cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIMM.2 - installing M.2 with heat sink

shark75
Level 7
I installed two M.2 (Samsung 1TB Evo) with heat sinks on the DIMM.2. But, as you can see on the picture, the M.2 bends easily. Is this a problem? Maybe it will be better with some "heat" in operation? Otherwise I have to buy thinner thermal pads (e.g. 0,5mm).

Furthermore is it better to install the OS on the right M.2? Because I think the airflow will be better and the DDR4 module is very close to the left M.2.*

78322*
8 REPLIES 8

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yes thats a problem.
I use EK heatsinks that wrap each stick without going past the socket or mounting screws.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

That's really strange. Normally most of the dimm.2/heat sink user must have the same situation - or maybe they had no look on the NVMe after the installation...

JustinThyme
Level 13
Honestly your sample is the very first time Ive seen such a poor design. The EK goes on the M2 before you put it in. The connectiion end is exposed and there is a notch in the other end where the screw goes. Here is my actual installation as good as I can get anyway, tube in front of it but you can see the screw end well, the M2 is sandwiched between a flat plate on the back that has a thermal pad and the finned sink on the front. Impossible to do what you are showing.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Level 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIqpYNzufjQ

Thank you! I will buy the EK one...

Telstar
Level 9
shark75 wrote:
Furthermore is it better to install the OS on the right M.2? Because I think the airflow will be better and the DDR4 module is very close to the left M.2.

They don't run that hot to require ventilation: the heatsinks will do the job, in short it doesn't matter.

Menthol
Level 14
I would have to take out my DIMM.2 module to check but I think there is a small rubber bumper on the module that the M.2 drive rests against that would prevent this, I will look next time I turn off my system.

Either way I would remove the heatsink and verify the mounting of the drive, and remount the heatsink before purchasing an after market heatsink

im no tech wiz but i think the plastic film might be on it still? you can see a thin film above the modules and the bend point and i would think those would be pressed into the thermal pad, i could be wrong but who knows, the asus dimm.2 modules with the heatsink look sexy af though