Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    ROG Enthusiast Array BlackhatEspeed PC Specs
    BlackhatEspeed PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI APEX
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-9820X
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 3200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080
    Sound CardSupreme FX
    MonitorLG 4K Monitor
    Storage #1VROC RAID 0 - 2 X Intel 760P 512GB
    Storage #2PCH RAID 0 - 2 X Intel 760P 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i V2
    CaseCooler Master Storm Trooper
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM, 1600W Power Supply
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G700S
    Headset Logitech G933
    Mouse Pad Corsair Full Size Mouse Pad
    Headset/Speakers Samsung 5.1 Surround Sound THX System
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk AC3200 Router
    Accessory #1 Steam Controller
    Accessory #2 Thrustmaster Warthog With Combat Rudder Pedals
    Accessory #3 UPEK Bio-metric Login
    BlackhatEspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    So what you are saying is that with a 44 lane X CPU 4 Samsung 970 Pro M.2's wont RAID 0?

  2. #12
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Reputation
    33
    Posts
    1,332

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackhatEspeed View Post
    So what you are saying is that with a 44 lane X CPU 4 Samsung 970 Pro M.2's wont RAID 0?
    Not as a boot drive, no. You can only make a boot drive using VROC.
    You can only use VROC using specific INTEL drives. Samsung won't be recognized by the hardware/software properly to create a boot drive.

    You can create a RAID 0 that is NOT a boot drive however but if you are going to do that, use Windows striping as it is faster than VROC.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

  3. #13
    ROG Enthusiast Array BlackhatEspeed PC Specs
    BlackhatEspeed PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI APEX
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-9820X
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 3200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080
    Sound CardSupreme FX
    MonitorLG 4K Monitor
    Storage #1VROC RAID 0 - 2 X Intel 760P 512GB
    Storage #2PCH RAID 0 - 2 X Intel 760P 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i V2
    CaseCooler Master Storm Trooper
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM, 1600W Power Supply
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G700S
    Headset Logitech G933
    Mouse Pad Corsair Full Size Mouse Pad
    Headset/Speakers Samsung 5.1 Surround Sound THX System
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk AC3200 Router
    Accessory #1 Steam Controller
    Accessory #2 Thrustmaster Warthog With Combat Rudder Pedals
    Accessory #3 UPEK Bio-metric Login
    BlackhatEspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    Not as a boot drive, no. You can only make a boot drive using VROC.
    You can only use VROC using specific INTEL drives. Samsung won't be recognized by the hardware/software properly to create a boot drive.

    You can create a RAID 0 that is NOT a boot drive however but if you are going to do that, use Windows striping as it is faster than VROC.
    Can you recommend an Intel M.2 to use with the riser cards for the Asus Rampage VI APEX?

  4. #14
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Reputation
    33
    Posts
    1,332

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackhatEspeed View Post
    Can you recommend an Intel M.2 to use with the riser cards for the Asus Rampage VI APEX?
    For use of VROC? Intel new ones that are like 300GB, m.2 form factor (not sure of model number) will work but I'm not sure if they will work on the DIMM.2 for VROC. They didn't with the Rampage 6 Extreme and you had to use one of those hyper x16 cards or two Intel 900/905 drives.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

  5. #15
    ROG Enthusiast Array BlackhatEspeed PC Specs
    BlackhatEspeed PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI APEX
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-9820X
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 3200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080
    Sound CardSupreme FX
    MonitorLG 4K Monitor
    Storage #1VROC RAID 0 - 2 X Intel 760P 512GB
    Storage #2PCH RAID 0 - 2 X Intel 760P 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i V2
    CaseCooler Master Storm Trooper
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM, 1600W Power Supply
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G700S
    Headset Logitech G933
    Mouse Pad Corsair Full Size Mouse Pad
    Headset/Speakers Samsung 5.1 Surround Sound THX System
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk AC3200 Router
    Accessory #1 Steam Controller
    Accessory #2 Thrustmaster Warthog With Combat Rudder Pedals
    Accessory #3 UPEK Bio-metric Login
    BlackhatEspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    Will 970 Pro Samsung Drives not work with a ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 Expansion Card?

