cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX STRIX 1080TI OC COIL WHINE (Not buzzing or PSU CW)

Bartholdi
Level 7
Hey Amazing forum

So I've had my 1080ti for about a year and it has started to Coilwhine or component buzz under minimal load (albeit only in 3D applications).
I've made a video that clearly shows the incessant noise.

Wondering whether to send the video straight to ASUS or using "the place I bought it" (ASUS support tells me to send the card itself to "the place I bought it" for possible RMA).
This will leave me without a card for some time, so I'm hesitant to do this as I've yet to find a card lying around that will run my pg348Q.
From this thread it seems obvious that it makes sense to send it to ASUS dircetly.

The reason I buy the ASUS xx80ti's every other generation is exactly because I expect high quality components.

I clipped the points below from a previous thread and put in my attempts to answer/question the answers (mine are underlined):

1) PSUs produce their own coil whine. How much depends on the quality, type, specs, and size of the components used.
Exactly, that's why we buy into the top notch ROG brand - these cards shouldn't have that incessant whine.

2) The graphics card also produces some coil whine. Again, how much depends on the quality, type, specs, and size of the components used.
Same as #1.

3) Interaction between the PSU and graphics card can result in louder coil whine.
Yes, I tested with different PSU's with high wattage rating.

4) Coil whine is related to frequency and current.
It is yes, that's why a No-OC Strix card should have less audible whine than cards from inferior brands.

5) Rapid changes in current demands (such as rapid load modulation when transitioning from low power state) is a major contributor to piezoelectric noise (some capacitor types are more prone to this).
Maybe Gamers Nexus could provide the info on which capacitors are present on the "rog-strix-gtx1080ti-11g-gaming" as opposed other 1080ti's with less audible whine?
I will ask them unless anyone here can provide the info?

6) As ripple frequency and other sources of power related noise can impact the level of coil whine, some combinations of psu and graphics cards may exhibit more noise than others. For a vendor, it is very difficult to account for all permutations because cost is a factor if you want to increase resilience to coil whine. There is only so much a vendor will or can do.
So it is a NVIDIA problem? Surely the capacitors are vendor-specific and even related to the VRM.

7) As current plays a part, the amount of audible whine will vary from system to system.
So changing to a 1200 watt, high quality PSU as apposed to a AX860 for instance could remove the whine from the card?

The points above are just a part of the picture. The rest requires a solid electronic engineering/power design background to grasp. Not for mere mortals like us.
Yes, thanks for answering the questions Raja - I hope it is OK I have some follow up questions 🙂
1 REPLY 1

Bartholdi
Level 7
Noone cares?