cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuttering/Buzzing sound coming from my laptop

Franck1997
Level 7
Hello. Recently, I bought a GL704GM from Newegg. It works very well and I had no problem with it, but for some reasons, I can hear a strange stuttering sound coming from the upper middle of the keyboard, where there's the speaker. The sound comes from the computer itself and it goes on constantly. Plugging out the battery makes the sound less audible and I can barely hear it when I play videogames, mainly because of the fans. I contacted Asus and they asked me to make a hard reset and a BIOS reset, but none of that works. The only options left for me are to either replace it or send it for repairs, since its still under warranty. I just want to know, before that, if the sound in question is a normal thing for these computers and if it can damage it later on. I was able to record the sound in question for reference.
13 REPLIES 13

dan_himura
Level 7
Hi!
I got the same problem with my GL504GM SCAR II, plus other stuff:
- left fan began making a loud mechanical sound even at low rpm, out of nowhere;
- when the laptop is pluged-in I get magnetic feedback on the screen case;
- cannot run Game First V...nothing shows up, no error, no program;
- on the asus webpage for SCAR II there are not drivers listed, in case I wanted to try to re-install staff;
- cannot upgrade BIOS via WinFlash;
- sometime when I finish to play a game and reboot it, the sound just disappears, even watching youtube video on Chrome, and via "souns settings" everything is fine;

I dont' know guys, but I have spent quite an amount of money for this pc because I could not take my desktop away with me.
And it has only one month life span! And to add the cherry on the pie, I cannot find any way to extend the warranty, and Asus Customer Care, at least the italian one, is not giving any solution.
I hope that at least the international custom care can give us some answers. These are pretty recent machines.

PS: is it best to uninstall all the ROG crap, like Sonic Radar and Sonic Studio?

dan_himura wrote:
Hi!

PS: is it best to uninstall all the ROG crap, like Sonic Radar and Sonic Studio?

I would try this followed by a windows reset if that doesnt work. The windows reset worked for me in the past with my gl504gm.

dan_himura wrote:
Hi!
I got the same problem with my GL504GM SCAR II, plus other stuff:
- left fan began making a loud mechanical sound even at low rpm, out of nowhere;
- when the laptop is pluged-in I get magnetic feedback on the screen case;
- cannot run Game First V...nothing shows up, no error, no program;
- on the asus webpage for SCAR II there are not drivers listed, in case I wanted to try to re-install staff;
- cannot upgrade BIOS via WinFlash;
- sometime when I finish to play a game and reboot it, the sound just disappears, even watching youtube video on Chrome, and via "souns settings" everything is fine;

I dont' know guys, but I have spent quite an amount of money for this pc because I could not take my desktop away with me.
And it has only one month life span! And to add the cherry on the pie, I cannot find any way to extend the warranty, and Asus Customer Care, at least the italian one, is not giving any solution.
I hope that at least the international custom care can give us some answers. These are pretty recent machines.

have u tried updating your bios to 307 manually winflash doesnt really work on my unit also and same with the sound issue but sound issue is no biggy for me though but on the part were your fan makes mechanical noise i suggest bringing it to your nearest asus center for inspections maybe one blade of the fans is loose

The only problem I have is the strange noise, I don’t have a single issue with anything else, which is a bit peculiar. I might just replace the computer, since I bought it on Newegg.

Guys, it's the i7-8750h that causes the noise, check this post:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ge4#post749830

TopOkay wrote:
Guys, it's the i7-8750h that causes the noise, check this post:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ge4#post749830

I think I might try that fix you made, I'll post here to see if the result is at the very least tolerable.

Alright, playing with the power plans definitely helped. The sound is now barely noticeable. Thanks for the help!

Also, while I'm at it, there is something else that was bothering me. Ever since I received the laptop, I would hear, from time to time, a quick single beep from the bottom right of my keyboard. It happens completely randomly and doesn't seem to affect my laptopt at all. Is this something that should concern me?

Franck1997 wrote:
Alright, playing with the power plans definitely helped. The sound is now barely noticeable. Thanks for the help!

Also, while I'm at it, there is something else that was bothering me. Ever since I received the laptop, I would hear, from time to time, a quick single beep from the bottom right of my keyboard. It happens completely randomly and doesn't seem to affect my laptopt at all. Is this something that should concern me?

Probably the hard drive shutting down. Nothing to worry about.

Franck1997 wrote:

You are welcome 😉

What do you mean with "beep"? If it's a "click" is probably what FULLMETALJACKET7 said, I think.