  6. #16
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Reputation
    33
    Posts
    1,332

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackhatEspeed View Post
    Will 970 Pro Samsung Drives not work with a ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 Expansion Card?
    They will work as individual drives or even in RAID 0,1,5,10 so long as it isn't a boot drive and you aren't trying to use VROC. I have two installed in a x8 slot and they work fine as non-boot drives.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

  7. #17
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    14

    I have a VROC question too.

    I have been using the following set up for about a year:

    MB: Ramapage VI Extreme
    CPU: Core i9 7980XE

    ASUS hyper x16 card (in slot 1 that should allow for 16/8x) with 4 x Optane SSD 900P mounted in the drive bay in my tower. A bit different set up with m.2 - U2 cabling from the 900Ps to the Hyper cards m.2 slots. works well if a bit tight cabling but moves away drives to where they should be - in the tower bay.

    Graphics card: ASUS Strix 1080Ti (in slot 3)

    The 4 900P drives are configured as a VROC RAID 0.

    After a recent upgrade of the BIOS, I just notice that the speed has dropped to 4x for the ASUS hyper x16 card (it's in slot 1).
    Not sure when this happened since I have not checked the speed for a while and done multiple BIOS updates over the past year.

    Anyone else experienced that? Anyone knows how to fix that and force 16x speed for the hyper card in the BIOS...?
    Last edited by Int8bldr; 02-26-2019 at 10:14 PM.

  8. #18
    ROG Enthusiast Array BlackhatEspeed PC Specs
    BlackhatEspeed PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI APEX
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-9820X
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 3200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080
    Sound CardSupreme FX
    MonitorLG 4K Monitor
    Storage #1VROC RAID 0 - 2 X Intel 760P 512GB
    Storage #2PCH RAID 0 - 2 X Intel 760P 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i V2
    CaseCooler Master Storm Trooper
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM, 1600W Power Supply
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G700S
    Headset Logitech G933
    Mouse Pad Corsair Full Size Mouse Pad
    Headset/Speakers Samsung 5.1 Surround Sound THX System
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk AC3200 Router
    Accessory #1 Steam Controller
    Accessory #2 Thrustmaster Warthog With Combat Rudder Pedals
    Accessory #3 UPEK Bio-metric Login
    BlackhatEspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by Int8bldr View Post
    I have a VROC question too.

    I have been using the following set up for about a year:

    MB: Ramapage VI Extreme
    CPU: Core i9 7980XE

    ASUS hyper x16 card (in slot 1 that should allow for 16/8x) with 4 x Optane SSD 900P mounted in the drive bay in my tower. A bit different set up with m.2 - U2 cabling from the 900Ps to the Hyper cards m.2 slots. works well if a bit tight cabling but moves away drives to where they should be - in the tower bay.

    Graphics card: ASUS Strix 1080Ti (in slot 3)

    The 4 900P drives are configured as a VROC RAID 0.

    After a recent upgrade of the BIOS, I just notice that the speed has dropped to 4x for the ASUS hyper x16 card (it's in slot 1).
    Not sure when this happened since I have not checked the speed for a while and done multiple BIOS updates over the past year.

    Anyone else experienced that? Anyone knows how to fix that and force 16x speed for the hyper card in the BIOS...?

    I was under the impression that if you had a 44 lane CPU on the X299 platform slot 1 and 3 were 16x?

    Will VROC work with Intel 760P M.2 SSDs?

    Say, I got 4 X Intel 760P 1TB M.2 SSDs will it boot with a RAID 0?

  9. #19
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackhatEspeed View Post
    I was under the impression that if you had a 44 lane CPU on the X299 platform slot 1 and 3 were 16x?

    Will VROC work with Intel 760P M.2 SSDs?

    Say, I got 4 X Intel 760P 1TB M.2 SSDs will it boot with a RAID 0?
    I am using 4 - 760P 256GB VROC with no problems (no key raid 0 pass through). Its isn't blazing but I'm used to the faster reads and got used to just having it in my system. I also had a 4-SM961 Data Raid 0 with Windows raid.

