cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X code - headphone amp info?

Guitarmageddon1
Level 9
So Im curious to how many ohms the MXCode can push? In looking at other boards with the same DAC (ES9023P) like the maximus 8, it mentions headphone AMP specs on the product page, with the same dac. The maximus x code page lists the DAC, but no specifics regarding headphone impedance or any type of headphone amp. Im wondering if this board can push sennheiser HD600s, at 300 ohms. Getting a separate amp/dac eventually but Ill put it off longer if this board can do it decently for a while.

I have also read there being a difference between the rear input and the front jack, and that the front jack may push higher impedance headphones with this particular DAC. Or am I misunderstanding ? Thanks all.

edit: it looks like RC4580 headphone amp?
5 REPLIES 5

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

If ASUS does not specify it with the latest models of motherboards, it's because when you plug your headset, the motherboard will automatically detect the impedance that can support your headset and configure it accordingly.

dingo99
Level 10
Guitarmageddon888 wrote:
Im wondering if this board can push sennheiser HD600s, at 300 ohms. Getting a separate amp/dac eventually but Ill put it off longer if this board can do it decently for a while.

I have also read there being a difference between the rear input and the front jack, and that the front jack may push higher impedance headphones with this particular DAC. Or am I misunderstanding ? Thanks all.

edit: it looks like RC4580 headphone amp?

Don't put off the separate amp/dac. I have the XI Formula, which has the same audio setup as your X Code. I also have Sennheiser HD580, which have the same impedance as your HD600.

The onboard amp can drive your headphones, but you won't be getting optimal sound quality. To me, the ES9023P+RC4580 sounds noticeably veiled, slightly-above average at best. A good amp/dac or add-in sound card will let you hear what your headphones are capable of. Even my old VI Formula motherboard sounds much better than my XI Formula.

To answer your other question: Yes, the rear and front jacks are wired differently. Front gets the ES9023P+RC4580, while rear gets the built-in dac/amp of the Realtek sound chip.

dingo99 wrote:
Don't put off the separate amp/dac. I have the XI Formula, which has the same audio setup as your X Code. I also have Sennheiser HD580, which have the same impedance as your HD600.

The onboard amp can drive your headphones, but you won't be getting optimal sound quality. To me, the ES9023P+RC4580 sounds noticeably veiled, slightly-above average at best. A good amp/dac or add-in sound card will let you hear what your headphones are capable of. Even my old VI Formula motherboard sounds much better than my XI Formula.

To answer your other question: Yes, the rear and front jacks are wired differently. Front gets the ES9023P+RC4580, while rear gets the built-in dac/amp of the Realtek sound chip.

okay thanks for the input. So it sounds like the front Jack will be the best option I have with the current setup available? I have an old sound blaster "recon3d fatality "that I've been putting off installing just for the simple fact that driver support stopped four years ago I believe. just didn't feel like dealing with any possible driver glitches even though they very well may not be any I just haven't tried yet.

seem worth dusting this thing off? It appears there is a windows 10 driver download, but who knows if it supports the current build since it was last released in 2015....
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102042

dingo99
Level 10
Hmm... not sure about that. I remember seeing mixed reviews about the Recon3D-series sound quality. Creative fixed it in their next generation cards (Z-series), which were essentially the same cards but with a separate DAC instead of the one built into the Core3D chip. So, in that case, it's possible the X Code onboard sound might be better(?)