cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Profile PCIe riser extender - or angled

davemon50
Level 11
I am wondering if a very "low profile" PCIe 3.0x16 extender flexible cable exists. I cannot find one. I see flexible ones, and I see angled ones, but they all seem to be at least 3/4" tall from the motherboard socket.

I have a PCIe 3.0 card with an extra M.2 Samsung 250G NVME PCIe drive on it, and wanted to put it in my rig, but with two dbl-slot GPU's (Crossfire) they block the correct slots to use. Actually the bottom of the cards are almost exactly at the female connections of the next & correct slot (so a mm or two greater than the slot height). I think I could use a flexible cable extender to sneak behind one of the cards and move the M.2 card in the rig, but the GPU's fit down so close to the motherboard that I think I need a very low profile extender cable to sneak behind it. Thus the question.

Alternately I found one that sits in the slot and has an immediate right angle connection, which would be great except it's not very low profile, I think it measures almost an inch.

Davemon50
12 REPLIES 12

davemon50
Level 11
For anyone interested in this, I bought THIS CABLE and THIS LONGER CABLE, either of which should be just fine.

However, I couldn't get them to seat properly because they simply wouldn't go in straight enough and seat firmly with the width of the GPU's. More information in THIS THREAD.

I am highly pleased with the quality of these cables though. The packaging was nice for the longer cable, in a labeled EZDIY manufacturer box, but the short one was sent in the same package loosely thrown in and came in a taped plastic sleeve with no real identification. Which is odd because they are both the same type by the same MFG, just different lengths.
Davemon50

LDFiberman1
Level 7
davemon50 wrote:
I am wondering if a very "low profile" PCIe 3.0x16 extender flexible cable exists. I cannot find one. I see flexible ones, and I see angled ones, but they all seem to be at least 3/4" tall from the motherboard socket.

I have a PCIe 3.0 card with an extra M.2 Samsung 250G NVME PCIe drive on it, and wanted to put it in my rig, but with two dbl-slot GPU's (Crossfire) they block the correct slots to use. Actually the bottom of the cards are almost exactly at the female connections of the next & correct slot (so a mm or two greater than the slot height). I think I could use a flexible cable extender to sneak behind one of the cards and move the M.2 card in the rig, but the GPU's fit down so close to the motherboard that I think I need a very low profile extender cable to sneak behind it. Thus the question.

Alternately I found one that sits in the slot and has an immediate right angle connection, which would be great except it's not very low profile, I think it measures almost an inch.

Hey Davemon50

I believe what your looking for are: PCI-E 16x Male to Female Riser Extension Card Adapter for 1U 2U 3U IPC Chassis from -- "Newegg" or PCI-E 164-Pin 164pin Slot PCI-Express 16x Male to Female Extension Protector Upward Riser Card from -- "Amazon"

I have a set of two like these for my GTX 1080Ti video cards. They work perfect. the only thing I needed to do was buy some 6x32 stand off to make up the height, between the case mount and the video cards. But worked perfect. Make sure when you do the standoffs extensions, you do both posts. That would be a total of four, "two for each video card, if you need to do two??.

I needed it so I could install a ribbon cable underneath one of the GTX 1080Ti cards for a TV card.....

Hope this helps, and/or is what your looking for.:cool:

P.S. I can send pictures if need....

davemon50
Level 11
Where did you find the standoffs though? I saw the rigid riser extenders for the GPUs, but there's no extended brackets to screw the cards down to the slots. That's the reason I tried the cable for the extra card. The only thing I could find was mounting brackets for turning the cards 90 degrees. Do you have a link by chance?
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Where did you find the standoffs though? I saw the rigid riser extenders for the GPUs, but there's no extended brackets to screw the cards down to the slots. That's the reason I tried the cable for the extra card. The only thing I could find was mounting brackets for turning the cards 90 degrees. Do you have a link by chance?

Davemon50

I could not find any with locked down to the motherboard side. But I have had no issue with them coming undone. Just need to get those 6x32 or 4mm stand off's, ones like you use for your motherboard. Screw them into your computer slots so you can attach your video card mount to computer case. I have my video cards mounted horizontally like this with no issue.

You should be able to find the lock mounted ones on the adapter for the video card only. i.e. PCI-E 16x Male to Female Riser Extension Card Adapter for 1U 2U 3U IPC Chassis from "e-bay" in china, that's where I originally bought them. But I have not found ones that locks to motherboard PCIe 16x side. "but like I said , I've had no issue at all coming disconnected.

