Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain in hibernate on Windows 10

misterti
Level 7
GL730-GE (2018)
Bios 314

When this computer is put to hibernate on windows 10, battery drains 10% per day, while it should not drain at all, well at least the same as if it was shut down. When it is shut down, the battery does not drain. I've tried all possible suggestions from internet, but none of them worked. I opened a ticket on asus support, but i got an unintelligent google translated response to my language from the asus support agent,ivan_t, which had nothing to do with the ticket i reported. I would like this to be solved, how to proceed?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Gps3dx
Level 12
misterti wrote:
GL730-GE (2018)
Bios 314

When this computer is put to hibernate on windows 10, battery drains 10% per day, while it should not drain at all, well at least the same as if it was shut down. When it is shut down, the battery does not drain. I've tried all possible suggestions from internet, but none of them worked. I opened a ticket on asus support, but i got an unintelligent google translated response to my language from the asus support agent,ivan_t, which had nothing to do with the ticket i reported. I would like this to be solved, how to proceed?

Thanks

you might think you hibernate but in fact you sleep-to-ram...
you need to run powercfg diagnostic to understand the cause for the power leak during suspend, and which suspend level your lap uses.
google for "powercfg diagnostic"...
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

thanks for the pointers, i checked the sleep study files as follows:
the sleep-study-report says the computer was put to hibernate, with targetstate/effectivestate 5, for which i haven't found any explanation what it means, battery drain has no info at that time, but i see on the graph on top of the report that the battery has drained 5% in 10 hours. Hiberfil.sys is created and is very large, so i guess ram is written to disk. I suspect that bios is at fault here and doesn't turn off all devices after hibernate is reported from the OS.