cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus ix hero degraded ssd performance

mwr1203
Level 8
All my SSD's (4) write performance has significantly degraded some of which are not that old. At BIOS 1301. Windows 10 x64 1809. No OC. All drivers up to date from ASUS. Anyone else have this issue?
6 REPLIES 6

mwr1203
Level 8
All Samsung 850 PRO SSD's

xeromist
In theory SSDs can slow down as they fill up. How much free space do they have?

How much degradation are we talking about?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

mwr1203
Level 8
I would say about 35% according to some benchmarks I have run. The system disk is using maybe 30% of it's capacity and is not that old. The newest is a 1 TB 850 Pro and has all my games on it which makes about 75% full. I have the same system drive on a PC build at work and the writes are up to par with specs and is just as old. Just thought it might be something in the BIOS that may have changed I flashed back from 1301 to I believe 1203 and that made no difference. I will post screen captures of ATTO when I can, but I can tell you the system disk writes are far from spec.

xeromist
Haven't heard anything like that changing for z270 owners.

Are you sure the ASUS drivers are still being used? Windows has a tendency to update drivers behind your back. It's possible Windows has something it considers to be newer and is using that preferentially over the ones you installed.

Another thing I might try is temporarily disconnecting the data drives and bench the sys drive again. That way there is nothing else on the controller.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

mwr1203
Level 8
I read somewhere you should disable windows update from installing drivers. I never did that on this install originally and it seems to be a pain to do afterwards. I have decided to upgrade anyway to a Z390 setup. I am going to try some new Crucial SSD's this time, but I still think it's something with the chipset drivers. I have to make sure I disable windows driver installation when I first install. Then I can hopefully get the drivers installed from ASUS. Unfortunately Microsoft has chosen to allow Windows 10 to think it has the ultimate driver database which it doesn't. Thanks for your help.

xeromist
I've had several Windows 10 machines automatically updating device drivers and most have been fine. On one of my machines Windows installed a bad version of Intel ME that tanked my wireless speeds and caused occasional system crashes. Once I disabled driver updates and replaced that with a different version it was fine. So I would only make that change if you are having problems. Otherwise it's a good idea to have the latest versions in case there are security vulnerabilities and the like.