cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5930k + Rampage V Extreme - Random Reboots (CPU Idle)

BossJ
Level 7
So I moved my old gaming comp into a new rig to be used as a server.

In my gaming system I was running it at 4.5Ghz...

Now I'm just running optimized defaults. My rig is:

i7 5930k
Rampage V Extreme
G.Skill 32GB (all slots filled) F4-2800C16-4GRK
EVGA 850w Power Supply
Nvidia 770
Random HDDs and Raid setups..
Win10

My issue is... It runs rock steady during Prime95 and realbench - I can run them for hours and nothing, but randomly I won't be doing anything on it (it stays on 24/7 or should - for plex and camera software) - and it will restart on me and then have trouble rebooting into windows. It'll reboot and get to the window splash screen and reboot again - cycle until I power it down and cmos clear or turn the power supply off and hit the power button.

Have no idea why. Temps are at idle 30C - 60C under an hour or two of load... I've also memtest the RAM - but I can't run the system on XMP (I don't change anything else - so maybe thats why)

Could it be my power supply? Any expertise.

Also - the CPU/MOBO/RAM are the only things that transferred from my gaming rig to my server... SO the power supply and HDDs (SSDs/Mechanical) are from my original server.

Thanks for helping!
4 REPLIES 4

davemon50
Level 11
Tried running stock speeds for a while?

Tried reseating all RAM, or using 1 stick at a time for a while?
Davemon50

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Could potentially be the PSU, yes. You'd need to test with another unit, but random reboots at low load are common with power supply failure.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Could potentially be the PSU, yes. You'd need to test with another unit, but random reboots at low load are common with power supply failure.

Thanks for that.

And yes I've also reseated all RAM. I haven't tested individual RAM but I've ran mem86 plus other stress testers for hours and nothing. The system is at stock settings.

Until I get a new PSU in, I've also plugged into a different wall outlet and unplugged from battery backup. Maybe that's defective

BossJ
Level 7
Update: seems to have been the power supply. Everything is stable as of last Friday. Thanks for your help!