cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the g750 JS GPU cooked

Pivotas
Level 7
While gaming the g750 JS keyboard got hot, one fan had stopped blowing, Speedfan showed core temps in high 40's low 50's, laptop suddenly shut down. Opened it up and dusted it out, the one fan would not free spin. Planned to replace the fans and re-paste but I now get this within a few seconds of starting the laptop. Pulled it apart again and the screen connections are solid so now wondering if the GPU is cooked.
4 REPLIES 4

navis995
Level 11
First connect to secondary display and see if you get a picture there and if your GPU is recognized. Because if your GPU was cooked it should not show up in device manager and if it doesn't show then your PC will use intel HD graphics and those won't glitch because then your CPU would be damaged as well and you wouldn't even be able to get here.
I suspect its the cable that got destroyed or the connection on the motherboard.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

Pivotas
Level 7
Was able to bring the fan back to life by giving it a power wash with a dental waterpik filled with isopropyl and flushing out quite a bit of crude from the fan's hub. It is a bit noisy but it does change speed as heat builds... but the screen problems persist. The g750js will variously lockup on the welcome screen or a short time after login. Have two attached monitors which display as normal until the screen crash. When it locks up the verticle block pattern shown above is also seen on a secondary monitors. In safe mode the problem has yet to occur... so maybe corrupt video drivers? I've removed anti-virus software in case of conflicts and will start backing out updates. There are weekly restore points going back several months but any restore attempt always fails to complete. Ran SFC/scannow and the Win 10 system files check out. Suggestions are welcome. I've pulled screens apart in the past and will do that when all else fails but following navis995 comments the problem is not likely connections to the laptop screen itself as the other monitors are also effected. So driver corruption seem the best path to follow at the moment.

Spent time cycling thru different drivers for the Intel 4600. Apparently there is a history of conflict with the Intel drivers for this chipset and Win10. Microsoft in cooperation with Intel is pushing out their own version of drivers for later version Intel chips and these are coming to you in the regular Win force feeds. Driver ver. 5058 has brought stability to the laptop and with the two external monitors cables were swapped out and after running one of the monitors on Thunderbolt instead of HDMI, the problems havn't returned. So it may have been cable issues all along... but in the process I did discover an Isopropyl / waterpick power wash trick to rejuvenate a dead fan.

xeromist
Did you ever repaste? Might be worth looking at your temps because even if the dead fan was part of it you might still be running hot.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…