cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia Driver Update 259.12 > 260.99

Retired
Not applicable
I have tried to update my Nvidia drivers from 259.12 to 260.99 for my G73JW. For some reason as it trys to install the download there is an error message and it will not proceed with the update of the drivers. Is anyone else having this problem? Did you find a solution?
Regards,
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
Just saying there is "an error message" is entirely unhelpful. Details?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

MISIKEX
Level 7
Hi all,

As mentioned, 260.63 works perfectly fine with the 460m, but if you really want 260.99 (like I did because a stuttering fix for fallout 3 and possibly new vegas has been implemented like back on 186.18 and 188.25) then I might be able to help with that.

I have an Asus G73JW which has an nvidia gtx 460m. The installer will launch and then give the message that I don't have compatible hardware just like everyone else in this thread. Firstly, somebody at the notebookreview forum said they modded the .inf and got a looping black screen. They must have modded the .inf incorrectly then, because I currently have it running 100% perfectly on my 460m with no issues at all. Modifying the .inf is not as easy as adding that hardware ID string that some people make it out to be... the .inf file uses variables for hardware IDs and in other spots points the variables to an area called sectionxx which has settings pertaining to which files to copy, other variables that control things such as display dimming, and much more. Plus there are different sections for Vista 64 and Windows 7 64. Modding the .inf and messing with these is NOT RECOMMENDED because you can seriously create problems! But I did this anyway since I have confidence in what I am doing and I had no issues at all. But I found out how you can install the driver without messing very much at all with the inf! Makes it quite easy to install!

NOTE, THIS IS ONLY FOR THE 460m IN THE G73JW! If you have a system with the same hardware ID (go to control panel-device manager-display-nvidia- and the hardware ID matches something in either ListDevices.txt in the nvidia driver folder, then continue!)

First, download 260.99 and run the executable (it will fail). Next, install 260.63 from here: DOWNLOAD

In C:\Nvidia\DisplayDriver you will have two folders - one for each driver version. I ran a diff on each, and other than the displaydriver and 3dvision folders everything is identical. You don't have to mess with 3dvision, just the displaydriver which has the exact same files in both version. The ONLY thing you have to do is modify the inf. Easier said that done, right? Well yes it is, cause this is all you have to do. Navigate to the 260.63 folder and open up the sub folders for international, etc. Open the nvam.inf file - this is the file for asus computers with nvidia graphics cards only. Do not modify or delete any of the other .inf files! (or the installer will fail).

Now, with nvam.inf open for 260.63, navigate to the exact same file for 260.99 and open the same file. Copy the following from the first 10 lines of the text file:

; NVIDIA Windows Vista / Windows 7 (64 bit) Display INF file
; Copyright © NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Provider = %NVIDIA%
ClassGUID = {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class = Display
DriverVer = 10/08/2010, 8.17.12.6099
CatalogFile = NV_DISP.CAT

Now open up the 260.63 version of the file, highlight the exact same 10 lines and paste the ones copied from 260.99 (version number changes). Save the .inf and copy it to the same folder for 260.99

These files are IDENTICAL as far as what to copy and what to add/remove from the registry EXCEPT for new nvidia cards which we don't car about since we only care about our 460m! (and that's taken care of!)

I did a diff and the only thing that affected me was in the registry the 260.99 had a line to remove HKLM\software\NVIDIA CORPORATION\global\Startup (the whole folder). Also said to do this for HKCU but there was no startup folder

Either way, I don't think you have to touch it since the new driver will create/overwrite these entries anyways. So copy the .inf to the same folder in 260.99, run setup, enjoy

It will flawlessly install

When you get to the display.driver folder, look for and open the Device

By: MISIKEX

/// If you have a little time, please "LIKE" my Facebook page. w.I.w-GAMING Facebook Community