cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you say soiled drawers?

JustinThyme
Level 13
So im just farting around with my cards nothing heavy tweaking a little with GPU tweak trying to find a sweet spot. Between decent clock and lower temps until I can get under water with my pair of 2080Ti O11G cards. The after applying the last setting I go to load port royal and the screen locks then starts and it wont load the bench. I launch GPUZ and that locks it up. So reboot, and uninstall GPU Tweak and wipe it (this is getting old as it keeps causing problems) and im none the better. OK so lets reinstall drivers.....nope loader fails. reboot and the cards have big yellow triangles in device manager. Im like great.....DDU.....nope....several attempts and then reboot, cards lights are flashing red and no display. Im like great.....$3000 worth of cards cooked. So try them one at a time....nope. Now Im thinking my PSU has crapped the bed as even though its 1500 watts these cards pull some serious juice. So pull them and put in my trusty back up and I get a display and im like great they really are cooked. Well booting into widows the circling dots stop circling.....brand new 905P drive just put it in. So hard power off and start again and disk check and repair commences all by itself, when it finishes I boot up, it loads default drivers then I install a clean install of the drivers. OK now that card is up. So lets see what happens when I yank it and put in one of the 2080Tis. It went OK, booted and reloaded drivers again and it benched a run at default no problems. Install second card and Nvlink bridge, reload again because for whatever reason it doenst like initiating SLI manually, wants you to shut down half dozen back ground apps that makes no sense and reboot....reload is just easier. So it takes no problems and I can wipe my shorts out. Ive had it do strange things but not to this level. Like it harshed the direvers and the kernel and the MBR. new drive makes me wonder but this is not the first episode with GPU tweak on these cards where it just locks in messed up whatever and I have to jump through flaming hoops to recover. Im thinking Im going to sit back a bit and not install it again until a new release comes out. It had its little quirks with pascal cards but its majorly going fubar on these 2080Ti's. Maybe needs some optimization. it wasnt clocks as I dialed it back to 1700 from 1805 just trying to ge to where I still get some decent performance without having to open my door. I guess 1650 will do for now.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein
21 REPLIES 21

xeromist
Not that I want you to soil your drawers again but it would be interesting to know if the same series of changes in another vendor's tool would cause the same issue. I guess I mean, is it the tool or does Nvidia's firmware have some issues? I suppose we'll find out if anyone else encounters this.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Not that I want you to soil your drawers again but it would be interesting to know if the same series of changes in another vendor's tool would cause the same issue. I guess I mean, is it the tool or does Nvidia's firmware have some issues? I suppose we'll find out if anyone else encounters this.

I cant seem to get After Burner or Precision X to work on these cards. Precision X installs but with errors about detection and afterburner installs lets you move sliders but wont apply any settings. That was my first try when The issue I was having was freezing in bench runs and artifacts and putting it back to default values and applying did nothing.

Im going to try Afterburner again today to see what I get. At least it didn't make my machine go bat sheet crazy. I would love to post up screenshots but its not possible when everything is just freezing up with screen going black, the sound of disconnecting hardware then the screen comes back and it eventually takes a hard reset. I tried setting BIOS to default values with no luck either. Im going to stay off of GPU tweak II for some time as I cant say for sure that this is the culprit, only that every time was after a change in settings, applying those settings, then BAM. Even GPUZ locks up or takes a very long time to load and shows default values when it should not or OC values when it should be default. If I stay off it and have no more such issues then I would have to say there is something going on with GPU tweak and Turing core.

I still have until the end of January to return for replacement but think Ill get a refund instead as their stock and prices are bouncing like crazy. Last batch they had listed at $1399, right now they are at $1379. I got mine for $1329 and jumped on them like a jack rabbit. I hate crypto miners!!! I picked same cards in 1080Ti flavor before they went through the roof for $650 each from Micro center Sequential serial numbers even. Now you cant even get the 1080Ti cards for anything less than $1200. Add Ti to it and the price doubles due to miners sucking up all the stock. I wish there was a way they could disable mining on these cards and force them to buy the $2500+ cards instead of putting these out of reach for most people. Even DOD is using GPUs for compute power for anything from weather models at NOAA to things Im not allowed to talk about but they arent using consumer grade stuff. All Quadro top dogs which makes more sense but cost on those makes these chump change with MSRP at like $9K per card.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

panzlock
Level 12
JustinThyme wrote:
...$3000 worth of cards...

I shhhoiled myself when I read the price.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Menthol
Level 14
Justin,
Do you have issues using AB, or Precision with one card only or only with 2 cards as I have no issues with either and one 2080ti.

Menthol wrote:
Justin,
Do you have issues using AB, or Precision with one card only or only with 2 cards as I have no issues with either and one 2080ti.

I have had no issue with either GPU Tweak II or AB on my 2080 Ti Strix cards in either single or SLI. Of note, I tend not to run the latest NVidia drivers unless a specific fix is needed. I'm usually a few versions back. I'm running 417.22 ATM. Also, when testing SLI one card was an OC version and the other Advanced. Didn't seem to mind it.

mdzcpa wrote:
I have had no issue with either GPU Tweak II or AB on my 2080 Ti Strix cards in either single or SLI. Of note, I tend not to run the latest NVidia drivers unless a specific fix is needed. I'm usually a few versions back. I'm running 417.22 ATM. Also, when testing SLI one card was an OC version and the other Advanced. Didn't seem to mind it.

normally that just defaults to the slower card.*

Menthol wrote:
Justin,

*tried with both.
Problem with afterburner is resolved. Has to be latest beta version or it’s a no go. Currently running the bejesus out of it without issues. Right now tweaking to get the max out of it while staying just under the power limit.*

Getting hot in herre! Had to rig a fan blowing in the back of the PCIE slots to get the temps down on the top card. Window behind PC open, it’s about 40F out. Good thing I put a window AC in that window for the summer!*

It will run up to +160 core with zero volts increases in AB. Hits power limit repeatedly so that’s pointless. *

JustinThyme
Level 13
AB seems to work on settings but Im not so sure the power and power limit graphs are correct. I actually underclocked to 1450 Turbo and still hit power limit according to their graphs like as soon as I load it up on the primary card. GPU tweak didnt show a power limit until I hit past 1780 where it was hitting it here and there and averaging 2050 output.
So in the meantime Ill just go with mediocre as I know I can hit +155 stable on air. Ill just leave it stock or maybe +100 and call it a day until I can get blocks.

EKWB replied to my email asking when on their blocks and I didnt even get a time frame at all. I got I know we are making them and to keep watching the news page for the announcement.
https://www.ekwb.com/news/

xeromist
FWIW, there are free services to notify you when a site changes. It'd be better if manufacturers had a Notify Me option, but such is life.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…