cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODE 9C Load VGA BIOS on Zenith Extreme

RoadKillerGR
Level 7
Hello everyone! So about a week ago I built myself a new system with a Threadripper 2950X, Zenith Extreme, Sapphire VEGA 64 in 2 Way CrossFireX, Corsair AX1600i and 64GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO in Quad Channel. Along with the build I got new peripherals aswell, all of them HyperX and everything seem to be going smoothly up until about 3 days ago where I tried to launch the system and it wouldn't boot. The OLED screen was showing me "CODE 9C Load VGA BIOS" and after about 3 seconds it would give me a post error code and that a keyboard nor a mouse wasn't detected. I tried pretty much everything to fix the problem apart from taking out the CPU and reseating it. After I did some digging on forum, a lot of people suggested that 9C is a USB detection code. So I decided to unplug my shiny new peripherals and plug in my older ones... And surprise surprise, everything worked fine. After a bit more troubleshooting by trying to use my new peripherals on my previous system I came to the conclusion that the keyboard was working fine and that for what ever reason the mouse was being picky and wasn't working. After that my initial thoughts were that the mouse was faulty and that I needed to replace it. However! Next day I decided to have a last go at trying to use my new mouse and somehow it got itself working. Admittedly, I did perform a fresh install of Windows the night before when the mouse still wasn't working, but still, the new mouse wasn't working even after I performed the fresh install of Windows and somehow it managed to fix itself after changing days?!? Obviously I did install the latest chipset drivers and have the latest BIOS on the motherboard but it still it didn't make sense to me, but, since the new mouse was working I decided to ignore it and to continue using my PC. There was to be another plot-twist however... about an hour ago, again, I tried to launch the system and the same error spitted out itself on the OLED Screen... "CODE 9C Load VGA BIOS". The good thing this time around is that I at least had an idea of how to counteract the issue to at least get myself into Windows to do a bit more research and well, here I am writing this post to try and find a solution. My question to you is, have you noticed any similar behavior with your Asus motherboards and if so, was it a HyperX component that was causing the issue or if BIOS 1601 introduced these issues. Obviously when I initially discovered the problem I did clear the CMOS in case you were wondering. Sorry for the long and complex post but it's not an easy issue to explain.

*UPDATE*
The mouse is working again. Exactly the same behavior as last time. I use my old mouse for a few hours then I shut the system down, reconnect the new one and it works fine... This is hella confusing.
1 REPLY 1

Retired
Not applicable
I don't know about these oled panel code's at all although I do know now, that code A2 on Zenith Extreme is missing display output!
So basically, the old mouse works and the new mouse is malfunctioning? Try this. Connect the new mouse to the first USB 3.1 Gen 1 port 5, which is the first slot on the back panel. Connect your keyboard to port 6. As to my experience, a long time ago, while I was setting up computer with an Asus motherboard, the booklet mentioned always connect the mouse and keyboard to the first two USB slot's. The remaining slot's could be for anything else 🙂 I don't think their theory changed throughout the years however I could be mistaken.