Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Rampage IV Extreme USB 3.0 Issue

BlueSkyHi
Level 8
Hi,

I am still using my ROG Rampage IV Extreme and am "extremely" happy with it 🙂

I have come across an issue that I am unable to resolve on my own. The I/O connector at the back of the mother board has four USB 3.0 connectors labeled as 1 through 4. USB 3.0 connectors 1 & 2 work fine. I am having issues with connectors 3 & 4. When I connect any USB device to either USB 3 or 4 nothing is detected by the OS (Windows 10). The connectors are "alive" in that, if I put a thumb drive into either 3 or 4, the drive indicator light turns on but, still, the devices are not detected.

I have looked through the bios setup screens and all ports are enabled except for USB 13 which says the bios says is not in use.

Any idea why USB 3.0 #3 and #4 are not working or otherwise inactive? Could plugging in USB connectors to other motherboard connectors have disabled these two connectors?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Joe
7 REPLIES 7

vennacher
Level 7
A couple things to check. Unplug all your USB devices. First, in your BIOS make sure all 3 USB3.0 hubs are enabled. The first two each power 2 of your external USB3 ports and the third powers the internal USB3 port. Reboot.

Second, open device manager and for view select "hidden devices" . Open USB serial bus controller and storage volumes sections. You'll likely see some entries with a solid icon and others with a shadowed icon. Delete all the shadowed icons. Next under the serial bus controller section delete all ASMedia USB3.0 extensible host controller entries and USB Root HUB (USB 3.0) entries that have a solid icon. Reboot.

Upon rebooting windows will detect the USB ports you delete and reinstall the driver.
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07

vennacher wrote:
A couple things to check. Unplug all your USB devices. First, in your BIOS make sure all 3 USB3.0 hubs are enabled. The first two each power 2 of your external USB3 ports and the third powers the internal USB3 port. Reboot.

Second, open device manager and for view select "hidden devices" . Open USB serial bus controller and storage volumes sections. You'll likely see some entries with a solid icon and others with a shadowed icon. Delete all the shadowed icons. Next under the serial bus controller section delete all ASMedia USB3.0 extensible host controller entries and USB Root HUB (USB 3.0) entries that have a solid icon. Reboot.

Upon rebooting windows will detect the USB ports you delete and reinstall the driver.

Thanks for the thoughts. I will give that a try later on in the evening and let you know what I find.

Best Regards!

I know this is a very, VERY old thread but I was never able to resolve the issue with USB3.0 ports 3&4 not working. Both controllers are enabled in bios and there's not much else I can think of. In device manager I have three (3) instances of ASMedia USB Root Hub, three (3) instances of ASMedia USB3.0 eXensible Host Controller,, the two (2) Intel C600/X79 USB2 Enhanced Host Controllers, etc., etc. all apparently working properly.

I guess it's just possible that the hardware driving those two ports is bad.

Hi I have the same problem, if someone has succeded in resolving this issue please send me a MP I will receive a notif. Thanks a lot
Maximus z690 Hero, i5 13600k, GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, 2x16 Kingston FuryBeast DDR5 6000Mhz CL36, NVme Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Hello,

Does device manager show anything abnormal?

Hi Nate,
Thanks for your answer
Here is my original post that could make you understand better the situation -> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-attached-scsi-uas-mass-sto...

YOu can read only my first message with the images which show that the hardware device is considered as not plugged when I reboot or go to sleep mode and awake the sytem...

Since then I did sme changes in the bios but it did not solve my problem ( I activated the ErP ready and the ASMedia 3.0 battery charging->

Maximus z690 Hero, i5 13600k, GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, 2x16 Kingston FuryBeast DDR5 6000Mhz CL36, NVme Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb

Nobody here for helping ? 😞