameters, HDD parameters and memory training starts over again as well. Happens every time on every board when AC power is removed. Leave the power up and it wont. This behavior is 100% reproduceable because its 100% the way its supposed to work. Without this initialization process the box of parts and wires would never know its a PC.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-17-2019 at 03:46 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Ch3vr0n PC Specs
    Ch3vr0n PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Formula
    ProcessorCore i9 9900k @ 4.7GHZ (XMP)
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX4M4B3200C16-ROG
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix GTX 1080 A8G
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorASUS VG278HR & ASUS VK278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB & 970 EVO 2TB
    Storage #23X HGST 10TB, 1x HGST 4TB
    CPU CoolerScythe Mugen 5 PCGH
    CaseCooler Master Cosmos II
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i
    Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro RGB
    Headset Corsair Voide Wireless SE
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-906
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterNetgear XR500
    Accessory #1 Xbox One Elite Wireless Controller
    Accessory #2 2X Corsair LL140, 4x Corsair LL120
    Accessory #3 1x Corsair LED RGB Pro expansion kit

Happens every time on every board when AC power is removed. Leave the power up and it wont. This behavior is 100% reproduceable because its 100% the way its supposed to work. Without this initialization process the box of parts and wires would never know its a PC.
    No it isn't, NEVER happened with my M8F when power was unplugged. EVER.

New ROGer Array Xpoint PC Specs
    Xpoint PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XI Hero Wi-Fi
    Processori9-9900K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Trident Z @3200 Mhz (2x8 GB)
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080 Ti Strix OC
    Sound CardSchiit Modi
    MonitorAsus MG 278Q using G-Sync compatibility
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1 TB
    Storage #2WD Black 4 TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X72
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout TG
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G3 750
    Keyboard Fnatic Gear Rush G1 (formerly known as Func KB 470)
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset ModHouse Argon MK3
    Mouse Pad Corsair extended
    Headset/Speakers Swan M300
    OS Win 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterFritz!Box 7362 SL
    Accessory #1 Emotiva BasX A-100 headphone amp

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    This behavior is 100% reproduceable because its 100% the way its supposed to work. Without this initialization process the box of parts and wires would never know its a PC.
    No PC I've ever owned did this. After all, the BIOS could just save these parameters.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

Quote Originally Posted by Xpoint View Post
    No PC I've ever owned did this. After all, the BIOS could just save these parameters.
    OK guys....I will state the compromise.... MANY boards have had this double or triple boot behavior in the past. Some boards have not. I can tell you that my EVGA X58, Asus X79 Deluxe, and ASUS Rampage IV all did a double boot. While my Asus Hero VII and VIII did not. Multiple boot sequences arise from on board bus clock timers, memory timings, and PCIE lane speed buses. Depending on implementation, the board may or may not need a multi boot sequence. These parameters are NOT saved to the BIOS as they are variable transient settings.

In any event, it is no big deal. Most users leave their power on after shutdown, so most folks just don't care. For those that do not like the behavior, maybe you keep the PSU powered after shutdown too. If you don't like that option, then relax and understand it is normal behavior for the Max XI series of boards to do this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2