Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

BIOS updated by itself...?

Hey all,

Trying to understand if there is any way the bios on my 703GS Scar laptop would update itself without prompt.

I ask because:

I left my house today for 3 hours, leaving the laptop in the lock screen
    I came back to find my bios password prompt, indicating the machine had restarted
    After putting the password in, the machine restarted, and re-asked for the password
    After entering it a second time, I progress bar and bios updating message came up
    After two more bios passwords (self reset in between), windows is back up and running.

I haven't installed the Asus bios flash windows utility on this fresh windows install. Nor did I ever download a bios update for this machine.

I'm like 90% sure my roommate's been messing with my lappy - this kind of confirms it...I was just hoping someone might point out that our laptops just reflash their bios by themselves sometimes so I can stop worrying here.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    k

ROG Member Array

Hey all,

Further to my post, the current BIOS version is now 307
    The support page for my machine GL703GS only lists 305 and 306 for download.
    I downloaded WinFlash which lists 306 (11/14/2018) as the latest version.
    The build date is apparently 10/17/2018 for this 307 version, while the build date for the downloadable 306 version is 11/14/2018
    WinFlash will not update back to 306, claiming it is 'older' despite having a later build date than 307

Does anyone know of any way this is legit, ASUS or Windows behavior?

Please, any insight here is greatly appreciated.

k

ROG Member Array

So I contacted Asus support. They informed me that Windows Update will install BIOS updates. ..crazy right?

Also, they confirmed that the 307 version is theirs, but has not been pushed to the support site yet.

Im a bit surprised Windows Update can start a firmware upgrade like that!

ROG Enthusiast Array thr23 PC Specs
    thr23 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-7820X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4, 4x16GB, 3600MHz (F4-3600C17Q-64GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 PRO 1TB
    Storage #2WD Red 10TB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D9L
    CaseIn-Win 805 Red
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower iRGB PLUS 1250W Titanium

i'm just curious, but can you see the relevant entry in your Windows Update history?

ROG Member Array

Yup, I did end up finding it in the windows update history.

Asus also confirmed that Windows can do this, and that it's normal for UEFI updates to be pushed before they're available on the Asus support page.

Not fully convinced the UEFI wasn't compromised though. Hoping to find some insights on cleanly wiping and reinstalling a known-good asus version.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Please list the update. Ive personally not seen this and such an update would kill my machine and corrupt data. The only machine I know of that does this is Microsoft Surface which stands to reason as there is nothing you an do in their firmware. Other machines that require specific set up cannot just be done by pushing it, it could cause a bricked machine and loss of data.
    List KB number so we can research it.

I just researched it on M$ and the only way its done through updates is CFU which is basically an admin function so if you got it somone did it, not automatic windows updates. Good for corporate IT

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...rmware-update/
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-30-2019 at 03:14 AM.

ROG Member Array

Justin, I really appreciate your insight.

The machine is an GL703GS laptop. After having some accounts hacked and noticing a lot of CPU and network usage at idle, I replaced the M.2 drive with a Samsung evo 970 and a fresh installation of Windows. There were no ASUS Live or other update programs on the machine...in fact after the install, everything ran amazingly without having to download a single driver.

As my OP reads, I came home one night to the computer which had been reset (a common occurrence at this point). It prompted the BIOS password, which I enabled recently. After entering it and it immediately restarting, I entered it again and it "updated" the firmware.

Opening UEFI read:
    Version 307
    86.04.7C.00.24 N098GL703GS.001
    FOCF0901.00B

I do remember looking at the windows update list and seeing something along the lines of "system firmware" with a corresponding timestamp.

Asus said (paraphrasing)
    It is quite likely for Windows automatic updates to prompt a BIOS update if not the Asus live update tool. I also see that BIOS version 307 is not yuet updated on our support site for a manual update. This is actually normal. At a later date, our site will be updated as well.

If anyone knows how to set the lock bit to prevent software from accessing the SPI flash writer, I'd be so thankful.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Please list the update. Ive personally not seen this and such an update would kill my machine and corrupt data. The only machine I know of that does this is Microsoft Surface which stands to reason as there is nothing you an do in their firmware. Other machines that require specific set up cannot just be done by pushing it, it could cause a bricked machine and loss of data.
    List KB number so we can research it.

I just researched it on M$ and the only way its done through updates is CFU which is basically an admin function so if you got it somone did it, not automatic windows updates. Good for corporate IT

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...rmware-update/
    When the machine gets back in a couple days, I'll put the EVO970 back in, load up windows and hopefully get the KB number and screenshots of the update history.
    Last edited by gitkeeper; 01-30-2019 at 09:22 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ThrashZone PC Specs
    ThrashZone PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS x99 sabertooth & x299 Rampage VI Apex
    Processori7-5930k & i9-9940x
    Memory (part number)Trident-Z 3200C14 & Trident-Z 3600C16 both Samsung B-Dies
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1080ti FTW3 water block & Titan Xp copper water block
    MonitorAOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz & ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
    Storage #12-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2 & 2.5" ssd's 850 pro's for os 850 evo for games
    Storage #22-LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
    CPU Coolerx99 2-240GTX with Heatkiller-4-Pro/ vrm water block Both&x299 2-280GTX 2-D5's before and after rads
    Case2- Corsair 450D with second floors for 240GTX & 280GTX rads enclosed and filtered on top
    Power SupplyEVGA 1000P2 & EVGA 1200P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum & Logitech G710+
    Mouse 2-Red dragon Perdition
    OS Win-7 & win-10 pro on both systems Win-7 everyday os
    Accessory #1 Heatkiller IV Pro plexi/ Copper base on both systems
    Accessory #2 Mayhems Biocide and Inhibitor with distilled water
    Accessory #3 Mayhems 3/8-5/8" clear soft tubing

Hi,
    The only report of bios getting flashed by windows was someone that did it manually in device manager on the firmware
    Not exactly the same as windows doing it automatically.

Always interested though in reports since I use older bios on both my systems they work better and cooler.
    x99=2101 really old
    x299=1301

ROG Member Array

https://www.techpowerup.com/248827/a...s-installation

Whoa....so UEFI can install a virus to your windows installation...as it installs?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast