cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VG279Q has flickering or horizontal lines.

sdbmania
Level 7
Hello everyone!

Recently my ASUS VG278HE broke and I had it replaced, through warranty, with a VG279Q. I'm happy with the monitor so far, but I have noticed that if I have the refresh rate of the monitor set to lower than 100hz there are sporadic horizontal lines that blend in with the images on the monitor. If I leave it at 100 or more hrz I don't notice the lines as much, the screen still flickers but it's rare. At 1080p 144hz it almost never does it, but it is still noticeable. It's setup as my second monitor right now. I've tried different cables, switching from the display port to the DVI. I have my apple tv plugged into the HDMI and it also has the lines too. I've tried reinstalling my graphics card, I have a nVidia 1060, but I'm afraid the monitor is faulty.

Before I try to get another RMA, I wanted to see if there was anything I am missing. I use a surge protector and tried plugging directly into the wall but that didn't work. Is there anything else I could try like changing a setting? I turned off free-sync, but that also didn't work, so I'm not sure what else I could try. Could there be some kind of interference or something? I appreciate your time and I hope you all are having a wonderful day!
11 REPLIES 11

sdbmania
Level 7
So just giving a new update real quick to my situation. I was in contact with customer support and I have a new RMA for the monitor. I'll be sending it back to have them repair it. It's a shame, but at least it should get fixed and I'll have it back in a week or so. I figured it was a hardware problem, but I was hoping it was something else. At least this happened now at the start of the monitor's warranty. I really like the features of this product and I will be excited to have it back. 🙂

writer21
Level 7
So this is a hardware issue. I think I'm having the same issue. At first I thought it was the drivers, but this also happened with my xbox one with HDMI. It's a shame cause this monitor is pretty good when it works. Also was ELMB bad for you as well? So much ghosting when I use that mode.

I do find that sometimes it looks like the issue goes away, but then it comes back. I have been using it mostly as a second monitor, so maybe I'm just not always noticing it. I agree, it's a shame as I really like the monitor over all. I haven't tried ELMB mode yet but I will before I send it in for repairs to see if I see a lot of ghosting.

writer21
Level 7
Same here man. Oddly enough I rarely see it while playing games. It happens on xbox one and on my desktop. Load up a game they rarely happen.

I'm still in the return window so it's good to know if this is just a few bad ones. I tried freesync with Resident Evil one shot demo on xbox and the game runs smooth as hell.

Yeah I notice some ghosting when using ELMB. Took me a bit of time to figure out how to enable it lol. I do like the adaptive sync and I'm happy that it works with G-sync now, seems to work well. It is weird that the highest refresh rate seems to make it happen much less, but it is still noticeable on occasion. I'm glad I have a warranty for this.

writer21
Level 7
Thanks for confirming ELMB mode does have a lot of ghosting.

I went ahead and tried the displayport cable that was used for my XB271HU and now only have this monitor connected and a lot of the artifacts I was seeing disappeared from desktop. Occasionally I might see flickering but maybe this is freesync? Also used the HDMI cable that came with the monitor instead of the Xbox One Hdmi cable and the artifacts also happen a lot less frequently.

Maybe this might help you if you havent tried it yet. Maybe these monitors don't play nice with 2 monitors connected.

I shipped the monitor to ASUS. The lines sometimes go away after the monitor has been on for a while but they come back when its been off. I think there's something wrong with the hardware. I'll see what happens when they examine it.

writer21
Level 7
Let us know how this goes. I also sent my monitor back for refund and I am going to wait maybe for 240hz ips 1080p version.

At first ASUS e-mailed me saying they needed to swap it out for another model, but then a few days later I got an e-mail saying they fixed it and are sending it back to me. So I expect to get my repaired monitor on Monday or Tuesday. I was happy to hear that. I hope they really did fix the problem 🙂