cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32GB of RAM (2 DIMMs or 4 DIMMs)

TheTiesThatBind
Level 7
Hello there,

I'm looking to upgrade my RAM to 32 GBs. I currently use the MAXIMUS X HERO. I know that 2x16 is better for the memory controller than 4x8GB but would there be any issue if I choose to go for a 4x8GB setup? The ram will remain at dual channel as far as I know. It's easier for me to go 2x8 now and in a month or two for one more 2x8 kit instead of going straight to 2x16, plus the aesthetics are a factor that I consider. I'm going to run it on the XMP Profile and nothing more.

Any thoughts?

I would be glad to hear your thoughts/opinions on the matter

Kind regards.

I'm about to add this kit: CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 / CMW32GX4M2C3200C16

According to Corsair it's compatible with MAXIMUS X HERO, is that true?
14 REPLIES 14

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
If its on the QVL its tested to be compatible. It's that simple, anything else is at your own risk. Plain and simple.

Ch3vr0n wrote:
If its on the QVL its tested to be compatible. It's that simple, anything else is at your own risk. Plain and simple.

This is just anecdotal and marketing 100%
I, as well as several friends with Asus boards have had (and some still do) problems with QVL kits.
So reading the QVL and making the according purchase means exactly squat lately.
Asus will just say: "we only guarantee that the kit will run at JEDEC speed".

So it would be nice to not believe the quoted text.

Phillyflyer
Level 10
TheTiesThatBind wrote:
Hello there,

I'm looking to upgrade my RAM to 32 GBs. I currently use the MAXIMUS X HERO. I know that 2x16 is better for the memory controller than 4x8GB but would there be any issue if I choose to go for a 4x8GB setup? The ram will remain at dual channel as far as I know. It's easier for me to go 2x8 now and in a month or two for one more 2x8 kit instead of going straight to 2x16, plus the aesthetics are a factor that I consider. I'm going to run it on the XMP Profile and nothing more.

Any thoughts?

I would be glad to hear your thoughts/opinions on the matter

Kind regards.

I'm about to add this kit: CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 / CMW32GX4M2C3200C16

According to Corsair it's compatible with MAXIMUS X HERO, is that true?

It's been my suggestion to buy the 32GB quad kit in the beginning as you will have less chance of having issues with compatibility due to the boards Topology layout...If you decide to purchase a dual kit now...and add another same dual kit..you will more than likely have issues as mixing memory kits is not recommended.....GSkill memory..IMHO..is more compatible than the Corsair brand and less likely to cause you any issues provided it's on both vendors QVL for the board.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I am using a kit of 4 stick in 32gb ram. and i can say that have being good with any issues so far. I did own also a gskill also kit with also no issues. Like a, maybe 30 weeks i run a issue with same gskill kits. Same model, type, color... all is these but but purchase on different times. and did see issues. I test each kits individually and was ok but not stable where using on 4. (also make changes on slots just in case) Maybe bad luck. I recommend having a kit of 32 on 2 stick if possible or kit of 4 in one purchase. Almost is the same price.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

JustinThyme
Level 13
My experience has always been 8GB sticks whether its 2, 4 or 8 of them.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

stackoverflow13
Level 9
For max overclocking cpu potential the suggestion is 2x16GB as this puts less stress on the controller. Google has many articles on this, including how some of the new extreme oc boards from other vendors only have 2 dimm slots. But 4 real life use I too would suggest 4x8gb
Asus Maximus XI Formula: i9 9900k @ 5.2 GHz: 2x8GB team group Xtreem Edition @4000Mhz: 2xRTX 2080TI: 1xSamsung 970 Pro, 3xSamsung 860 pro 2TB ssd: Creative Zxr: Custom water cooled loop: 2xAsus PG27UQ 4k @144Hz Gsync.

TheTiesThatBind
Level 7
Hello there!

First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply. About the QVL thing, the QVL outdated. I contacted Corsair who claimed that there should be no compatibility issues. Plus, QVL is marketing. Even on Ryzen, RAMs on QVL might won't run stable.

Secondly, I don't plan to do any overclocking. Definitely not an extreme one. I'm currently running at 4.7 GHz all core, at 1.264V (Not the best silicon lottery sadly). I'm only gaming on my system and I might do some streaming at some point maybe.

Last but not least, I plan as the next major update on my system to happen in 2021 with the introduction of DDR5 Motherboards and RAM kits.

So, taking all the above into consideration, do I really need to go for 32 (4x8GB sticks) or should I stick to 16 (4x4 GB) sticks?

As I said, I'm aiming at 4 sticks on all 4 DIMMs for aesthetics. Maybe I won't go for the RGB thing after all and try some Trident Z red/silver instead.

If you could share an honest opinion between Vengeance RGB PRO (the new corsair kits) and Trident Z, that would be great as well!

Kind regards

stackoverflow13
Level 9
In that case just go for 16gb, more than enough for the needs you've specified. As to the kits themselves, both are excellent it's really down to the aesthetics your after, as that seems important to you, so just go with whichever you feel suits your build.
Asus Maximus XI Formula: i9 9900k @ 5.2 GHz: 2x8GB team group Xtreem Edition @4000Mhz: 2xRTX 2080TI: 1xSamsung 970 Pro, 3xSamsung 860 pro 2TB ssd: Creative Zxr: Custom water cooled loop: 2xAsus PG27UQ 4k @144Hz Gsync.

stackoverflow13 wrote:
In that case just go for 16gb, more than enough for the needs you've specified. As to the kits themselves, both are excellent it's really down to the aesthetics your after, as that seems important to you, so just go with whichever you feel suits your build.

Thanks for the answer, I'll try to search which kit I can find as 4x4 GB then in order to populate the slots and go along with that. Maybe, I'll do some patience as well, to see where the pricing of the RAM will go 😉