cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootable raid with samsung nvme and no vroc!

G75rog
Level 10
Received my new Highpoint SSD7102 today. (Ordered the 7102 direct from Highpoint Store) Installed 2 Samsung 2TB 970 Evo drives, followed the instructions to update the bios and prepare a USB driver stick.
Used the EFI USB utilities to create the 3.7TB Raid array on the 7102 and installed a booting Win 10 1809 on the first try!

BTW this is on a Rampage VI Apex.

Happy days!
3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
Nothing monumental, can do the same with DIMM.2 slots and onboard M.2. This was done at launch of the platform with several different raid controllers, easy peasy. I’ve done this as far back as pentium machines where the board has no raid function. *The gripe with X299 always was trying to get non intel drives to boot from hyperX16 card that never worked and still won’t, only software raid and non bootable. Looking at your results you are still being bottlenecked and Q1 is lacking. *Two intel 900P drives in VROC gets me 5500MB/S sequential reads (nearly double yours) and 200MB/S Q1 reads (nearly 4X yours).**Put those same drives on a hyperX card and do software raid and you’ll get every bit of 7000 MB/S sequential but won’t be able to boot from it.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

G75rog
Level 10
This card takes the place of my Hyper 16. I loaded 2 970 EVO 2TB on the card to create the Raid and loaded W10 on it to demonstrate it was bootable. The raid was then promptly removed and I went back to my usual non Raid config. The CDM is not of a Raid array, just a 970 Pro on the card. Read the first post carefully.

I bought the card to boot Win, Linux, and Mac from individual drives without some convoluted boot manager scheme.
The 8TB of 960 Pro drives formerly on the Hyper 16 now reside on the 2 Dimm.2 cards.

JustinThyme
Level 13
What are you getting on raid drives?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein