cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix Nvidia GTX 1060 Cooling Fans Not Rotating

1981_Lucian
Level 7
Hello.

I just built a new PC and I'm concerned about my ASUS ROG Strix Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU cooling fans. They rotate for a short time when the system boots, but stop rotating shortly thereafter.

Do they rotate as the GPU gets hotter?
Or is this an install issue?

The GPU is working fine otherwise, I just want to make sure it doesn't overheat.

If anyone has any info on this let me know.

Thanks,
3 REPLIES 3

Richd1963
Level 7
1981.Lucian wrote:
Hello.

I just built a new PC and I'm concerned about my ASUS ROG Strix Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU cooling fans. They rotate for a short time when the system boots, but stop rotating shortly thereafter.

The GPU is working fine otherwise, I just want to make sure it doesn't overheat.

Thanks,

:confused:
Hmm, your statement made me stop and think. I know PC's these days are more intelligent than we give them credit for. But never the less, I snatched up my flashlight and got down to take a peek at mine, since we have same family of graphics cards. My card: ROG STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING. Well, wouldn't ya know, only one out of three of my cards fans are turning at the moment.
Would you believe that I have 2 different Aura programs installed here on my new build. I guess one of them came with the included software with the Mobo and the other with the graphics card. I'm so damn new at all this RGB lighting and PWM fan stuff that I thought they worked together, but I have a sneaky suspicion that they are actually fighting each other. I have to continue to read and hopefully find more info on what program I can use to handle all my fans and lighting needs. Sure it's out there, I just have to get an education. Good luck, maybe you have already stumbled upon it.
Good luck.

Noob Richard waving

matmartin
Level 7
1981.Lucian wrote:
Hello.

Thanks,

I can't comment on the Asus 1060 because I have an MSI and I'm not an expert. However what I would do is twofold:

1) Check all power connectors. Especially to the motherboard and the GPU. PSU is always the first thing to look for.

2) If the issue still persists, install a software like CPUID HWMonitor, MSI afterburner or an ASUS software that can track both temperature and fan speed and start a GPU demanding game. I'd if it goes above 80° C (unless you have a badly cooled case) you might have a problem on your hands.

My standard two-fan 1060 6GB never gets hotter than 71 °C.

TheRock
Level 7
1981.Lucian wrote:
Hello.

Thanks,

I have the Gigabyte Nvidia 1060 and that seems normal. When the system boots all fans start and then it shows "fan stop" on the video card which means the card is not hot and don't need the fans going. When I play an online game sometimes the fans will start to cool down the card. You can install the monitoring program HWiNFo64 to watch the temps of your components.

cheers