cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuttering issues with second 1070 TI after RMA'ing first one

TerenceDactyl
Level 7
Hello all,

I created this account to post about this issue as I am now at a loss as to what to do.

I bought an ASUS Strix 1070 Ti about 7 months ago and was disappointed with its performance in general and experienced a couple of significant issues. I was experiencing stuttering during game play with frames dropping to single digits for a second. This happened frequently enough to not be acceptable. I also experienced several crashes with blue square artifacts being displayed all over the screen.

I tried everything I could find on these forums where people were experiencing similar issues and nothing fixed it. Sometimes things would seem to improve but then the next day back to stuttering.

People were saying that my old CPU was probably throttling etc. so I even went as far as to upgrade Mobo, CPU and RAM and the experience was the same.

Eventually after a month of back and forth with the tech support I managed to get an RMA number, sent the card off and very quickly received what I assume to be a new card in the mail.

Oh repair report stated the Problem/Symptom was : “Garbage or crapped display with all output ports when boot up” Action : “RMA service policy direct credit/swap & no repair.”
So I am also assuming that the card was indeed defective and they sent me a new one.

While the new card does seem to be better and more stable, I am still experiencing the primary and most frustrating issue of stuttering in games, which otherwise would be lovely and smooth with a high frame rate.

I took a screenshot of Assassin's Creed Origins with the performance overlay to illustrate the problem.

I am open to the idea that I am doing something wrong and am able to fix this on my end but I do not know what to do at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

panzlock
Level 12
What are your other specs? Are you using an SSD?

What are system temps? Anything (CPU, GPU) being severely throttled?

Windows 10? What version? I heard some versions caused stuttering.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1809 (build 17763.253)
Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME X370-A Rev X.0x
CPU: 3.85 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core
CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3000ghz
Intel SSD and TOSHIBA HDWD130 standard hdd

Including screen shots of cpu and gpu temps etc. while Assassin's creed is running.

Also want to note that while I was waiting on the RMA I went back to my EVGA 980 with everything else the same and it was perfectly stable, no stuttering whatsoever.

Thanks again.

panzlock
Level 12
Temps are perfect.

Hmmmmmmm.

What about Windows power plan? Try setting the power plan to high performance.

Probably a redundant suggestion but make sure your drivers are up to date (latest driver with no issues).

Power plan is on high performance and latest drivers are installed.

I have a 750W EVGA power supply too if that makes any difference.

I have tried just about every suggestion I could find.

panzlock
Level 12
Running out of ideas.

PSU should be fine since this is not a problem with your 980. The 1070 draws less power.

What about your RAM? Is it high? Check the RAM usage when gaming as that will affect performance. I remember War Tunder had a memory leak following an update. My 1070 handled it fine but the 560Ti on my other PC stuttered. Although again, your 980 runs this game without issue so probably not.

So I checked the RAM usage and it is normal, but thinking about it I went into BIOS, updated it and OC'd the ram slightly.
I fired up AC: Origins and it was running smoothly so I was pleasantly surprised, but this has fooled me before.

I then tried Vermintide 2 and it was stuttering but infrequently, so I tried Battlefield 1 which had been the worst probably and it was stuttering away like crazy as usual and unplayable.

This is so frustrating and sometimes I feel like I'm being unreasonable in my expectation. However having gone back to my 980 and not experiencing any of this I kinda wish I had just stuck with that. Granted the frame rates are a bit lower but it's smooth and stable.

I really appreciate your replies and suggestions, thanks for taking your time.

Do ASUS people ever respond to posts like these?

Is my only option RMA'ing again?

TerenceDactyl wrote:
Do ASUS people ever respond to posts like these?

Is my only option RMA'ing again?

This is a user forum sponsored by ASUS. Few actual ASUS employees actually frequent these forums.

You best bet here is to post in service related inquiries section. They do look at that but dont monitor anything.

Other than that I would create another ticket as its obviously the board if another, even older, works fine.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
This is a user forum sponsored by ASUS. Few actual ASUS employees actually frequent these forums.

You best bet here is to post in service related inquiries section. They do look at that but dont monitor anything.

Other than that I would create another ticket as its obviously the board if another, even older, works fine.

Note that Service Inquiries is only for people with an existing RMA. Please do not post there unless you meet the requirements in the Sticky thread at the top of the section.

Thanks
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…