cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Hero XI] Power cycles after disconnected form power

Xpoint
Level 7
Hello there,

I just finished my new Build about a month ago and since then I have the "issue" that my PC restarts two times after pressing the power button and the PC was disconnected from power since last boot. This isn't really an issue since it just delays the first boot of the day by 10 seconds but I wanted to ask if this could be an indicator that something isn't quite right.

I did not overclock anything except enabling XMP of my RAM. I even disabled MCE.
I just read about someone experiencing power cycles with AURA. I use AURA too. Is this a known issue?

The power cycle always looks exactly like this:

• I press the power button and the PC turns on
  • After exactly 1.5s the PC shuts off.
  • After another 4.5s it turns back on.
  • After another 1.5s it turns off again.
  • After another 4.5s it turns on again and boots successfully.

This behavior is 100% reproducable.

Right before it shuts down it shows code 28 but I can't find it in the manual. Before that it shows 20 which I can't find either.
Am I reading the manual wrong? What does 19-1C mean for example?

My system:

• i9 9900K
  • Hero XI Hero Wi-Fi
  • G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB, DDR4-3200
  • Strix 1080 Ti
  • ASUS MG278Q
  • NZXT Kraken
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 750W ATX

17 REPLIES 17

phatmonkey
Level 9
Yes I can back your claim, I built a Max Hero Xi around a i9 9900k few days ago, latest bios 0702, I do have XMP 1 enabled for my Corsair LPX 64g DDR4 but that makes no difference. During cold boot the motherboard cycles the power twice, it is also worth noting I have disabled the Core Enhancement also.
My previous motherboard Maximus X recycled once during cold boot while XMP was enabled...
I do not think it is a problem, but something does not sit right...

Cheers
Ryan
Windows 11 | Rog Maximus Z690 Hero | i9-14900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz 64GB | MSI 4090 SUPRIM X | Apollo x16 | Quantum 2626 | ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ | H150i RGB Pro XT | AX1200i | Dark Core Pro SE | K100 RGB

There is nothing wrong with your build or your system. This is normal behavior for the Maximus XI line of motherboards.

mdzcpa wrote:
There is nothing wrong with your build or your system. This is normal behavior for the Maximus XI line of motherboards.

Thank you for replying, however after posting I did find quite a few posts on this subject, u would think Asus would have released a statement by now to ease peoples minds 😄
Windows 11 | Rog Maximus Z690 Hero | i9-14900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz 64GB | MSI 4090 SUPRIM X | Apollo x16 | Quantum 2626 | ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ | H150i RGB Pro XT | AX1200i | Dark Core Pro SE | K100 RGB

mdzcpa wrote:

No it's not. There's only 2 cases where a system should do multiple boots

1. New system assembly
2. BIOS update

Anything else shouldn't happen and isn't normal by past and todays standards, for any motherboard type of any manufacturer. Period.

I have a MAXIMUS XI HERO (No-WiFi) and have the same issue. Maybe anyone with bios 0802(BETA) on this motherboard is able to confirm if the triple power-cycle is still present with the new bios ?

Kelutrel wrote:
I have a MAXIMUS XI HERO (No-WiFi) and have the same issue. Maybe anyone with bios 0802(BETA) on this motherboard is able to confirm if the triple power-cycle is still present with the new bios ?

This has been normal behavior both for the z370 / z390 chipsets from cold boot....If memory serves me correct ...it's part of the memory training process.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
This has been normal behavior both for the z370 / z390 chipsets from cold boot....If memory serves me correct ...it's part of the memory training process.

Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think it is because of the memory training as it does the same even with 'fast boot' enabled which should bypass memory training.

Another reason could be that my Z390 Auros master kind of "forgets" some settings when it is plugged out. By forgetting I mean WHEN ERP is enabled all connected USB devices are powered off after shutdown but here is the interesting part, if I enable ERP on that board and turn off PSU and then power on the PSU switch it would start providing power to USB ports and to fix this I would boot into windows and shut down from there and then it would cut down power to USB devices after the shutdown (unless I remove power cord and reconnect it then it would keep providing power to usb devices unless i do a proper shut down again) Maybe Maximus board is doing the something similar? When the power source is removed it forgets "fast boot" is disabled....But to rule this out I checked the ERP thing on this board and it behaves differently, after enabling ERP if I remove power cord and then connect it again it would power up USB devices for a second or two and then disable them (almost like it enforces bios settings as soon as power cord is connected again even when the system is off) so IDK whats causing this but believe me I did some extensive testing on the BIOS my MAXIMUS XI shipped with and it did not do the cold boots. The bios version itself was weird as it is not listed anywhere Luckily I have a photo of it which I just checked the version my motherboard shipped with was 0225

zebyte wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think it is because of the memory training as it does the same even with 'fast boot' enabled which should bypass memory training.

Another reason could be that my Z390 Auros master kind of "forgets" some settings when it is plugged out. By forgetting I mean WHEN ERP is enabled all connected USB devices are powered off after shutdown but here is the interesting part, if I enable ERP on that board and turn off PSU and then power on the PSU switch it would start providing power to USB ports and to fix this I would boot into windows and shut down from there and then it would cut down power to USB devices after the shutdown (unless I remove power cord and reconnect it then it would keep providing power to usb devices unless i do a proper shut down again) Maybe Maximus board is doing the something similar? When the power source is removed it forgets "fast boot" is disabled....But to rule this out I checked the ERP thing on this board and it behaves differently, after enabling ERP if I remove power cord and then connect it again it would power up USB devices for a second or two and then disable them (almost like it enforces bios settings as soon as power cord is connected again even when the system is off) so IDK whats causing this but believe me I did some extensive testing on the BIOS my MAXIMUS XI shipped with and it did not do the cold boots. The bios version itself was weird as it is not listed anywhere Luckily I have a photo of it which I just checked the version my motherboard shipped with was 0225

Here is the thread in which SilentScone@Asus provided info:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106360-System-takes-3-times-to-start-up-from-a-cold-boot-X...
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
Here is the thread in which SilentScone@Asus provided info:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106360-System-takes-3-times-to-start-up-from-a-cold-boot-X...

I have been through all these threads and read the explanations but why did it not do the cold boots on the bios version that shipped with my board.