Hope this helps......:D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Davemon50"

I Think I just found some with a locking mount on them; "PCIe 164 Pin 16x Male to Female Riser Extended Card Adapter PCI-e Express Test DIP slot With Fixing plate for 1U 2U 3U STD" from "AliExpress"

Heck I may order some for me, aswell to sell........:cool:

davemon50 wrote:

Just ordered 5 of them from AliExpress, see if their any good.......:p

JustinThyme
Level 13
You think you have it bad.........Look at the enormous heatsinks on these monsters!! Cant fit a greased BB in there!! Had to move my OS to DIMM.2 960 pro and yank my optane drives. Dont mind the ugly PTFE tubing. Its a temp bypass for the GPU blocks, pulled my 1080Tis with EK blocks and took some time to find blocks for the Strix 2080Ti O11G cards. They will be in tomorrow and Ill be back to having my other 2 slots. The call these 2.7 slot sinks........Why not just tell it like it is, they take up 3 slots!! In case anyone was wondering......Dont try this long term on air unless you have a case that blows air in between the cards. The top card is starving for air and runs 10C hotter than the bottom card. A nice long Timspy stress test with the case door open and the back plate was too hot to touch. Im dogging the crap out of them on air before i pull the heatsinks and put water blocks on and can go back to normal like second pic.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
....The call these 2.7 slot sinks........Why not just tell it like it is, they take up 3 slots!! In case anyone was wondering......Dont try this long term on air unless you have a case that blows air in between the cards. The top card is starving for air and runs 10C hotter than the bottom card. A nice long Timspy stress test with the case door open and the back plate was too hot to touch....

Yep, this seems to be a common problem these days and it'd be really nice if manufacturers of motherboards/cases caught up with and addressed component configuration problems integrally with their designs. Why should all these third party aftermarket products be needed just because you can't use ANY of the other slots on the board after installing 2 GPU's, or at least reasonably and easily use them. Isn't that why you buy an EATX FF and a big honkin' case? Like you say, if I install something in between the two cards, heat still rises in the year 2019, and blocking the air path between the cards due to space constraints just causes other performance issues. Seems stupid to me given how many years we've had "2-slot" or more GPU's (read 2-slot as 2.+ slot, because IT AINT two).

How about case manufacturers sell high quality riser standoffs and extended or telescoping card brackets as options with their cases? Or even simply just longer bracket screws for a standard sized riser standoff that they offer? So easy to do. Or motherboard slot spacing standards adjust to account for the product market? I do understand the design and manufacturing cycle is long however so this may be a challenge. The problem is mostly with GPU's and nowadays high end boards that are used for this don't need specific spacing for SLI/XFire brackets because it's handled internally to the boards.

The problem that exists here in this thread should not exist in 2019 IMO.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Yep, this seems to be a common problem these days and it'd be really nice if manufacturers of motherboards/cases caught up with and addressed component configuration problems integrally with their designs. Why should all these third party aftermarket products be needed just because you can't use ANY of the other slots on the board after installing 2 GPU's, or at least reasonably and easily use them. Isn't that why you buy an EATX FF and a big honkin' case? Like you say, if I install something in between the two cards, heat still rises in the year 2019, and blocking the air path between the cards due to space constraints just causes other performance issues. Seems stupid to me given how many years we've had "2-slot" or more GPU's (read 2-slot as 2.+ slot, because IT AINT two).

How about case manufacturers sell high quality riser standoffs and extended or telescoping card brackets as options with their cases? Or even simply just longer bracket screws for a standard sized riser standoff that they offer? So easy to do. Or motherboard slot spacing standards adjust to account for the product market? I do understand the design and manufacturing cycle is long however so this may be a challenge. The problem is mostly with GPU's and nowadays high end boards that are used for this don't need specific spacing for SLI/XFire brackets because it's handled internally to the boards.

The problem that exists here in this thread should not exist in 2019 IMO.

My sentiment exactly, they keep making products and design for these computers but no space or accommodation.

Justin Thyme: That is an awesome computer....:cool:

JustinThyme
Level 13
I’m right there with you. I wanted to go vertical with my GPUs in an Enthoo elite but that takes up 6 slots and blocks everything I was gonna do it and have the other devices as you are doing here but the one thing that put a damper on it is no access at all to the bottom of the board. Want to change BIOS? Tough! Maybe once I’m satisfied everything is golden and I’ll never need access to the bottom half of the MOBO but about then is when I’ll get the itch for a new build. I don’t think I’ll be changing cases anytime soon through. Keeping it for a very *long time was the only justification I could muster to dump $1K delivered on a case. It is an awesome case though, was a toss up between the Enthoo Elite Black (don’t care for gunmetal) or an Obsidian 1000D for half the cost. The lack of installation configurations for rads and pumps on the latter is why it lost out. Have two 480s and a 360. Could move the 360 to another spot and add a 280 and 560 if I wanted. I’ll see how the loop reacts when I add the two 2080Ti cards to it. It doesn’t budge at all with just 9940X stress testing.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein