cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z390 Gaming-E Dram Overclock and boot failure

doom_man
Level 7
Hello all,
I've just bought mentioned board and I have 9700k Cpu alongside with G-Skill F4-4000C18D-16GTZ model memory.
First thing I did was updating the bios to the latest via internet which is 802 version. (later I found out that, it is still beta)
And I enabled XMP profile with everything auto. Failed to boot, safe boot initiated.
I started to adding more volts to Dram all the way up to 1.45, and CPU VCCIO to 1.3 and SYSTEM AGENT VOLTAGE to 1.2 which are indicated as PINK color.
Still no luck, no boot.
I read some forum threads found out that last 2 bios versions were instable. Thus I uploaded the bios v602.
Did all this again without success. Then I gave up the 4000mhz and searched the maximum Dram overclock.
I ended up with 3200 mhz 14,14,14,34 1.3V. Anything above wont boot whatsoever.
At this point 3200 booted into windows but not stable.
I wonder at which point I'm doing wrong. Is it me or board is defected.
I think this board is supposed to give advertised speeds without much tweak.
Can anyone help me? Should I return the board or try anything else.
Much love. Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

x-rated
Level 8
did you try same values for IO and SA voltages? like 1,3V for both
from what i see for some reason this kit is listed only on g.skill qvl, but not that one from asus released in january 😞

As an owner of this board, try using the 0602 Bios, the 0702 and 0802 bios hates my GSkill 4266 CL19 kit (running at 3900 16-16-16-37).

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
As an owner of this board, try using the 0602 Bios, the 0702 and 0802 bios hates my GSkill 4266 CL19 kit (running at 3900 16-16-16-37).

After reading your topic I assume, I did flash the 0602 bios. No luck again...

doom_man wrote:
After reading your topic I assume, I did flash the 0602 bios. No luck again...

If your ram on the QVL? Mine is listed in the manual/PDF, but doesn't match G.Skills. I ended up stable with the 0602 Bios running 1.28v VCCSA and 1.23 VCCIO (as reported, not set in bios) running 1.4v. I suspect there's some learning in there for timings, but I'm not 100% sure. My machine hated the 4266Mhz set on XMP I or II, so all of my settings are manual.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
If your ram on the QVL? Mine is listed in the manual/PDF, but doesn't match G.Skills. I ended up stable with the 0602 Bios running 1.28v VCCSA and 1.23 VCCIO (as reported, not set in bios) running 1.4v. I suspect there's some learning in there for timings, but I'm not 100% sure. My machine hated the 4266Mhz set on XMP I or II, so all of my settings are manual.

Are they (vccsa and vccio volts) set to auto or have you manually set them? My 4000mhz ram settings should be close to yours if not identical. Can you please tell ?

doom_man wrote:
Are they (vccsa and vccio volts) set to auto or have you manually set them? My 4000mhz ram settings should be close to yours if not identical. Can you please tell ?

I set everything manually. In bios with LLC set to 6, VCCIO was 1.2v, and VCCSA is 1.2625v to get the 1.23v and 1.28v respectively, as shown by the BIOS and HWINFO.

x-rated wrote:
did you try same values for IO and SA voltages? like 1,3V for both
from what i see for some reason this kit is listed only on g.skill qvl, but not that one from asus released in january 😞

I honestly think SA voltage for 1.3v might be too much, thus I didn't. That ram is listed for Samsung B-die. I must do, however I tried another ram, which is F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW. Same results apply...