GL504GM - ES040T

Bios version: 307

CPU: i7-8700HQ

Memory amount in GB: 16

GPU: nVidia GTX 1060 6GB

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: 128GB ssd / 1TB hybrid

AC Adapter: original ASUS adapter

Operating system: Win 10 64-bit

Original ASUS factory image or clean install? Original factory Win10, full updated

Microsoft Activated yes/no? YES

Drivers Installed (include version and especially any non-ASUS approved notebook drivers): Original ASUS drivers

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: No

System Overclocked (provide details)? No

Any hardware upgraded? No, all factory original hardware

My laptop's audio stops randomly with no prompt whatsoever: on boot, on Chrome, on MPC-HC, Netflix app, games after being closed. It reappears, it disappear again without opening any program.
The only solution I have found is to wake the speakers up by going to Speakers properties or moving the sound level on volume mixer with the mouse.

I have tried to disinstall sonic studio, sonic radar, to update the BIOS, to search real Realtek drivers but with no luck (on the official site there is a "fishy" one? With a .txt to how install it but nothing really happens?). Also reset Windows to factory, updated it with no game installed, and it also happens.
How is it even possible?
78434 (after Win reset, nVidia WDM does not have this downward arrow on top)
78435 (this message appeared after the Win reset, without asking any installation/update authorization)

Now I read about a lot of people having TONS of performance problems while playing games. This machine should be able to do it without this kind of issues.
I had to move out from my country for work, so I could not take my desktop with me.
I am seriously thinking about asking a RMA and buy parts for a new desktop PC. With the same price range I will surely build a better desktop than this soup of issues.
17 REPLIES 17

Nihck5
Level 7
I'm also experiencing sound issues on my gl504gm. After opening the lid and waking it from sleep, sound disappears. It sometimes resumes on its own after attempting different youtube videos, but then goes away again for others. Sound also disappears from games. A restart generally restores the sound to proper working order. I've tried a windows refresh but that didn't work. The latest windows cumulative update claims to address some sound issues in its patch notes, however, that did not help the issue. Realtek has issued driver updates but the one on the official laptop support page is behind. It seems every week is a new issue with these laptops.

Nihck5
Level 7
update: a full windows reset made this problem go away. It seems I had to choose the option which erases all my files in order to solve the problem. Doing a reset with the option which kept my files also kept the problem. After a full reset, the one deleting all files, I cant reproduce the problem anymore. The eSupport folder is not deleted and so all the stock drivers are reinstalled automatically. The nvidia driver had to be reinstalled through geforce experience though, it seems the old one was installed despite it saying it's uptodate. Will update if the problem comes back.

Nihck5
Level 7
update: thought i fixed this with a full windows reset. It was fine for a few days but strangely enough it came back immediately after using the MCPR tool to uninstall mcafee live safe. I dunno how they can be related but the problem only surfaced after using their removal tool and restarting so I dunno. Hope a driver update fixes this soon.

update 2: the realtek driver update on the official support page for the gl504gv works great with my gl504gm.. no more issues.

Nihck5 wrote:
update: thought i fixed this with a full windows reset. It was fine for a few days but strangely enough it came back immediately after using the MCPR tool to uninstall mcafee live safe. I dunno how they can be related but the problem only surfaced after using their removal tool and restarting so I dunno. Hope a driver update fixes this soon.

update 2: the realtek driver update on the official support page for the gl504gv works great with my gl504gm.. no more issues.

can u send the link for the driver update of gl504gv

Nihck5
Level 7
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/HelpDesk_Download/

Choose the gv model from the drop down menu

Nihck5 wrote:
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/HelpDesk_Download/

Choose the gv model from the drop down menu

oh its a scar ii version hahah

Vsparda wrote:
oh its a scar ii version hahah

the gl504gv is the hero ii with nvidia rtx. Did this driver work for you? Mine is still great, no audio issues yet

Nihck5 wrote:
the gl504gv is the hero ii with nvidia rtx. Did this driver work for you? Mine is still great, no audio issues yet

HI,I also have GL504GM, and i have the same question for sound problem, why is the serios problem on this very good laptop?
OK, so Can this problem fixed when update that realtek GL504GV version?

I did a reset of windows for my laptop and sort of solved the fan issue AND sound issues for a while but eventually they came back. Updated the Realtek drivers to the suggested ones and they worked for a while until they didn't.

I hope ASUS does something about all these problems being posted in these boards because it would have been a waste of a great laptop if the fan/sound issues keep being unresolved.