cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix B450 QUESTION

Retired
Not applicable

I already have a AM4 motherboard which i am pleased with, but the ATX format is not my cup of tea anymore, and i also wanted a motherboard with better sound and intel NIC
I looked at the mini itx as an option and found two candidates (Asus and Gigabyte)
But i really didn't want to go with the Gigabyte board because of my prior experiences with that brand, so Asus x470 or Asus B450 itx
The differences is mainly on the chipset side, which isn't a great deal
The x470 have a backlit ROG logo on the M.2 heatsink, which the B450 counterpart lack. the B450 have the socket for the led pins, but the heatsink come without connectable pins
So other than the chipset and minor cosmetic differences i went for the B450

The difference between unboxing a ROG board and lets say Asrock, is the difference between a warm shower and suicide thoughts
Everything worked great out of the box, easy installation, and hey stickers!!

I updated the bios to latest ver 1201 which turned out to be a fail for me (even xmp failed), it would not play well with my memory kit at all, so i downgraded to ver 1103
When i tried to boot up 3866mhz the system locked up bad, and it was unable to post, i tried the clr cmos (clr rtc) but nothing happened
I then removed the cooler and pulled the battery, remounted CPU, did clr rtc and inserted only one ram stick = post
I have my own idea of why the board locked up so hard, but its not scientifically proven so i keep that thought to myself
I then downgraded bios one step more to 1003 and that's where i am today

Setting up default ram speed was easy @3466mhz first boot OK, this kit is rated XMP 3000mhz but has no problem running stable in the neighborhood of 3400mhz, and this motherboard made this point perfectly clear
But i ended up using command rate 2 instead of 1 = slightly lower performance, but gain in stability and voltage

I have gamed, done some casual benchmarking, mandatory tinkering and this board perform good and stable without hiccups

There is some tricks here and there tho, to lower idle cpu fans speed for example (write in the thread if your AMD cooler is noisy idle @1000rpm))

Overall i think its nice motherboard, intel NIC, 1220 sound, great working ROG bios, and design

I could go on writing all day in here about this motherboard, but i rather stop here instead to avoid incomprehensive subhuman slur

PS: A proper clr cmos button should be standard on every mainstream/premium ASUS motherboard in 2019 -1 BAMBI

4 BAMBI our of 5

System spec:

Rog Strix B450-I Gaming / bios version 1003
Ryzen 2400G / 4000mhz OC / Wraith Spire
Sapphire Radeon RX 570 / 4 GB / stock clocks OC bios 1340/1750mhz
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 3000mhz / 2X4 GB / 3466mhz OC
EVGA Supernova G2 650W
Kingston 2,5' 120 GB SSD
Seagate 1000 GB HDD
System idle temperatures +/-: CPU 32c, Motherboard 33c, PCH 43c
SMT and CPU spread spectrum enabled during these tests

Benchmarks:

AIDA MEMORY BENCHMARK @3466mhz (CR2)

AIDA MEMORY BENCHMARK @3600mhz (CR2)

CINEBENCH R15

PC MARK 10
https://www.3dmark.com/pcm10/32781277

SUPERPOSITION
12 REPLIES 12

xeromist
It looks like your power supply cables are emerging from a portal to the netherworld. Does that help with overclocking?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Rockford wrote:
I bought Asus again B450
Arne you are my mentor, do i need to write something about this?

LOL

You sure do!

😄

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nice!

Clear CMOS, dual BIOS and BIOS flashback should be standard throughout the universe

xeromist
Rockford wrote:
Done..:cool:

Maybe a MOD could change the title of this thread, its slightly misleading to say the least ))

Its B450 not X470

Maybe...
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm interesting...not sure if it's number or quality...maybe both 😮

xeromist
Rockford wrote:
Does the numbers of phases make any difference to voltage and overclocking?

Theoretically, yes. Not all phases are created equal though so some manufacturer claims should be taken with a grain of salt. Traditional phases are completely isolated components that are out of phase. There are also some boards that have 2x discrete components but are effectively in phase, called doubling. Aaaand then there's lies and marketing. Gigabyte's B450 board removed FETs compared to a typical doubled setup but still marketed it as 8-phase. It's more of a beefed up 4-phase board, IMO.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3345-hw-news-fake-vrm-phases-next-gen-ryzen-core-count

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Rockford wrote:
PS: I am a large man with much hair in my nose

Wear a Mankini and no one will notice the nose hair...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I had a rummage round my local army surplus for something retro...

lDevilDriverl
Level 7
Rockford wrote:
bios ver 1003 and memory overclocking
the speed can be raised from 2400mhz->3466mhz = OK
(generally no issues with board locking up)

bios ver 1103
The system have very easy to lock up beyond any sense with even moderate memory overclocking (clear cmos wont wake the board)

bios ver 1201
memory speed needs to be increased in stages 2400mhz-2800mhz-3200mhz-> target 3466mhz = OK
(2400mhz->3466mhz = fail)
This version is better than 1103, but can still hang the system really bad

just some observations

b450-i pretty good with b-die ram overcklocking;)
https://valid.x86.fr/eak6ql - stable
https://valid.x86.fr/46bpky - for hwbot