cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cant I overclock?

cbrockko
Level 7
Im trying to overclock my i7 6850k w/ asus x99-aii mobo and when i change the cores and what not nothing changes.. im trying to get to 4.5 but no matter what i do it still stays at 3.6??
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you updated to latest BIOS?

There was a Windows update that killed all OCs on 6xxx CPUs

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have you updated to latest BIOS?

There was a Windows update that killed all OCs on 6xxx CPUs

ya i have the latest bios update ( updated last month )

i can do the asus ez overclock and that works, but even if i change the cores it still doesnt work...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Maybe that BIOS does not include the latest microcode it is from 04/2018...the shenanigans happened well after that....maybe another BIOS update is needed...I'd contact ASUS support

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Maybe that BIOS does not include the latest microcode it is from 04/2018...the shenanigans happened well after that....maybe another BIOS update is needed...I'd contact ASUS support

maybe im doing something wrong??
ive never oc'd before.. would i need to disable or enable some settinmgs in bios to OC

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The simplest OC you can do is simply set the multiplier and let eh MB set everything else voltage related...just don't make the multiplier too ambitious to start with...

If that doesn't work it's probably a victim of the Broadwell-E spectre "mitigations"

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
The simplest OC you can do is simply set the multiplier and let eh MB set everything else voltage related...just don't make the multiplier too ambitious to start with...

If that doesn't work it's probably a victim of the Broadwell-E spectre "mitigations"

well this sucks... is there anyway to get around this???

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you are on Win 1803...i.e. version before 1809 I think you can uninstall Win update KB4100347

Have a look through this thread for workrounds maybe

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105293-Windows-10-October-2018-Update-(Windows-10-ver-1809...!

tkemp66
Level 7
I had the exact same problem the last two days with my i7 8700k. No matter what clock setting I set it to, it always defaulted back to 3.7ghz. The fix was clearing CMOS. My Asus Maximus X Code has a CMOS button on the back of it. If you have this, then with the computer turned off, hold down the CMOS button for 5 secs then release. Attempt overclock again and see what happens.

cbrockko
Level 7
okay so i was able to bypass the windows update and now can overclock!

I used this video and copied his settings and got to 4.2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h8jWBd0XL4

I am trying to reach 4.5 and not sure what i need to do.. i tried changing the cores from 42 to 45 but my pc crashed while booting.. I am using the same settings in the tutorial and am running prime95 and it has not crashed yet with max temps hitting 53-55c. ( I did not change do anything to my ram tho) as in the video he changed his ram settings, but i left mine alone.

Any ideas on what I need to do so i can reach 45?