cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening GL703GS and repasting CPU and GPU voids the warranty?

hexaae
Level 12
A simple question: Opening GL703GS to repaste CPU and GPU voids the warranty?
Why I'm asking? Because after 2nd RMA and new mobo it returned with very high temps. CPU before, in fans Balanced mode: 85-88-91 °C, now after 2 mins some cores randomly and easily reach 96-98°C. Also GPU before RMA was max 82°C now 87°C after 2 mins playing games like Rise of the Tomb Raider.
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse
16 REPLIES 16

Wrinkly
Level 7
Also interested to know this. I'd like to repaste using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, a non conductive paste.

Wrinkly wrote:
Also interested to know this. I'd like to repaste using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, a non conductive paste.

Same here.
At present AIDA64 or HWiNFO always report some Thermal Throttling for me, and some cores randomly reach up to 96°C, or even more!
Sent it in RMA and returned with the same temps.
Even though I've read some who consider these temps "normal" I'm quite sure they aren't since I myself got max 88°C with my previous (faulty) motherboard (sent it in RMA 3 times already for other issues!!) and videos like this confirm 88-89°C as a "ok max temp", not 96°C+:

(see at 36:24)
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

85C Max here and that's at a sustained 3.9GHz, admittedly it's undervolted by -140mV. Temp can spike higher, however once the cooling solution spools up 85C is maximum temp on the cores, ambient generally 24C/26C. Don't see any issue with repasting, just need to be careful and do your homework first.

Q-6

JustinThyme
Level 13
AFAIK there are no seals so if you dont blow it and destroy anything they wont question it. In the US market they have removed any warranty disclaimers on broken seals BUT the user or unauthorized shop that is deemed to have caused damage voids the warranty.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

hexaae
Level 12
Yep there are no seals...
--

hexaae
Level 12
Looks like GL703GS (i7-8750h + 1070 8GB) has white paste on the vrm small chips instead of pads... should I replace that with new thermal paste or can I use Arctic pads 0.5 in your opinion? I'm going to clean up the white paste and use pads only for the vrm chips. Or white paste on vrms should be replaced only with other thermal paste because of the high temps?
Looks like this (GL702VS previous model):
https://youtu.be/7glBCZr8ntI?t=528
(min 8:46)

Queen6 can you please test AIDA64 System Stabilty stress test and flag everything including 'Stress GPU', except 'Stress local disks'. Do you have some Thermal Throttling? And what's your max CPU temp after the test for 1 minute (see Statistics tab)?
At the beginning of the test or 10 secs later I have a variable Thermal Throttling spike (sometimes 5%, sometimes 18%, CPU max reached 93-95°C), then the temps are stabilized lower to 84-88°C... I have to understand if this is normal for GL703GS.
--

hexaae wrote:
Looks like GL703GS (i7-8750h + 1070 8GB) has white paste on the vrm small chips instead of pads... should I replace that with new thermal paste or can I use Arctic pads 0.5 in your opinion? I'm going to clean up the white paste and use pads only for the vrm chips. Or white paste on vrms should be replaced only with other thermal paste because of the high temps?
Looks like this (GL702VS previous model):
https://youtu.be/7glBCZr8ntI?t=528
(min 8:46)

Queen6 can you please test AIDA64 System Stabilty stress test and flag everything including 'Stress GPU', except 'Stress local disks'. Do you have some Thermal Throttling? And what's your max CPU temp after the test for 1 minute (see Statistics tab)?
At the beginning of the test or 10 secs later I have a variable Thermal Throttling spike (sometimes 5%, sometimes 18%, CPU max reached 93-95°C), then the temps are stabilized lower to 84-88°C... I have to understand if this is normal for GL703GS.

Sorry as this system for work purpose and a function of Revenue, I only install what I need. What I can do is this:
2:50 minutes into Corona Renderer & OCCT GPU, Max peak CPU temp 93C, once the cooling solution spools up 79C. I can push it harder as currently CPU PL-2 power limit is in effect, unlocking the power limits performance is much the same with a constant 60W draw on the CPU. I don't worry about spike in temperature, more max temperature under sustained load

Same this time with Prime95 Small FFT, CPU max power draw 85W at full Tubo, unlocking the PL-2 limit it will hold a full 3.9GHz across all cores indefinitely, although likely not prudent to do so.

I'll look to see if I can find a higher load, although so far nothing has remotely phased the notebook. Throttle indicator in ThrottleStop is trigged by the PL-2 limit kicking in, not thermals or power supply.

Ambient 24C, stock paste, computer up for 12 hours in continuous use.

What you might be seeing is the PL-2 limit kicking in at the 28 second mark, this will enforce a 45W max power draw for the CPU, equally this is completely reproduceable & systematic seeing a reduction in CPU temp, frequency & output.

Q-6

hexaae
Level 12
Thank you very much, so you too have small spikes of 93-96°C max. That's what I wanted to know because here is the same: with undervolt I'm around 80-88°C with almost every game (including Raise of the Tomb Raider or Witcher 3 etc...), but through AIDA64 Extreme (free) using the 'System Stability Test', or other stress tools, it can actually reach spikes of 93°C or more.
It's normal behaviour then. I asked this because many GL703GS users after repaste claim they are always under 88°C which sounded a bit untrue or "not exact" to me.
Thanks for your tests! 🙂
--

hexaae wrote:
Thank you very much, so you too have small spikes of 93-96°C max. That's what I wanted to know because here is the same: with undervolt I'm around 80-88°C with almost every game (including Raise of the Tomb Raider or Witcher 3 etc...), but through AIDA64 Extreme (free) using the 'System Stability Test', or other stress tools, it can actually reach spikes of 93°C or more.
It's normal behaviour then. I asked this because many GL703GS users after repaste claim they are always under 88°C which sounded a bit untrue or "not exact" to me.
Thanks for your tests! 🙂

Much depends on the load, temperature spikes are of little concern it's the sustained temperature that's important. When you think about it the CPU/GPU can boost instantly, the fans not so much, taking time to spool up and reduce the CPU/GPU temperature.

Gaming it sits around 75C - 85C, if your concerned create a profile in Throttlestop and reduce the CPU Turbo limits, unless the game is CPU bound very few are going to need a hex core CPU running at max frequency/load. What I would say is that 85C is a good number, equally you will see spikes for obvious reasons. Even under Prime95 which is a brutal as it gets for the CPU the temperature settles at mid 70C, even with Turbo limits unlocked it never gets to T-junction/throttling.

IMHO repasting is hit and miss with notebooks and difficult to really know the facts. What I think is you'll see a marginal improvement, many see big changes as they have also likely cleaned out the cooling system in the process. LM will make a difference, equally has it's own drawbacks.

For me as long as the notebook isn't throttling I leave it be, the stock paste is designed for longevity and generally ok if applied correctly, others you may get a reduction in temp, and you many also need to repaste more frequently. As I depend on the notebook for work purpose and can be located in remote places I tested my GL703GS heavily and it never overheated or throttled with the cooling solution being easily adequate.

Try HWinfo64 and log the temp, then import to Excel etc. and create a chart, then look at the average, likely be the same as mine in the 75C - 85C range depending on the game TBH that's to be expected in a relatively thin chassis with a 8750H & GTX1070.

Q-6