cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to flash bios G752VS when have been flashed with firmware G752VSK ?

MonsieurGreen
Level 7
Hello,

I've a little problem with my laptop Asus ROG G752VS... He have been flashed with a G752VSK...

And Winflash screen :

Is there a solution to regress on VS firmware ? A old version of Winflash ?
14 REPLIES 14

jdfrench3
Level 12
Put copy of correct BIOS file on empty USB, install USB into laptop, restart laptop, toggle F2 when laptop powers on during restart.

Once in BIOS, switch to Advanced Mode (F7), then switch to Advanced, then switch to ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utility, locate USB BIOS file and upgrade.

This is a much better way to upgrade BIOS than WinFlash.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
MonsieurGreen wrote:
Hello,

I've a little problem with my laptop Asus ROG G752VS... He have been flashed with a G752VSK...

Hi,

The FAQ below tells you how to check your bios model, but it's normal for the G752VS (7th Gen Intel Core) or some G752VS models (depending on the specs) to use the G752VSK bios since the advertised model and bios models will not always match.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1030673

Since the G752VS models can include systems using the G752VS bios or systems using the G752VSK bios depending on the specs, you need to follow the suggestions above to check your bios model or you can also check your cpu specs to get an idea.

====================

It's not possible for customers to flash the wrong model bios using the ASUS utilities, and if it did happen the system will not often even post, or would probably have some very serious problems, so it is not very likely you have the wrong bios.

The G752VSK is an internal ASUS model and is using the i7-7700HQ 7th generation Intel Kaby Lake cpu, so please check your cpu model to confirm that it is really the G752VSK model which we can advertise as the G752VS (7th Gen Intel Core) model or just G752VS too.

Feel free to check the corresponding page for your region, but below is the specifications page for the normal (not the 'OC' edition) G752VS (7th Gen Intel Core) posted on the U.S. website which we also know internally as the G752VSK model and using the G752VSK bios.
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G752VS-7th-Gen-Intel-Core/specifications/

CL-Albert, using the ASUS EZ Flash Utility you can install other BIOS versions. I have G752VSK and run the G752VS 3.04 BIOS. This is possible because both models (G752VS-7th Gen CPU and G752VSK) have simular chipsets and CPUs. Use of the G752VSK 3.02 BIOS on the G752VS is OK, I don't think damage will result. Not ideal though, the latest G752VS BIOS would be best. WinFlash has limitations and will not allow installation of an earlier BIOS version. ASUS EZ Flash does not have this limitation.

This problem gets back to ASUS naming like laptops with similar labels, then putting the support for all these models together. This is not the first time I've seen this happen. People unfamiliar with their system can go willy-nilly pretty fast. ASUS Support is contributing to this situation.

The G752VSK has the Kaby Lake I&-7820HK CPU ,uses CM238 chipset, BIOS is 4.16 large
The G752VS (7th Gen CPU) has a Kaby Lake i7-7700HQ CPU, uses CM238 chipset, BIOS is 4.16 large
The G752VS has Skylake i7 6700HK or i7 6820HQ CPU, uses CM236 chipset, BIOS is 2.61 MB small

Like sized BIOSs can be interchanged (file name can be changed as needed). Different sized BIOS will be rejected by the ASUS EZ Flash Utility. The key to BIOS working is like family CPU and chipsets.
Homebuilt Windows Server

cl-Albert
jdfrench3 wrote:
CL-Albert, using the ASUS EZ Flash Utility you can install other BIOS versions. I have G752VSK and run the G752VS 3.04 BIOS. This is possible because both models (G752VS-7th Gen CPU and G752VSK) have simular chipsets and CPUs. Use of the G752VSK 3.02 BIOS on the G752VS is OK, I don't think damage will result. Not ideal though, the latest G752VS BIOS would be best. WinFlash has limitations and will not allow installation of an earlier BIOS version. ASUS EZ Flash does not have this limitation.

This problem gets back to ASUS naming like laptops with similar labels, then putting the support for all these models together. This is not the first time I've seen this happen. People unfamiliar with their system can go willy-nilly pretty fast. ASUS Support is contributing to this situation.

The G752VSK has the Kaby Lake I&-7820HK CPU ,uses CM238 chipset, BIOS is 4.16 large
The G752VS (7th Gen CPU) has a Kaby Lake i7-7700HQ CPU, uses CM238 chipset, BIOS is 4.16 large
The G752VS has Skylake i7 6700HK or i7 6820HQ CPU, uses CM236 chipset, BIOS is 2.61 MB small

Like sized BIOSs can be interchanged (file name can be changed as needed). Different sized BIOS will be rejected by the ASUS EZ Flash Utility. The key to BIOS working is like family CPU and chipsets.

jdfrench3,

Thanks for the feedback, but I haven't been able to flash different bios models even with Easy Flash, so would be interested in getting more details as well as screenshots if you were actually able to do this.
Since it's not a good idea to flash the wrong bios model if you can actually find a way, would suggest you stop before actually flashing the bios, but just want to see if you can even load the wrong bios model without getting an error message.

As far as I know, Winflash and Easy Flash or EZ flash, just do a simple bios model matching check and if the bios models don't match, you can't flash.
According to your information, MonsieurGreen should be able to flash a different bios model for their unit, so we can wait for their feedback too.

I only have the G752VS-XB72K OC Edition with 6th gen. cpu to test right now, but Easy Flash doesn't even let me load an older bios version of the correct model as in the screenshot below.

The G752VSK OC Edition with 7820HK CPU and G752VS (7th Gen CPU) with Kaby Lake i7-7700HQ CPU should both be using the same G752VSK bios model if anybody wants to verify using the FAQ in my previous post.

Thanks.

CL-Albert, MonsieurGreen's ASUS laptop G752VS-BA548T is a French version. Please note the label on the bottom of his laptop, it doesn't identify it as a G752VSK, yet it has a CM238 chipset and i7 7700HK CPU. The 302 BIOS is correct for that model. Personally I prefer the DXDIAG confirmation. The 304 BIOS is the latest posted to the G752VS (7th Gen CPU) support page. If he wished to update his BIOS, he may do so.

I have a G752VSK OC CPU laptop with CM238 chipset and i7 7820HK CPU. The support page for my model identifies BIOS 300 and 302. I believe the BIOS 302 is identical for either model (G752VS 7thGen CPU and G752VSK OC CPU). The BIOS 304 can also be used on either model (I have it installed on mine).

WinFlash prevents installing ealier dated BIOS. ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utility allows the installation of any dated BIOS. Yes authentication is required, you can't put any BIOS and make it work. The G752VS BIOS will not work. My laptop BIOS was 304, I just verified mine by installing BIOS 300, then BIOS 302, then back to 304.
Homebuilt Windows Server

cl-Albert
jdfrench3 wrote:
CL-Albert, MonsieurGreen's ASUS laptop G752VS-BA548T is a French version. Please note the label on the bottom of his laptop, it doesn't identify it as a G752VSK, yet it has a CM238 chipset and i7 7700HK CPU. The 302 BIOS is correct for that model. Personally I prefer the DXDIAG confirmation. The 304 BIOS is the latest posted to the G752VS (7th Gen CPU) support page. If he wished to update his BIOS, he may do so.

jdfrench3, thanks again for the feedback.

Yes, the G752VSK is an ASUS internal model, so the labeling would still refer it as a G752VS model and could also be known as the G752VS with 7th gen. cpu.
If you check the G752VS download site and confirm your bios model, you will be able to select the correct G752VS or G752VSK downloads for your unit.

jdfrench3 wrote:

WinFlash prevents installing ealier dated BIOS. ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utility allows the installation of any dated BIOS. Yes authentication is required, you can't put any BIOS and make it work. The G752VS BIOS will not work. My laptop BIOS was 304, I just verified mine by installing BIOS 300, then BIOS 302, then back to 304.

Noticed the G752VS-XB72K OC Edition with 6th gen. cpu I'm testing just has 'Easy Flash' rather than EZ Flash 3 in your G752VSK OC CPU laptop with i7 7820HK CPU if it makes any difference, but it appears these different models will act differently when you try to downgrade the bios through the bios utility.

You may or may not already know there is also a way to downgrade the bios through Winflash if you check the ROG forums, so this is the method I use when it's necessary, but didn't know any of our notebook models would still allow customers to downgrade through the bios flash utility until talking to you today.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Old BIOS install can be done with winflash.
Simply launch a CMD window with admin privledges.
In the Command Prompt navigate to where Winflash is installed Default is cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash
Once the directory changes enter Winflash /nodate. It will launch the winflash environment and you can now use an older BIOS file.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Old BIOS install can be done with winflash.
Simply launch a CMD window with admin privledges.
In the Command Prompt navigate to where Winflash is installed Default is cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash
Once the directory changes enter Winflash /nodate. It will launch the winflash environment and you can now use an older BIOS file.

JustinThyme, Your tip really saved me. Thanks so much for that.

After trying to do your procedure, the only things that was difficult to me was that the software was saying that I needed to connect my charged, and is was connected. Then I find one video that told, when the system says " Please connect Charger to continue and press any key", if I press the word "risky", the system keeps his job. This happens to me because my System is having problem with the "Plugged in", but no charging problem!

So to every one, let me make a summary what I have done:

1 - Installing winflash;

2 - Download the Bios Update file that you need ( older or newer);

3 - Run CMD, and type "cd c:\program files (x86)\asus\winflash";

4 - execute winflash with " winflash /nodate" - Using this command runs winflash ignoring the version avaluation; ( Just like JustinThyme quoted )

5 - If, like in my case, the system won't recognize the charger pluged-in and doesn't procede when you press a Key, write the following " risky". The flashing will begging. This word will work even if your flashing from the Bios App.

This procedure was applied on my G752VS with legacy BIOS. I think it can be applied for all the same kind of BIOS.

Hope this could help!

MonsieurGreen
Level 7
Hello,

i've try with : ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utility on bios, but same issue, message of wrong version.
The last version og Winflash don't understand Winflash /nodate or /f

The version on windows system information of bios is VSK and on bios is also VSK. In dxdiag, the version is VSK to

I'm thinking that is the label printing on the laptop that is wrong...

Thank at all for all answers 🙂