cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No HDMI signal through GPU plugged into Z390-E

MikelSita
Level 7
So for Christmas I bought a bunch of new hardware to upgrade my gaming PC, which included the Z390-E motherboard. The computer is running great except for one small headache... If I turn the computer off and then on again, I'm not guaranteed to get a signal from the HDMI ports on neither my motherboard nor my GPU, which is a GTX 970.

I primarily use the GPUs HDMI for my output. I've checked all sorts of possible problems: Verified that the HDMIs on the TV (my display) worked, verified that the HDMI cables themselves work, and I don't believe the GPU has any problems because once I have an image on screen its perfectly fine. Which has led me to believe that it is an issue with the motherboard. Perhaps it doesn't always know to send the signal through the GPU?

I haven't updated the BIOS version (currently 0224) since I got the motherboard, could that be part of it?

Current Hardware:
Motherboard: Z390-E
CPU: i7-9700k
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 32gb DDR4
Power Supply: 750W
10 REPLIES 10

panzlock
Level 12
MikelSita wrote:

I haven't updated the BIOS version (currently 0224) since I got the motherboard, could that be part of it?

Yeah, and outdated drivers, too.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
Yeah, and outdated drivers, too.

Ok, so I definitely need to update the BIOS version then, do I? I was planning on updating the version through the Windows Environment using the DVD that came with the board. That seem like a safe way to go?

Drivers for the GPU or the Motherboard? Because the GPU had the most up to date drivers until the new one was released yesterday, which I haven't had the chance to install yet.

panzlock
Level 12
You might want to update BIOS to 0602 anyway, since it has the microcode update.

I suppose you can start there and determine if this is software or hardware related.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

So I've updated the BIOs, but the issue remains. I'm still not getting a reliable signal through the HDMI.

davemon50
Level 11
Connect it to a monitor and not a TV, and use DisplayPort connections, or if your TV has DP connections (unlikely) you can try that. The problem will likely go away.
Davemon50

I do tend to have a little more luck when I plug in a monitor using the DV ports, but that isn't a permanent solution. Before I swapped motherboards I never had this problem.

davemon50
Level 11
I believe it may be the HDMI connection, the reason for the DP suggestion. However, have you disabled onboard graphics in the BIOS? The selection can be changed in the BIOS to make PCIE your primary display (do not use AUTO when you know), and to disable the iGPU. You should do both and see if it makes the difference.
Davemon50

I have not tried disabling the onboard graphics. I did try to make PCIE my primary display earlier, but that was before I updated the BIOs and at the time it did not seem to make a difference. I'll try again and see if maybe having the up-to-date BIOS makes a difference.

So how do I make PCIE my primary display? I'm looking at the BIOS and I can't seem to find the option.

Nevermind, I found the display options, but after setting it to PCIE the problem persists. I made the change, saved and reset the computer, and then did a proper shut down. I then plugged the HDMI back into the GPU and turned the computer back on, no signal.

So I shut down the computer and then turned it back on with both the HDMI and DV cables plugged in. I got no image on either. Then I unplugged the HDMI and soon after the image appeared on the DV monitor. Then, when I plugged in the HDMI, the image transferred to the TV and the monitor lost signal.