cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What fans would work with Aura?

homdax
Level 7
I recently changed my chassi from a closed tower with no glass panels or visible areas to a Cube chassi with see through fan mesh, glass sides and stuff. In doing that my plan was not so much a component upgrade, but a switch of fans and getting some lighting visible using Aura.

Mobo: ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
GPU: Strix Geforce 1060
KeyB: Rog Strix Flare

All AURA compatible.

For starters I bought a triple set of Corsair 120mm fans with a RGB LED controller, I just assumed it would work connecting them to the motherboard, but turns out the RGB controller is connected with separate cabling so not working with only the fans connected to mobo.

What fans with integrated LED RGB would work with Aura using the Aura controller software to handle the lighting effect?

Another thing, I could use a tip for additional fan mobo connectors, normal Y cables are not enough.
9 REPLIES 9

JustinThyme
Level 13
Corsair fans won’t, they have to use the Corsair commander or lighting node. There are lots that do but not as awesome as the LL series. If they are guaranteed to work with aura the webpage will have an aura logo on it.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

homdax
Level 7
No examples?

Menthol
Level 14
The RGB fans that came with my Lian Li case work with AURA, as Justin said, google fans AURA compatible

Justin (I prefer the LL fans myself) very good airflow for noise ratio

Menthol wrote:

Justin (I prefer the LL fans myself) very good airflow for noise ratio

I put in just a few of them......half of the push pull, the other half are the ML series, no point in having lights you can't see and they also have a nice static pressure and flow to noise ratio. 20 fans in all

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

homdax
Level 7
Sorry, I see now you wrote LL indicating Liang Li... 😛

That's many fans, how do you get power to them? Fan controllers?

homdax
Level 7
Ok, after some searching I have come to realize that its a bloody mess to find out.

The info on Asus site is only available as you watch one of the movies, and thus you get In-Win. After some additional searching I found that many, if not all, many of the CoolerMaster RGB fans are Aura compatible, with the Aura logo on the fans description on CM's site. After that we do of course have Lian-Li as well, but looking on the site I see the Aura logo only on the Bora-Lite series.

There is of course another aspect in this, if you are cunning enough to determine from the technical specifications that the Fan should work with Aura, regardless of Aura logo on their site, then feel free, buy it. I am not that cunning, yet.

I find the lack of correct information on behalf of Asus disturbing. After all, the fans must have been approved for the Aura logo rite?

JustinThyme
Level 13
RGB for the most part is RGB. More will work than do not. You just have to make sure that they are not like Corsair and have propreitarty connectors. Truth be known you could get the Corsair fans to work if you could figure out which pin does what, cut the ends off and install different ends but thats too much trouble when you and just but their controller which quite frankly blows aura out of the water. Then consider 5V addressable vs 12V non addressable.

For my fans the RGB is done with lighting nodes from ccorsair each node has 2 channels, each channel can do 6 fans or sections of strips. The biggest PITA is making sure you get them in the correct order. Tha fans themselves are all PWM in 3 channels and PWM D5 pumps on a 4th channel all being controlled by an aquaero controller becuase Ive found nothing else that will work like it does. Tight curves and flawless........dayum, sounds like a a date!! LOL RGB is off the chain now. Went from non existent to overly abundant is 0.25 seconds. First thing you have to think about is the fans purpose as in moving air. RGB is ancillary

homdax
Level 7
Well, fan function are of course a must, but I have a cozy corner for my current desktop (Corsair 540), modded it a bit for more lighting so it will become a bit of a colourful furniture in a corner in my room. Never had that before so its kinda fun. Made an order for two sets of 120 and 140 mm fans from CoolerMaster, even a CPU fan, the Master Air G100M RGB. Can use the Corsair ones somewhere else...

Menthol
Level 14
The LL fans are Corsair not Lian Li.

Damn Justin, a person could be hypnotized by those lights