cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8700k temp issues

Somethingwhatev
Level 7
My 8700k came out of the box at 4.4ghz all cores synced @ 1.25v. I'm using a thermaltake 240mm liquid aio and i'm getting maximum 85c on some cores using Hwinfo64 while gaming. Isn't this a little high for such a low clock speed? It's still winter, but I live in AZ and during the summer i've seen up to 89c on one core which scares me. Any help would be appreciated, and I thank you in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

Somethingwhatev
Level 7
Wow.

panzlock
Level 12
What are your temps at idle?

Ambient room temperature?

Chassis fan layout? You have good air flow?

Did you ensure the cooler is mounted properly?

Thermal paste applied appropriately? Not too much, not too little?

AIO pump functioning? What are the readouts on your monitoring software? (Fan RPM)

Are you taking any drugs?

Does your wife know where you go at night?
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

36-41c at Idle

Ambient temp is about 20c

I have one fan in the back blowing out 2 fans in the front sucking in.

I took no part in building this computer, it was custom built through ibuypower, but the cooler is mounted properly. I can't speak to the thermal paste they applied or how much/little.

AIO pump seems to be working fine. There is no "monitoring software" for thermaltake. You can only control the fans and it shows you the temp of the cpu. Fan's are maxed out at ~1600rpm. The pump is 3000rpm according to the specs. The radiator is top mounted though so the pump has to fight gravity.

Yes i'm very stoned.

Marriage is a contract you should never sign.

Somethingwhatever wrote:
36-41c at Idle

Ambient temp is about 20c

I have one fan in the back blowing out 2 fans in the front sucking in.

I took no part in building this computer, it was custom built through ibuypower, but the cooler is mounted properly. I can't speak to the thermal paste they applied or how much/little.

AIO pump seems to be working fine. There is no "monitoring software" for thermaltake. You can only control the fans and it shows you the temp of the cpu. Fan's are maxed out at ~1600rpm. The pump is 3000rpm according to the specs. The radiator is top mounted though so the pump has to fight gravity.

Yes i'm very stoned.

Marriage is a contract you should never sign.

Not too bad, but high under water.

Ambient is tip top.

Is there any obstruction to the airflow? Just make sure warm/hot air is not being trapped inside the case. Matter of fact, remove a side panel and monitor the temps for a day.

I'd check to see if there is thermal paste to begin with.

Pump maxes out at 1600RPM under load, that's fine.

Good man!

.........Good man!

So far it seems to be the issue is with heat removal. My fans are all pointing in the right direction but they're not pushing enough heat out. My side panel is tempered glass, and with it off I see a 10c reduction in maximum temps. They hover at 70 - 76c. This is at 4.4ghz all cores though. I know people with 4.8 - 5 who see the same temps so i'm guessing the thermal paste is just the stock stuff they put on the aio heatsink.

panzlock
Level 12
10C drop is good. Try a better thermal paste, as well, mind you it's Thermaltake so I imagine the compound they use is quality. It won't hurt to reapply a better paste, though.

And make sure your fans don't create turbulence inside the case. Something like this:

is what you typically want.

Yea that's exactly the setup minus the air cooled cpu. Alright next is paste 😄

panzlock
Level 12
I forgot to mention. Check the temps on your other components (whatever has a sensor) including your MB, PCH, VRM and even video card. There could be clues there, too.