Hi Guys,

Here is my build:
ROG Strix Z390-H
i9-9900K
Corsair H100i liquid cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200
ASUS ROG Strix OC Nvidia RTX 2080
Samsung 970 EVO 2TB

I built the system last weekend and flashed the latest BIOS (1202) on the board. When I use the AI overclocking feature in
the BIOS (choose gaming and liquid cooling), the BIOS overclocks the CPU and memory to about 20%, and I save the settings
and reboot.

Unfortunately, when i use the system (play fornite at high settings). I will get the occasional BSOD with the message (clock watchdog timeout).
This error seems to indicate some system instability.
I know the motherboard includes a jumper (CPU overvoltage jumper) to raise the CPU voltage. Should I enable this jumper setting? Is it possible
the CPU doesn't have enough voltage to operate with this overclocking setting?
I also read up on the fact that these boards have a somewhat basic VRM 4 phase (split 8phase) power stage, although I don't know if that's relevant.

Anyways, if anyone has experience with this setup and has had these issues or knows what to do, I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Steve
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
stevehifi2003 wrote:
message (clock watchdog timeout).

This is a typical error message for insufficient vcore

Seems like the auto tune is not stable.

You are best off OCing yourself in the BIOS

The VRM phase count is not relevant.

So i ended up changing the bus speed to 100MHz and multiplier to 52. Now CPU is OC'd to 5.2GHz and seems to be stable.

The AI utility apparently chose some strange setting of 103MHz bus speed with multiplier of 52, translating to a 5.356 GHz
CPU clock. I guess this was pushing the limits of the cpu and caused it to be unstable.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
This is a typical error message for insufficient vcore

Do you happen to know of a list that explains what common blue screen error messages mean in the context of overclocking specifically?

Just googling blue screen error codes is completely unhelpful. You just get a bunch of sites with general advice about computers that have nothing at all to do with overclocking crashes in particular.

stevehifi2003 wrote:
Now CPU is OC'd to 5.2GHz and seems to be stable.

OK good stuff!

gx240 wrote:
Do you happen to know of a list that explains what common blue screen error messages mean in the context of overclocking specifically?

I don't know of a good resource for that...you have to catch the message and find what "number" it is and have a look on some of the older number lists...the most common ones translate well still

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87856-Common-BSOD-Error-Codes-for-Overclocking-Skylake#pos...

oG_kill3r
Level 7
What are your settings for 5.2Ghz ?