cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G703 SSD Making HDD Noise

Aurora
Level 7
Hello,

I have installed Samsung 860 SSD to Asus G703, its making noise like HDD. You can listen it on video i linked on youtube, video is not mine but the sound is similar. I know ssd is fine, because it didint make any noise on my previous laptop. Is there any fix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-BHI667po
6 REPLIES 6

jdfrench3
Level 12
You know the SSD has no moving parts, don't you?

Hey, you ever fix your Aura key?
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
You know the SSD has no moving parts, don't you?

Hey, you ever fix your Aura key?

Yeah I finally fixed it today Aura key with bunch of re-install to previous builds 🙂 There are 2 Aura softwares; Rog Aura and Rog Aure Core. Turns out G703 does not support Rog Aura core.

People keep saying ssds wont make sound as there is no moving parts on most of the forums, yet there are loads of topics about it. I think it might be coil whine, what to do about it?

navis995
Level 11
Well my mind was just blown. How can a SSD make noise when there is nothing that could produce it? I have Evo 840 250GB for some years now and have baked about 30TB on it and I also have 850 500GB with about 25TB and they both make no noise at all and never gave me any problems.

I would assume the noise making SSD's are an anomaly and not something that normally occurs. Same as with Coil whinning on some GPU's.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

JustinThyme
Level 13
Ive lost my hearing because I just cranked the volume and heard nothing.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Ive lost my hearing because I just cranked the volume and heard nothing.

If the noise you are hearing upon installation of the m.2 is a high pitched frequency, almost like the old dial up tones... then its the embedded controller causing current fluctuation when powering the m.2 drive.

its actual current you can hear there, not the drive itself.

dependant on db level and whether it impacts the working capability of the unit, ASUS may not deem it as a fault. especially if the issue wasnt present prior to insertion of the m.2. drive. they may ask you to try another m.2 prior to accepting an RMA.

strixguy1
Level 8
Aurora wrote:
Hello,

I have installed Samsung 860 SSD to Asus G703, its making noise like HDD. You can listen it on video i linked on youtube, video is not mine but the sound is similar. I know ssd is fine, because it didint make any noise on my previous laptop. Is there any fix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-BHI667po

If the noise you are hearing upon installation of the m.2 is a high pitched frequency, almost like the old dial up tones... then its the embedded controller causing current fluctuation when powering the m.2 drive.

its actual current you can hear there, not the drive itself.

dependant on db level and whether it impacts the working capability of the unit, ASUS may not deem it as a fault. especially if the issue wasnt present prior to insertion of the m.2. drive. they may ask you to try another m.2 prior to accepting an RMA.