cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus XI Apex - M.2 / DIMM.2 Questions

crossbone
Level 7
Hi there,

so two days ago I received my M11A Board. Before I was using the M11H so it was just a swap.

I am using one M.2 NVME SSD (Samsung 970 Pro) and the only way to use one on the M11A seems to be through the DIMM.2 Module.

My question is - is the DIMM.2 Module on the M11A wired to the CPU or to the PCH? Because if it is wired to the CPU wouldn't it decrease the available PCI-E Lanes to the GPU as there are only 16 available - making the GPU just run @ PCI-E 8x?
The manual does explicitly say so, though hwinfo and gpu-z report my GPU using PCI-E 16x.
I am thoroughly confused.

Is there a wire diagram for the M11A like there was for other ROG Boards in the past?

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Special-Kthx
Level 7
Sorry I cant help but, where did you buy thr board. Im looking for this board since 2 month. refreshing google last 24h pages and I cant find it.

Special-Kthx wrote:
Sorry I cant help but, where did you buy thr board. Im looking for this board since 2 month. refreshing google last 24h pages and I cant find it.

tu trouve case king alemagne j ai recu la mienne

jelome1989
Level 7
Interesting. Looking at the Specs page of Apex it says the DIMM.2 module uses "PCH_DIMM.2" so maybe it uses the chipset lanes not CPU lanes? That's different compared to the Gene and Extreme where it says "CPU_DIMM.2." Hence, GPU-Z still displaying x16 for your GPU.

And yeah, care to share where you bought the board? 🙂

jelome1989 wrote:
Interesting. Looking at the Specs page of Apex it says the DIMM.2 module uses "PCH_DIMM.2" so maybe it uses the chipset lanes not CPU lanes? That's different compared to the Gene and Extreme where it says "CPU_DIMM.2." Hence, GPU-Z still displaying x16 for your GPU.

Yeah that's really confusing. Especially because the manual does mention the opposite...

crossbone
Level 7
Bought the board at the german etailer mindfactory for around 360€

jelome1989
Level 7
Damn, lucky you guys. Hope it gets available in Newegg/Amazon before the month ends.
Looking at specs page of Apex

Intel® Z390 Chipset :
1 x ROG DIMM.2 Module support(PCH_DIMM.2), with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x ROG DIMM.2 Module support(PCH_DIMM.2), with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

It's clear that it uses the chipset lanes and GPUZ confirms it so the manual is probably wrong then.

jelome1989 wrote:
Damn, lucky you guys. Hope it gets available in Newegg/Amazon before the month ends.
Looking at specs page of Apex

Intel® Z390 Chipset :
1 x ROG DIMM.2 Module support(PCH_DIMM.2), with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x ROG DIMM.2 Module support(PCH_DIMM.2), with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

It's clear that it uses the chipset lanes and GPUZ confirms it so the manual is probably wrong then.

Yeah, the manual does seem to be very "generic" on several topics, guess ASUS does need some "Manual QA" 😉

By the way, great Board. First Board where I could just load up the XMP Profile of my DDR4-4400 RAM and call it a day - impressive so far. Further tweaking in the upcoming days.

hi,

just want to confirm: if I want to use m.2 nvme drive on apex, I cant have 4x dimms installed?

Raja
Level 13
crossbone wrote:
Hi there,

so two days ago I received my M11A Board. Before I was using the M11H so it was just a swap.

I am using one M.2 NVME SSD (Samsung 970 Pro) and the only way to use one on the M11A seems to be through the DIMM.2 Module.

My question is - is the DIMM.2 Module on the M11A wired to the CPU or to the PCH? Because if it is wired to the CPU wouldn't it decrease the available PCI-E Lanes to the GPU as there are only 16 available - making the GPU just run @ PCI-E 8x?
The manual does explicitly say so, though hwinfo and gpu-z report my GPU using PCI-E 16x.
I am thoroughly confused.

Is there a wire diagram for the M11A like there was for other ROG Boards in the past?

Thanks in advance.

The Apex DIMM.2 slot is wired to the PCH, not CPU PCIe.