ROG Member Array

ROG Rampage IV Extreme USB 3.0 Issue

Hi,

I am still using my ROG Rampage IV Extreme and am "extremely" happy with it

I have come across an issue that I am unable to resolve on my own. The I/O connector at the back of the mother board has four USB 3.0 connectors labeled as 1 through 4. USB 3.0 connectors 1 & 2 work fine. I am having issues with connectors 3 & 4. When I connect any USB device to either USB 3 or 4 nothing is detected by the OS (Windows 10). The connectors are "alive" in that, if I put a thumb drive into either 3 or 4, the drive indicator light turns on but, still, the devices are not detected.

I have looked through the bios setup screens and all ports are enabled except for USB 13 which says the bios says is not in use.

Any idea why USB 3.0 #3 and #4 are not working or otherwise inactive? Could plugging in USB connectors to other motherboard connectors have disabled these two connectors?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Joe

ROG Enthusiast Array vennacher PC Specs
    vennacher PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage IV Black Edition
    ProcessorCore i7 3970x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 64GB CMZ64GX3M8A1866C9
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX690
    Sound CardSoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium
    MonitorHP LP3065
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i v2
    CaseSilverStone TJ07
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    OS Windows 10

A couple things to check. Unplug all your USB devices. First, in your BIOS make sure all 3 USB3.0 hubs are enabled. The first two each power 2 of your external USB3 ports and the third powers the internal USB3 port. Reboot.

Second, open device manager and for view select "hidden devices" . Open USB serial bus controller and storage volumes sections. You'll likely see some entries with a solid icon and others with a shadowed icon. Delete all the shadowed icons. Next under the serial bus controller section delete all ASMedia USB3.0 extensible host controller entries and USB Root HUB (USB 3.0) entries that have a solid icon. Reboot.

Upon rebooting windows will detect the USB ports you delete and reinstall the driver.
    MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
    CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
    CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
    RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
    Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
    GFX : EVGA GTX690
    Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
    PSU : Corsair AX1200i
    Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
    Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by vennacher View Post
    A couple things to check. Unplug all your USB devices. First, in your BIOS make sure all 3 USB3.0 hubs are enabled. The first two each power 2 of your external USB3 ports and the third powers the internal USB3 port. Reboot.

Second, open device manager and for view select "hidden devices" . Open USB serial bus controller and storage volumes sections. You'll likely see some entries with a solid icon and others with a shadowed icon. Delete all the shadowed icons. Next under the serial bus controller section delete all ASMedia USB3.0 extensible host controller entries and USB Root HUB (USB 3.0) entries that have a solid icon. Reboot.

Upon rebooting windows will detect the USB ports you delete and reinstall the driver.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I will give that a try later on in the evening and let you know what I find.

Best Regards!