    Two main reason for RAID:

    1) I bought into the INTEL VROC koolaide, had a quandry with what to do with four 256GB SM 961's - well the answer was to stripe for a 1GB RAID 0 - non bootable.
    Then bought into using the INTEL 256GB 760Ps for VROC and had zero problems configuring and booting with the supplied drivers. I'm used to RAID 0 with a proven and good backup/restore solution that takes 5-10 minutes to restore. The dependability of the Hyper 16 M.2 is great as the VROC/RAID 0 info is stored in one of the drives on the Hyper 16. This makes it great when you clear bios and you only have to disable CSM, Set PCH storage to RAID, boot then set CPU storage to Hyper 16 VROC in the associated slot and away you go (do not have to rebuild the Volume once its built). The VROC information is stored in the array and can be moved to any x16 slot and it boots. Do not change your bios (from 1 to 2) as this did not let my VROC boot but just changing the bios number back lets it boot. This was on the Omega. X299-xe only had one bios so it was never a problem. On the x299-xe I could clear bios, reload the same bios and it always worked without rebuilding the volume and booting.

    2) I got used to the slightly additional speed and the comfort of using my 44 lanes.. I also like RAMCACHE II or III as it helps with the Q depth. from 50 to 200.

    I would wait for the H15 Intel M.2 coming out later this year. I hope that they work better. Yes, it's very true that it takes more time to go through the standard x299 boot process to load the VROC drivers...

    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Next-g....393121.0.html

  10. #20
    ROG Enthusiast Array BlackhatEspeed PC Specs
    BlackhatEspeed PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI APEX
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-9820X
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 3200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080
    Sound CardSupreme FX
    MonitorLG 4K Monitor
    Storage #1VROC RAID 0 - 2 X Intel 760P 512GB
    Storage #2PCH RAID 0 - 2 X Intel 760P 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i V2
    CaseCooler Master Storm Trooper
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM, 1600W Power Supply
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G700S
    Headset Logitech G933
    Mouse Pad Corsair Full Size Mouse Pad
    Headset/Speakers Samsung 5.1 Surround Sound THX System
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk AC3200 Router
    Accessory #1 Steam Controller
    Accessory #2 Thrustmaster Warthog With Combat Rudder Pedals
    Accessory #3 UPEK Bio-metric Login
    BlackhatEspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by ROGman2 View Post
    I am using 4 - 760P 256GB VROC with no problems (no key raid 0 pass through). Its isn't blazing but I'm used to the faster reads and got used to just having it in my system. I also had a 4-SM961 Data Raid 0 with Windows raid.

    Two main reason for RAID:

    1) I bought into the INTEL VROC koolaide, had a quandry with what to do with four 256GB SM 961's - well the answer was to stripe for a 1GB RAID 0 - non bootable.
    Then bought into using the INTEL 256GB 760Ps for VROC and had zero problems configuring and booting with the supplied drivers. I'm used to RAID 0 with a proven and good backup/restore solution that takes 5-10 minutes to restore. The dependability of the Hyper 16 M.2 is great as the VROC/RAID 0 info is stored in one of the drives on the Hyper 16. This makes it great when you clear bios and you only have to disable CSM, Set PCH storage to RAID, boot then set CPU storage to Hyper 16 VROC in the associated slot and away you go (do not have to rebuild the Volume once its built). The VROC information is stored in the array and can be moved to any x16 slot and it boots. Do not change your bios (from 1 to 2) as this did not let my VROC boot but just changing the bios number back lets it boot. This was on the Omega. X299-xe only had one bios so it was never a problem. On the x299-xe I could clear bios, reload the same bios and it always worked without rebuilding the volume and booting.

    2) I got used to the slightly additional speed and the comfort of using my 44 lanes.. I also like RAMCACHE II or III as it helps with the Q depth. from 50 to 200.

    I would wait for the H15 Intel M.2 coming out later this year. I hope that they work better. Yes, it's very true that it takes more time to go through the standard x299 boot process to load the VROC drivers...

    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Next-g....393121.0.html
    Thanks for the information, I have decided to go with 4X:

    256GB Intel Pro 7600p series
    M.2 (22x80) PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, PCIe Gen3 8Gb/s Interface, up to 4 Lanes
    Read 3210MB/s, Data I/O Speed (4KB) Up to 205K IOPS
    Write 1315MB/s, Random Write Up to 256K IOPS

    I'm going to attempt a RAID 0 and hoping to A. have it be the boot drive, and B. look like these kind of speeds:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compx-seqramp.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	79219

    Going to overclock my i9-9820X and my RAM and see if I can get faster speeds.
    Last edited by BlackhatEspeed; 02-28-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •