Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52
  1. #31
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    54

    Quote Originally Posted by djmarks View Post
    lol think i will mate! Just ran p95 to test avx and my cpu temp hit 100c in secs but I've configured corsair link to shut pc down if temps exceed 95c lol. So p95 test is out for me

    Atm everything works nice and smooth so I'll leave as is
    Do you have AVX Offset set in your BIOS? You should use that to reduce your clock speed on AVX so you have normal temperature. Your CPU temperatures will hit 100C when you load a new generation game like Anthem. I don't think that is something that you want.

  2. #32
    ROG Enthusiast Array djmarks PC Specs
    djmarks PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)PC Specialist Optimus i7 6700HQ
    MotherboardRog Maximus XI Hero
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MHz PC4-25600 16-18-18-36
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX GTX1070TI A8G GAMING
    MonitorROG Strix XG32VQ
    Storage #1WD 500GB Black NVMe M.2
    Storage #2SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 & ST2000DM001
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB
    CaseThermaltake Suppressor F31
    Power SupplyAntec HCG 750 Watt 80+ Bronze
    Keyboard Element Gaming
    Mouse Roccat Tyon
    Headset Element Gaming PC Headset
    Mouse Pad Akasa Venom XL mat
    Headset/Speakers Otone Soundbar
    OS Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Network RouterCrappy EE router - not even fibre 8-(
    Accessory #1 Razer Tartarus v2
    Accessory #2 Coffee.... lots and lots of coffee!

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipt View Post
    Do you have AVX Offset set in your BIOS? You should use that to reduce your clock speed on AVX so you have normal temperature. Your CPU temperatures will hit 100C when you load a new generation game like Anthem. I don't think that is something that you want.
    Hi Eclipt.
    Nope - no AVX offset set atm. What setting you recommend?

    Edit - scratch that above.... I've re-read your previous post about the avx offset and am trying it out! Cheers

    Edit #2 - dropped it down to avx offset 3 as on 2 it was still hitting mid-90's. Now it's mid-80's @ offset 3 but I may drop it down another notch.

    Thanks so much Eclipt! You're a frickin' STAR!!!
    Last edited by djmarks; 01-31-2019 at 09:30 PM.

  3. #33
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array x-rated PC Specs
    x-rated PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus XI Formula - Intel Z390
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-9900K @ 5 GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C16D-16GTZR - 4x 8 GB, 4 GHz, 18-18-18-38
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE - 2,1/15,6 GHz
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
    MonitorDell UP2715K - 5120x2880, AH-IPS, 10bit
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro - 1 TB, 3,5/2,1 GB/s
    Storage #2WD Red WD40EFRX - 4 TB, 64 MB, 5400 RPM
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 Blackout TG
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000i - 1 KW, 83 A, 80Plus Platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum
    Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy Wired
    Headset Sennheiser HD 660 S
    Mouse Pad Razer Manticor
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterHuawei HG8245H @ 1 Gb/s FTTH GPON
    Accessory #1 EKWB Velocity + Vector
    Accessory #2 EKWB XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM + 2x CoolStream XE 360
    Accessory #3 6x Noiseblocker NB-eLoop Fan B12-PS
    x-rated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    203

    by reducing avx multiplier you are losing the most important part of such great cpu instead improve your cooling and for stress tests increase temperature limit to 115°C

  4. #34
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    54

    Quote Originally Posted by x-rated View Post
    by reducing avx multiplier you are losing the most important part of such great cpu instead improve your cooling and for stress tests increase temperature limit to 115°C
    From all the Intel 9th generation overclocking guides and reviews that I have read, everyone drops the AVX down as it is taxing enough even at stock speed. And that is why there is an offset switch in the BIOS. I haven't seen anyone running AVX at over 5GHz, this should be monstrous heat in my oppinion as the testing was confirmed in this thread already. So far, other experiences that I see drop AVX down to at least 4.8GHz (-2 offset for 5GHz overclock). My personal case is -2 (from 4.9GHz) for AVX on a 9700k, which is already above stock with meh H110 cooling, but I lost the lottery

    I am sorry, but I do not really understand the 115C remark, maybe you could link some references? From what I know and based on Intel temperature guides at i.e. Tom's Hardware Intel Temperature Guide, 100C should already introduce on chip throttling and going over 90C really hurts longevity. The new chips can withstand heat, but 90C is already too hot for them in real world. As far as temps and stability, I really recommend trying the Anthem open demo, which is available this weekend and it will give a great benchmark for AVX and real world usage temps. In my experience, loading screens in Anthem used AVX clocks and temps for me.

  5. #35
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array x-rated PC Specs
    x-rated PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus XI Formula - Intel Z390
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-9900K @ 5 GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C16D-16GTZR - 4x 8 GB, 4 GHz, 18-18-18-38
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE - 2,1/15,6 GHz
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
    MonitorDell UP2715K - 5120x2880, AH-IPS, 10bit
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro - 1 TB, 3,5/2,1 GB/s
    Storage #2WD Red WD40EFRX - 4 TB, 64 MB, 5400 RPM
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 Blackout TG
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000i - 1 KW, 83 A, 80Plus Platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum
    Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy Wired
    Headset Sennheiser HD 660 S
    Mouse Pad Razer Manticor
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterHuawei HG8245H @ 1 Gb/s FTTH GPON
    Accessory #1 EKWB Velocity + Vector
    Accessory #2 EKWB XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM + 2x CoolStream XE 360
    Accessory #3 6x Noiseblocker NB-eLoop Fan B12-PS
    x-rated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    203

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipt View Post
    I am sorry, but I do not really understand the 115C remark, maybe you could link some references? From what I know and based on Intel temperature guides at i.e. Tom's Hardware Intel Temperature Guide, 100C should already introduce on chip throttling and going over 90C really hurts longevity.
    it can be adjusted in bios in advanced tab -> cpu configuration
    this is useful when doing stress testing and temperature often spikes above 100°C barrier to prevent throttling, in standard workloads even in heaviest ones it is not usually needed

  6. #36
    ROG Enthusiast Array djmarks PC Specs
    djmarks PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)PC Specialist Optimus i7 6700HQ
    MotherboardRog Maximus XI Hero
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MHz PC4-25600 16-18-18-36
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX GTX1070TI A8G GAMING
    MonitorROG Strix XG32VQ
    Storage #1WD 500GB Black NVMe M.2
    Storage #2SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 & ST2000DM001
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB
    CaseThermaltake Suppressor F31
    Power SupplyAntec HCG 750 Watt 80+ Bronze
    Keyboard Element Gaming
    Mouse Roccat Tyon
    Headset Element Gaming PC Headset
    Mouse Pad Akasa Venom XL mat
    Headset/Speakers Otone Soundbar
    OS Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Network RouterCrappy EE router - not even fibre 8-(
    Accessory #1 Razer Tartarus v2
    Accessory #2 Coffee.... lots and lots of coffee!

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    37

    Improving cooling is in progress. I'm getting another 3 corsair ML120mm fans to sit on other side of h150i pro radiator to do push/pull with intake from top of pc instead off exhausting out top. I'm just wondering if it's better to just use a y-splitter to join/sync fans together or use commander pro to connect the 3 extra tax fans as well as the front 2xML140mm intake fans and the ML140mm exhaust fan at the back. I want to use rgb version of the ml fans so not sure if the cpu pump can pass rgb info from fans to corsair link or will I need the commander pro.

    After coolings sorted, I'll re-look at the avx setting

  7. #37
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array rjbarker PC Specs
    rjbarker PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XI Extreme (BIOS 0605)
    Processor9900K @ 5.1 Ghz w EK Velocity
    Memory (part number)32 GB -Dominator Platinum 3200 Mhz CAS 16
    Graphics Card #1Evga 1080Ti SC Black Edition w EK FC Blocks
    Graphics Card #2Evga 1080Ti SC Black Edition w EK FC Blocks
    Sound CardOnboard Realtek
    MonitorDell Alienware 34" Ultra wide 120Hz Gsync
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro 512G M.2 NNMe
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 512G & 256G
    CPU CoolerEK Supremacy Copper w Nickel Plating
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1600i
    OS W10 HP x64
    Accessory #1 480 * 360 * 240 XSPC Radiators (15 Fans) w 4 Channel 200W Fan Controller
    Accessory #2 XSPC Photon Rez / Vario Pump combo
    Accessory #3 Fesser Flex Tubing - Bits Power Fittings & EK SLi Terminal
    rjbarker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Reputation
    16
    Posts
    290

    Quote Originally Posted by djmarks View Post
    Improving cooling is in progress. I'm getting another 3 corsair ML120mm fans to sit on other side of h150i pro radiator to do push/pull with intake from top of pc instead off exhausting out top. I'm just wondering if it's better to just use a y-splitter to join/sync fans together or use commander pro to connect the 3 extra tax fans as well as the front 2xML140mm intake fans and the ML140mm exhaust fan at the back. I want to use rgb version of the ml fans so not sure if the cpu pump can pass rgb info from fans to corsair link or will I need the commander pro.

    After coolings sorted, I'll re-look at the avx setting
    Set your AVX offset as you mentioned....offset -2.....theres no reason at all to run your CPU at greater than 95c temps during stress test.....when your CPU is closing in on 100c that should be a "flag" to back off....

  8. #38
    ROG Enthusiast Array djmarks PC Specs
    djmarks PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)PC Specialist Optimus i7 6700HQ
    MotherboardRog Maximus XI Hero
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MHz PC4-25600 16-18-18-36
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX GTX1070TI A8G GAMING
    MonitorROG Strix XG32VQ
    Storage #1WD 500GB Black NVMe M.2
    Storage #2SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 & ST2000DM001
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB
    CaseThermaltake Suppressor F31
    Power SupplyAntec HCG 750 Watt 80+ Bronze
    Keyboard Element Gaming
    Mouse Roccat Tyon
    Headset Element Gaming PC Headset
    Mouse Pad Akasa Venom XL mat
    Headset/Speakers Otone Soundbar
    OS Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Network RouterCrappy EE router - not even fibre 8-(
    Accessory #1 Razer Tartarus v2
    Accessory #2 Coffee.... lots and lots of coffee!

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
    Set your AVX offset as you mentioned....offset -2.....theres no reason at all to run your CPU at greater than 95c temps during stress test.....when your CPU is closing in on 100c that should be a "flag" to back off....
    Thanks rj. I've had to leave my avx offset at -4 (4.6ghz) as even on -3 it was heading to the high 80's. I'm in the process of re-configuring my h160i pro radiator to a 6 fan push/pull setup, drawing cool air in from top, so hopefully that will help with temps and I can decrease the offset then.

  9. #39
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array rjbarker PC Specs
    rjbarker PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XI Extreme (BIOS 0605)
    Processor9900K @ 5.1 Ghz w EK Velocity
    Memory (part number)32 GB -Dominator Platinum 3200 Mhz CAS 16
    Graphics Card #1Evga 1080Ti SC Black Edition w EK FC Blocks
    Graphics Card #2Evga 1080Ti SC Black Edition w EK FC Blocks
    Sound CardOnboard Realtek
    MonitorDell Alienware 34" Ultra wide 120Hz Gsync
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro 512G M.2 NNMe
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 512G & 256G
    CPU CoolerEK Supremacy Copper w Nickel Plating
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1600i
    OS W10 HP x64
    Accessory #1 480 * 360 * 240 XSPC Radiators (15 Fans) w 4 Channel 200W Fan Controller
    Accessory #2 XSPC Photon Rez / Vario Pump combo
    Accessory #3 Fesser Flex Tubing - Bits Power Fittings & EK SLi Terminal
    rjbarker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Reputation
    16
    Posts
    290

    No worries...I wouldnt get to hung up on Stress Tresting with AVX instructions......the heat simply isnt worth it...although some games do use AVX .....Im pretty sure Wildlands does (as with AVX offset set to -2 my Cores frop 200 Mhz playing).....but the CPU still wont load up like a Stress Test with AVX instructions will.....sitting there watching your CPU at 100% all threads with temps in the upper 90's is silly....and not necessary....... I have a pretty decent Custon Loop and my personal thermal cut off is upper 80's while stress testing....
    ..my upper max vcore is 1.385v......if I cant reach my OC within those parameters I dial back and retry

  10. #40
    ROG Enthusiast Array djmarks PC Specs
    djmarks PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)PC Specialist Optimus i7 6700HQ
    MotherboardRog Maximus XI Hero
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MHz PC4-25600 16-18-18-36
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX GTX1070TI A8G GAMING
    MonitorROG Strix XG32VQ
    Storage #1WD 500GB Black NVMe M.2
    Storage #2SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 & ST2000DM001
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB
    CaseThermaltake Suppressor F31
    Power SupplyAntec HCG 750 Watt 80+ Bronze
    Keyboard Element Gaming
    Mouse Roccat Tyon
    Headset Element Gaming PC Headset
    Mouse Pad Akasa Venom XL mat
    Headset/Speakers Otone Soundbar
    OS Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Network RouterCrappy EE router - not even fibre 8-(
    Accessory #1 Razer Tartarus v2
    Accessory #2 Coffee.... lots and lots of coffee!

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
    No worries...I wouldnt get to hung up on Stress Tresting with AVX instructions......the heat simply isnt worth it...although some games do use AVX .....Im pretty sure Wildlands does (as with AVX offset set to -2 my Cores frop 200 Mhz playing).....but the CPU still wont load up like a Stress Test with AVX instructions will.....sitting there watching your CPU at 100% all threads with temps in the upper 90's is silly....and not necessary....... I have a pretty decent Custon Loop and my personal thermal cut off is upper 80's while stress testing....
    ..my upper max vcore is 1.385v......if I cant reach my OC within those parameters I dial back and retry
    Thanks rj! I've put my avx offset back to -2 and not going to bother with p95 tests. Ran XTU stress test again overnight and no problems in a 6 hour test.

    I see you've the dominator platinum memory modules!? I'm considering buying a set of them. Are you oc'ing yours or just stock speed? And mind if I ask why you chose them over vengeance or other modules?

    Cheers again for your advice!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •