INTEL 7980XE
Rampage VI Extreme Board
Corsair Vengence 16GB*4 EA
M.2 NVME SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB * 3 EA
EVGA 1080TI FTW3

OS / Windows 10 RS5
Bios 1603

Hi, technical support.
Here's a raid inquiry for the Rampage VI Extreme Board.
I am 970 pro 1tb in slot DIMM.2_1. 970 pro 1tb *2 EA is used in DIMM.2_2 expansion card.

However, the nvme card of 970 pro * 3EA cannot be set in the bios screen. It's
EX) When setting the Raid, 3TB Nvme

question

1. Is this not set?
2, Then, can I set the VROC Prime key?

Select on question 2
[YES] Use the VROC Prime key to select Samsung 970 Pro *3 EA Can I set it through the VROC Prime key?
[NO] If setup is not possible through the VROC Prime key Can't you set the original settings on the board bios screen?

3. If question 2 says YES, VROC Prime key is Are all Intel products the same size?

Select from Question 3
[YES] Please link to the site where you purchased the product.
[NO] Then, please link me to the site where I should buy the product.

4. If question 2 says NO,

I am asking if Samsung 970 Pro *3 EA can be set to Raid through a future BIOS update.

Please give me an answer as soon as possible
7 REPLIES 7

Brighttail
Level 11
Simply put, you cannot use VROC using any drive other than on select Intel drives. VROC is not possible on the x299 platform using Samsung drives UNLESS you have a XEON processor and have the appropriate VROC key.

You will also not be able to set up RAID as a bootable drive using the Samsung drives. You can set RAID using the Samsung drives if they are going to be non-bootable drives and if that is the case it is better to use normal Windows RAID.

I suggest you scroll back a few pages on this forum to see the discussions on VROC RAID and what is required. As it is right now your system will not be able to use VROC at all.

The DIMM.2 slot shares resources with I believe the last PCI-e Slot, so if you have something in there you may not be able to use both slots on the DIMM.2. You definitely won't be able to do anything with VROC as stated earlier.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

JustinThyme
Level 13
You can do a bootable raid, non VROC with two of the drives with one in DIMM.2_2 being the one on the outside and the one under the armor. DIMM.2_1, the one on the inside, does in fact share with the bottom PCIE slot aka PCICEX16_4 abd cab be set up as stand alone or as VROC with an intel M2 when in CPU mode with another intel drive in an M2 Adaptor installed as an AIC.
As BT already said no Intel Drives, no VROC.

Also be aware this isn't a tech support site, just and ASUS sponsored enthusiast forum. If you have a general need for ASUS tech support the best bet is to log a ticket online in the support page where you register your products.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
You can do a bootable raid, non VROC with two of the drives with one in DIMM.2_2 being the one on the outside and the one under the armor. DIMM.2_1, the one on the inside, does in fact share with the bottom PCIE slot aka PCICEX16_4 abd cab be set up as stand alone or as VROC with an intel M2 when in CPU mode with another intel drive in an M2 Adaptor installed as an AIC.
As BT already said no Intel Drives, no VROC.

Also be aware this isn't a tech support site, just and ASUS sponsored enthusiast forum. If you have a general need for ASUS tech support the best bet is to log a ticket online in the support page where you register your products.

Ah yes that is right you can do it but you won't do it through the CPU lanes, but it will be limited in bandwidth if I remember correctly, like in the Z170 and z270 iterations.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yep, can be done but useless as a single drive 960Pro or 970Pro speeds already pretty much max out the 4 lanes of the DMI bus. You actually hurt your performance for nothing as there is very little gain in sequential like maybe from 3500MB/S to 3700MB/S but due to the raid latency you lose in Q1 random down from like 55MB/S to 40MB/S or less.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

restsugavan
Level 13
There was a new toys from Intel for VROC build not far from here. Just waiting to see performace of these toys.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/memory-storage/optane-memory/optane-memory-h10...
W11CANARY 26100.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.12 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
There was a new toys from Intel for VROC build not far from here. Just waiting to see performace of these toys.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/memory-storage/optane-memory/optane-memory-h10...

Well that doesn’t say very much. My guess is flop city. The 905P M.2 sticks actually offer something you can put in a HyperX16 card and do a VROC array with but reviews are showing them slower than U2 and AIC counterparts. **

JustinThyme wrote:
Well that doesn’t say very much. My guess is flop city. The 905P M.2 sticks actually offer something you can put in a HyperX16 card and do a VROC array with but reviews are showing them slower than U2 and AIC counterparts. **

That because 905P M.2 380GB stick was perform below other models on U.2 and PCIe SSD form factors. I think H10 model that combine 32GB Optane + 1TB 660p QLC model VROCs setup may interesting than 905P M.2 380GB VROCs system . We must waiting and see how Intel Rapid
Storage Technology 17.0.0.1072 + Optane Accelerator 17.0.0.1072 perform together on these toy.
W11CANARY 26100.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.12 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X