cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU speed is changing to defualt settings after bootup

tkemp66
Level 7
I recently installed my Maximus Rog X Code into a new case with a new AIO liquid cooler (NZXT X72). Once completed, I clocked my i7 8700K to a stable 5.1GHZ @1.34 volts, just like its been the past year. My cpu boots and idles between 21c and 26c and on full load maxed at 60c. Yes its delided and has been so since Jan of last year . The problem I am having is that everytime I reboot my PC, it defaults back to 3.7ghz, this according to Dual Intelligent processor, core temp, CAM software and CPUID. Dual Intelligent Processor 5 seems to think that it is running at 5.1ghz but whenever I run a stress test on the CPU, it will not surpass 3.7ghz. If I reboot my PC into bios, it shows that its running at 5.1ghz, and when I saved the settings in the bios as is, then it boots back to the overclock settings at 5.1ghz and runs well. Its not until I start the computer to windows normally from a shut down that it defualts back to 3.7ghz. I'm not sure why this is happening but its bugging me. Can anyone help with this please?

Troy
5 REPLIES 5

tkemp66
Level 7
Looks like I got it resolved just by clearing CMOS.

Crap! It happened again :mad:

tkemp66
Level 7
Well its working again, and it was most likely my fault. I did not saved the settings in the bios so that it boots from the saved settings.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Check your windows version and microcode updates. If you are on 1809 and all updates you should be good. There’s one point on 1803 after a microcode update that no matter what you set the OS over rides it.*

Point two, are you using the BIOS or AI junk to OC?**It’s OK to look at things but too buggy to make BIOS writes with. Just make notes of your settings and go into the BIOS and apply your OC there. Software OC, regardless of which, is not a reliable option. I actually had AI junk brick a M8E board. Had to buy two replacement ROMS and flash them outside of the machine to get it going again.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

tkemp66
Level 7
Yup, set on 1809 and have all updates. Didn;t use the AI suite software to clock, just to monitor. Went straight to BIOS and did my clock from there. So far, I have had a few successful startups with out a hiccup.