Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
    Thank you very much, so you too have small spikes of 93-96°C max. That's what I wanted to know because here is the same: with undervolt I'm around 80-88°C with almost every game (including Raise of the Tomb Raider or Witcher 3 etc...), but through AIDA64 Extreme (free) using the 'System Stability Test', or other stress tools, it can actually reach spikes of 93°C or more.
    It's normal behaviour then. I asked this because many GL703GS users after repaste claim they are always under 88°C which sounded a bit untrue or "not exact" to me.
    Thanks for your tests!
    Much depends on the load, temperature spikes are of little concern it's the sustained temperature that's important. When you think about it the CPU/GPU can boost instantly, the fans not so much, taking time to spool up and reduce the CPU/GPU temperature.

Gaming it sits around 75C - 85C, if your concerned create a profile in Throttlestop and reduce the CPU Turbo limits, unless the game is CPU bound very few are going to need a hex core CPU running at max frequency/load. What I would say is that 85C is a good number, equally you will see spikes for obvious reasons. Even under Prime95 which is a brutal as it gets for the CPU the temperature settles at mid 70C, even with Turbo limits unlocked it never gets to T-junction/throttling.

IMHO repasting is hit and miss with notebooks and difficult to really know the facts. What I think is you'll see a marginal improvement, many see big changes as they have also likely cleaned out the cooling system in the process. LM will make a difference, equally has it's own drawbacks.

For me as long as the notebook isn't throttling I leave it be, the stock paste is designed for longevity and generally ok if applied correctly, others you may get a reduction in temp, and you many also need to repaste more frequently. As I depend on the notebook for work purpose and can be located in remote places I tested my GL703GS heavily and it never overheated or throttled with the cooling solution being easily adequate.

Try HWinfo64 and log the temp, then import to Excel etc. and create a chart, then look at the average, likely be the same as mine in the 75C - 85C range depending on the game TBH that's to be expected in a relatively thin chassis with a 8750H & GTX1070.

Q-6

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array hexaae PC Specs
    hexaae PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS Gaming Laptop GL703GS
    MotherboardIntel HM370 Cannon Lake-H
    Processori7-8750H
    Memory (part number)32GB DDR4 @2666MHz (dual-channel)
    Graphics Card #1NVidia GTX 1070 8GB
    Monitor1080p 144Hz 17" G-Sync AUO B173HAN03.2
    Storage #11TB SSD Crucial MX300
    Storage #2NVMe Samsung PM916
    Mouse Microsoft PN7-00004 Bluetooth Mobile Mouse 3600
    Mouse Pad MouseRug collection
    Headset/Speakers Realtek HD (ALC295)
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Accessory #1 XBox One S Bluetooth Gamepad
    Accessory #2 Competition Pro USB arcade joystick SpeedLink SL-6603-SPORTS-EU

With AIDA64 System Stability Test you should have something like this:

After some seconds spikes up to 93°C then settles at about 75-83°C. Can you confirm?
    Reported CPU throttling around 5-25% sometimes for a few secs.
    Last edited by hexaae; 02-09-2019 at 10:45 AM.

With AIDA64 System Stability Test you should have something like this:

After some seconds spikes up to 93°C then settles at about 75-83°C. Can you confirm?
    Reported CPU throttling around 5-25% sometimes for a few secs.
    That's what it should do, the throttling you need to investigate, as it may be related to something else the than the CPU (BD PROCHOT). If it's temp due to the fans catching up with the CPU it doesn't matter. CPU will run at up to 90W (PL-2) for the first 28 seconds then the PL-1 limit will kick in reducing power to 45W.

Q-6

hexaae PC Specs
    Processori7-8750H
    OS Windows 10 x64

Can you please test your AIDA Extreme System Stability Test results and see if you too have CPU throttling spike at the beginning (only) and your max reached temp?
    https://www.aida64.com/downloads
    Last edited by hexaae; 02-10-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Can you please test your AIDA Extreme System Stability Test results and see if you too have CPU throttling spike at the beginning (only) and your max reached temp?
    https://www.aida64.com/downloads
    No can do, this is a production system rerolled as workstation. Sorry not willing to risk destabilising the system as I'm currently in the field on my primary engineering project, with 8 desktops open.

Here your seeing Prime95 Small FFT running & Cinebench R15 running simultaneously, which is a totally unrealistic load for the CPU to deal with, likely way more than AIDA can reproduce.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prime95_Cinebench_R15 in progress.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	590.7 KB 
ID:	78771

1104CB many hex core notebooks can't come close to this let alone while running Prime95 at the same time cooling solution is fine, zero throttle.

Name:	Prime95_Cinebench_R15.jpg 
Size:	643.8 KB 
ID:	78772

Here Turbo PL-1 power limit unlocked and increased to 65W, again no thermal or power throttling. No point in passing 65W as the chassis is not capable of cooling beyond this point, thermal throttling will kick in. ThrottleStop Is flagging the demand exceeding the now 65W PL-1 limit. I could increase to 90W equally system would just thermally throttle so no point. Unlocking the Turbo power limits breaks the TDP down feature (Silent, Balanced, OverBoost) for the CPU which I use a lot.

Name:	65W.jpg 
Size:	552.2 KB 
ID:	78773

Your notebook is fine, it's more the interpretation of the data. GL703GS is relatively thin & light for a 17" notebook with a TDP of well over 200W. 85C is a reasonable temp under sustained load. You cant bend the laws of physics or thermal dynamics. Just look at the new GX 701 and how much ROG had to do just reduce the physical size by a few mm. What your seeing in AIDA is to be expected.

As I said if your concerned with temps reduce the Tubo limits in ThrottleStop or disable as very few, if any games will benefit from all 6 cores running a maximum load. If you see FPS drop increase the limits a touch. Me I set all to Max and unless it throttles I don't care, reason I use gaming notebooks is the cooing is generally far better, nor do I need Zeon processors or ECC RAM.

All under W10 Pro - 1809

Q-6

hexaae PC Specs
    Processori7-8750H
    OS Windows 10 x64

Well AIDA64 Extreme is also available in ZIP portable version from the official site, and won't alter your system. You can just run and test.
    Thanks anyway for the sshots with TS + HWiNFO confirming that is "normal" to reach sometimes 95-96°C spikes with i7-8750H on these ASUS laptops.
    Obviously this happens only for a few moments (here too) and looks like nothing to be worried about since 99.99% stays around 80-88°C under load.
    Last edited by hexaae; 02-11-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Well AIDA64 Extreme is also available in ZIP portable version from the official site, and won't alter your system. You can just run and test.
    Thanks anyway for the sshots with TS + HWiNFO confirming that is "normal" to reach sometimes 95-96°C spikes with i7-8750H on these ASUS laptops.
    Obviously this happens only for a few moments (here too) and looks like nothing to be worried about since 99.99% stays around 80-88°C under load.
    And it could crash my system, with 8 open desktops of work. What's installed I know is stable...

Q-6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2