Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Omega - where t put M.2 when using SLI and 9800x

Gaspode
Level 8
So

I'm finally assembling my beast and I'm looking to optimise the NVME

I have Samsung 970 pro that I'm really not sure how best to optimise

The PCIe slots are set up with dual RTXti and I will probably put my sound blaster in the X4 slot.

I'm a bit foggy on how the PCIe lanes thing works with the m.2 locations.

Where is the best place to put the m.2 without impacting either the soundcard or the two x16 slots ?

I know this should be obvious but I'm second guessing myself

Thanks all
9 REPLIES 9

shark75
Level 7
Where did you placed your cards?

GPU1 => PCIE 3.0 x16_1
GPU2 => PCIE 3.0 x16_2

Due to space issue you can install the sound card only in PCIE 3.0 x16_3 - or is this not the case?*if I read the manual correctly, then you would have 16x 8x with the graphics cards and not 16x 16x - which brings only a small loss with it (fps). But maybe I'm wrong... you will see it as soon as you bring up your system.

The lower M.2 slot share the bandwith with the U.2 and use PCH instead of CPU lanes. So the best way should be to install the NVMe on the upper M.2 slot or on the DIMM.2 card. This is what I'm understanding if I read the manual and specifications on the ASUS homepage.

I have my Omega here and will start to install my SLI / VROC in the next days.

shark75 wrote:
Where did you placed your cards?

GPU1 => PCIE 3.0 x16_1
GPU2 => PCIE 3.0 x16_2

Due to space issue you can install the sound card only in PCIE 3.0 x16_3 - or is this not the case?*if I read the manual correctly, then you would have 16x 8x with the graphics cards and not 16x 16x - which brings only a small loss with it (fps). But maybe I'm wrong... you will see it as soon as you bring up your system.

The lower M.2 slot share the bandwith with the U.2 and use PCH instead of CPU lanes. So the best way should be to install the NVMe on the upper M.2 slot or on the DIMM.2 card. This is what I'm understanding if I read the manual and specifications on the ASUS homepage.

I have my Omega here and will start to install my SLI / VROC in the next days.

Yeah - I've put the Samsumg Pro into 2_1 on the DIMM.2 for that reason. Again my assumption is the DIMM.2 isn't sharing the CPU lanes with the x4 slot either.

The not being able to access the x4 slot is the design flaw I hate in the Omega (unlike others I'm actually a fan) but this bit sucks as no one is doing a 100mm NVLink bridge (at least as far as I know - let me know if you know otherwise). Its annoying enough that I cant use my 4 slot bridge from the my Rampage V which is what I've been using on the Twin2080Ti up to now.

In fact as I've put EK Vectors on both the cards they are single slot cards now - bit obviously the back/input plate blocks the x4 and i'm wary of removing one …

JustinThyme
Level 13
The RTX 2080Ti is the first card to actually saturate X8 bandwidth. If your installation cuts one of the cards back to X8 expect to take a 5% or so performance hit.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I found the following video on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84OkcOYmXOk&t=7s

JustinThyme wrote:
The RTX 2080Ti is the first card to actually saturate X8 bandwidth. If your installation cuts one of the cards back to X8 expect to take a 5% or so performance hit.

Yep - no way I'm using the x16 slot for a sound card … so what I need is a 100mm NVlink bridge...

Where did you want to install your sound card if not in the PCIE 3.0 x16_3?*

shark75 wrote:
Where did you want to install your sound card if not in the PCIE 3.0 x16_3?*

in the PCIE3x4 slot directly below the 16_2 - which is what I did on the RAMPAGE V x99 - its a 4 slot NVLink option so the soundblaster slots in nicely in between on the V - whereas on the VI Omega you don't have the 4 slot option for x16 - just 3 and 5 - so if someone did a 5slot 100mm NVLink bridge that would work.

But a NVLINK bridge (100mm), which is needed for that setup, are not available on the market 😞
The maximum is actually 80mm.

shark75 wrote:
But a NVLINK bridge (100mm), which is needed for that setup, are not available on the market 😞
The maximum is actually 80mm.

Yep - kind of my point 😉

It's somewhat annoying - Asus really didn't think this through. Which is a shame as I think the Omega is great apart from the x4 slot location.