cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Duration Package Power Limit is safe? Or keep FULL PERFORMANCE in Windows?

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Hi.
My mobo Asus Prime Z390-A, and 9900K.

3dmark graphic test 2 was throttling my cpu speed. I made a HIGH PERFORMANCE from BALANCED plan in windows settins and fps are normal and no drops and full boost. Any ideas? So keep high performance plan in Windows?

Or just Long Duration Package Power Limit change in uefi from 95W to 155W? What is better?

ps:
MultiCoreEnhacement is OFF in UEFI. AUTO is bugged.

So actually yes. MCE is OFF,Power PLan on HIGH PERFORMANCE and 4,7ghz is always on stress. All other default in UEFI.
15 REPLIES 15

Guitarmageddon1
Level 9
lpiotrowski211 wrote:
Hi.
My mobo Asus Prime Z390-A, and 9900K.

3dmark graphic test 2 was throttling my cpu speed. I made a HIGH PERFORMANCE from BALANCED plan in windows settins and fps are normal and no drops and full boost. Any ideas? So keep high performance plan in Windows?

Or just Long Duration Package Power Limit change in uefi from 95W to 155W? What is better?

ps:
MultiCoreEnhacement is OFF in UEFI. AUTO is bugged.

So actually yes. MCE is OFF,Power PLan on HIGH PERFORMANCE and 4,7ghz is always on stress. All other default in UEFI.

What I have done on the 8709k and I believe you need to do as well is just max out the short and long duration limits. I think you can just type a huge number in there and it finds the max it allows. Can't remember what it was. That should fix it

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Also high performance is ok too?:)

x-rated
Level 8
high performance power plan in windows is good for benchmarking only, no need to maxing out everything while browsing websites 🙂

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
I enter: SHORT DURATION POWER LIMIT : 155, LONG DURATION POWER LIMIT: 155 and nothing helped. On low res cpu is not raising fps. There is only Package Power Time Window on AUTO. So what i must to enter?

JustinThyme
Level 13
155 is a very low number. To max it out type in 4095. Only do so if you have active VRM cooling though.
Its not a percentage.
Like XRated said performanace power plan is only good for benches. Ater return to balanced or a modified balanced. I modify the balanced to suit my needs like monitor sleep to never no hibernate, no sleep, no turn off drives etc as when Im done with my rig, I shut it down.

This reduces heat and wear on components.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
SHORT DURATION POWER LIMIT : 155, LONG DURATION POWER LIMIT: 155 Package Power Time Window on 155 too? Or left auto?

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Hi.

My cpu 9900K and mobo Asus Z390-A

What i must to enter here:

I enter: SHORT DURATION POWER LIMIT : 155, LONG DURATION POWER LIMIT: 155 and nothing helped. On low res cpu is not raising fps. There is only Package Power Time Window on AUTO. So what i must to enter?

According to :

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004AV6GGSA1/how-can-i-set-up-a-95w-tdp-limit-for-my-cpu-i...

Hi,

I already solved it, I write the soultion here just in case someone else has the same problem: I used the PL1=95W, Tau: 10s, PL2=120W they used in the techspot article I linked. With my Asus BIOS PL1 is called "Package Power TIme Window", Tau is called "Long Duration Package Power Limit" and PL2 is called "Short Duration Package Power Limit". Temps are between 70-75C in CPU heavy titles like Battlefield V, while turbo boost is working as intended.

So to LONG DURATION 10 enter ?!

?

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
bump

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Cinebench first run is always 2050 points, then next 1940 and third 1850. Then i wait some minute run again and is 2050 points agian. Its not temps issu.

But.

i enabled MCE and scores are 2150 consistent
kepping MCE ON when my scores are higher and not fluctuating its not bad etc?